Home made wine

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by supermatelot, Aug 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any experts here?
    I'm thinking of buying a DIY starter kit. Is it really as easy as it sounds and is it possible to attain decent results that will not bring on my kidney stones?

2. it is as easy as it sounds and you can make some terrific wines. Once you are more experienced you can make your own with fruits etc. Then you can experiment with sloe gin etc :)

3. Hmmm, alcoholism beckons!

My stepfather used to make wine using fruit cordial, Ribena etc.
    How long would it take approx for decent results of say 12% strength?

Cheers

4. Depends on how strong you want it you have to be patient a several months, up to a year for red, and you will have dancing on the ceiling juice

5. It is easy and a DIY kit was how I started. What I did do however was buy the kit from a little shop in my nearest town. The owner of the shop was an amazing help with hints and tips and ideas for ingredients. Far better than my orignal idea of getting it off the internet, cost me a little bit more but was worth it.
    If you are in Fareham/Pompey its in Fareham high street walking towards Aldi and the train station, just opposite the rather good Chinese restaurant and the pelican crossing. Cannot for the life of me remember what it is called.

Sloe Gin is nice, but blackberry whisky is the dogs danglies, even CINCNAGHOME drinks it and she gags at the smell of neat whisky.

Welcome to the world of advanced liver, braincell and kidney destruction :)

6. My husband inherited his love for DIY wine from his Dad. After his attempt at home brew beer many years ago turned out like TCP, I was a bit dubious about him starting to make his own wine! However it is a decision we have never regretted. Very easy to do and once you're a bit more experienced, you can experiment with your own varieties using hand picked fruit or making spirits - often lethal! The hobby seems even more common now as I've just discovered that Wilkinsons stock a limited range of wine kits that can get you started. Our favourite kits have been the strawberry and tropical pinot grigot ones. Any wines that don't quite work for you, just add sugar to taste.. Yum!

7. Ive been interested in doing this for a while now, I might be taking a trip to Wilkinsons tomorrow.

8. My grand-dad, while he could still remember his own name and what he had for breakfast by dinner time, used to make this by the gallon with stuff he'd picked while out and about - stuff like elderflower, rosehips and so on.

You could power a ******* Space Shuttle with the stuff though, and it didn't taste half bad either.

Come to think of it, there's probably still a load of it in his shed. We'll probably need to get EOD to take it away when he finally goes.

9. My friend and I have a wine making collective... and have racks of the stuff going back to 2004 !!! tips use 'Glass' demijohns only the plastic ones are not so good.... wild fruit wines may need racking a few times to get them nice and clear .... also when bottling its a good idea to bottle a small 'tester' bottle along with the normal bottles...it saves opeing a full bottle when you just want to see how its coming along... be prepared to designate a driver though when you have a 'tesing afternoon' ......

10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I quite fancy making some cider, I've got loads of cooking apples and some normal cox type ones, I also have a pear tree in the garden. I know I need a press but that is basically it.

Any tips?

11. Not intended as a hijack, but if anyone would care to expand a reply to Ravers' post...

Where's the distinction between cider and apple wine? And, since alcohol is produced by the action of sugar on yeast, is there any need to flavour it with fruit during the fermentation process?

12. I can reccomend the Beaverdale range of kits especially the Merlot one.And some good pointers on this web-site for quick drinking fruit juice wines.All the best with your new hobby. :) Wine number 1 Dry Table wine (As featured on the BBC!) - Wines at home

13. I didnt think you 'added' yeast to Home Made Cider? I thought it fermented on natural yeasts? my cousin makes it... though it has to be said he has very low expectations of his home made muck....

14. Quite right Gracie it will go with the wild yeasts.Why has your cousin low expectations of his brew?.I bet its better than that Oirish shoite thats been kited about for the last few years.