Home Owners Allowances

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by 307, Mar 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. 307

    307 War Hero

    Evening all, I am currently in the process of buying a property and I am wondering what allowances I am entitled to claim off of JPA if any for this. Here's a bit about my situation to help the question be better answered. I am based in Scotland but am from Nottingham and this is where the property will be. Up at work I live in the block. The mortgage will be in my name. I'm sorry if this has been done to death somewhere, but I had a quick search and couldn't find it all.
  2. If it is your first home, then other than LSAP there are no allowances to help you buy the property.

    There is however GYH(Mileage) (or whatever it is called), used to get you money to allow you to visit the property once a month (as long as it is not rented out to anyone)

    The further away from your duty station it is then the more cash you get.

    You may also be entitled to a council tax rebate, but that is between you and your council - good luck with that :D
  3. In my 20 years of home ownership whilst serving my 23 years, the army couldn't give a monkeys left arm pit if you own your own home. Apart from your own personal long term gain, you are pretty much handicapping yourself when it comes to claims.

    That said, don't let the lack of claims put you off, as when you come to leave you'll be the one laughing all the way to civvy street.

    My best advice would be to buy a property that will suit your needs when you have completed your 22. Rent it out and then live in a quarter so that you can take advantage of cheaper rents and maintain the felxibility to move around as your future career demands. Best of both worlds if done wisely.
  4. The GYH(P) or GYH(D) is only payable if you live in that property before your TOS date. Up until you're posted to your next job you're not entitled to anything if you buy a house.
  5. I always thought if you lived more than 9 miles away in private property you could claim an allowance.
  6. If you own, or privately rent a property, at which you cannot reside due to service related reasons (ie distance) and the property is empty throughout the working week then you can claim. There's no restriction on distances over 50 miles and there's no restriction at whcih point you can begin to claim. As long as nobody lives there and your name is on the Council Tax register (only name for single personnel) you can have it.

    For single personnel there have been a few more rules added as at last month, but you'd have to speak to a clerk to take you through them.