Home made sausage rolls

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by spike7451, Jul 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Home made Sausage Rolls

1 pack frozen puff pastry
    1/2 pound of your favorite Sausages (I like my butchers Pork with Black Pudding)
    Dijon or Grain Mustard (or whatever you like to be honest!)
    1 onion,finely sliced & browned off then allowed to cool (set cooked onions on kitchen paper the soak up the fat)
    Cooking oil
    1 Egg,beaten (to glase)

Brown the sausages under the grill or frying pan & drain off the fat.
    Meanwhile cut the pastry into squares & brush on mustard onto the pastry squares,spread over a layer of cooked onion & set a sausage on top of the onions to one side of the pastry.
    Roll the pastry up to cover the sausage & crimp the edges.
    Cut 2 or 3 slits into the pastry to allow steam to escape.
    Glase with the beaten egg & cook until golden.

Another variation is to wrap the uncooked sausage with a rasher of bacon,fry off the sausage & bacon & wrap in pastry & cook the same as above.

2. That sounds like a very tasty sausage roll!

Do you have any more poshed up party food under your hat?

3. Do about the same,but as we live in das vaterland use skinned bratties and sage of course!! Goes down a treat here even with fellow ex-pats! :chef:

4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

No probs jarrod & chaps.
    Another thing I like to do is get some good beefburgers from my Butcher (Got some Pork & Apple ones the other day) & some Stilton or other cheese,sandwitch the cheese between two of the burgers then grill.
    Makes one big f*ck off awesome Burger!!!

5. I think I want to marry you Spike! :wink:

6. Sounds delicious, but if you skin the sausages and just use the meat there will be no need to pre-cook the sausages. Sage always goes well with sausagemeat too.

Another tasty recipe for sausages, which is quite simple. Place sausages in oven (any type, although cocktail ones are especially nice here) then 15 minutes before cooked add some redcurrant jelly and toss the sausages in it. If you don't like redcurrant jelly it works just as well with a honey and mustard dressing. Ideal for cocktail parties.

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Never thought of that!I also use the sausages to make meat-a-balls for use in a good Italian sauce.

Wishful,My cat might get jelous...