Home Office Interpreters - not needed?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by intli, Feb 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another triumph for the Home Office/Immigration mob is announced in today's news concerning two female interpreters who have been employed since 1990 but not untilised in role.

The 2 women, 1 who speaks several Indian dialects and the other who is Iranian (both British subjects) were recruited as interpreters in 1990. However, despite turning up at Gatwick and Heathrow, their services were never used and they were given filing and admin jobs.

In the meantime the HO has been paying for interpreters on an ongoing basis but from private sources, not their employees. Finally, in 2002 I believe, they decided that the interpreter posts were not needed and dispensed with them.

Both ladies are sueing through a tribunal for the usual hurt feelings etc but also on grounds that they were effectively in a post with an established salary and job description yet never used in their role.

Current estimates are in the region of £500,000 for compensation. Both also want jobs in the Home Office - you couldn't make it up, could you?

In addition there are at least 600 interpreters employed on a private basis, no doubt costing more than their own staff!
  2. Further to my last, total bill to Home Office is expected to be £2.5m if successful. Apparently when they wrote to John Reid in 2005 about their plight both were sacked immediately.
  3. FFS :frustrated:
    of course you'd sue methinks somebody was getting kickbacks from a translation agency?
  4. Sorry folks, missed a zero from my original post. Current private translators employed is 6,000 NOT 600 as I originally posted. Also, only reason the two women were dispensed with was becuase they complained that private interpreters were being paid at a higher rate, otherwise they could have cruised along in their existing situation until retirement.

HS at the time was Charles Clarke, NOT John Reid - apologies for being a mong!
  5. OMG - the level of incompetence in the Home Office never fails to amaze me!
  6. In a male orientated area, how many of the interpraters are female? Could this have been a reason?