Home Network Query

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Didosdadsdogsdead, Sep 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mrs DDDD bought a laptop yesterday, it's a very nice Sony thing with all the bells and whistles and I'm wondering if it is possible to set up the wireless gizmo to connect to my desktop at home.

The desktop already has a wi-fi card installed that talks to a digital camera so I'm wondering if it's possible to use this connection to link the lappy through the desktop (when it's switched on) and then onto the interwebby or am I better off just getting a wireless router ?

Both machines run Vista Home Premium, any thoughts or ideas please ??

2. Although possible to get the two to connect and have your desktop route traffic to the internet. By far the simplest way of doing this is a wireless router. You wouldn't have to have the desktop on to access the net on the laptop then.

3. I agree. The most efficient method id to setup a SOHO (Small Office/Home Office) network using WiFi.

If the PC is off, the laptop would not be able to connect to the web.

There is lots of material on google about this. The WiFi router may even be free from your Internet provider, if not, easiy doable for around £50.

4. Thanks for the replies, looks like a router is the way to go, cheers. :D

5. Even simpler (and more secure) to use cables... Good luck with Vista

6. I use a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router - easy set up and it talks to the household desktop, laptop, PSP and the WII. Updates are easy.

7. Agreed; I use them all the time and I (was) CCNA. Easy to set up, cheap and stable.

8. HERETIC!