home made air rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by cam_up, Mar 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. this may sound mad but i want to make a air rifle with a 100ftlbs power big bore like .50cal can any one give any advice blueprints makeing diagrams and so on

2. Well, you got that bit right! :D

3. You're right, it does sound mad. The legal limit for air rifles is somewhere around 12-14 ft lbs; beyond that you need a FAC. You're also quite likely to injure yourself trying to fire a weapon knocked up out of bits of old pipe and Cornflakes packets. What the hell do you plan on doing with it anyway?

4. an FAC would be a good start if your wanting more than 12 ft lbs.

5. I think you might want to ask advice on the 'Legal' forum about this first.

Is it a Wah?

6. Made a potato cannon out of plastic drain pipe once, powered with hairspray, strong enough to blow a hole through a door, will that do??

• Like Like x 1
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It will be completely illegal. That's not to say it ain't possible of course - the Shin Shung (not sure if it's Korean or Chinese) air rifle comes in .50 calibre 1-shot versions - and the power output is similar.

Sheeit - you can even get it in 80ft/lb .22 versions!

8. his sig block explains it all.

"i have serious anger issues!!!!!"

9. Looks like it may not be a Wah after all.

Enjoy : http://www.airgundepot.com/shinsung-air-rifles-50cal.html

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

aaaaaand here's the spec sheet:

It's not a one-shot - it's a TEN shot!

11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Read above :roll:

12. 12 ftlbs is deffinately the legal limit. Anything over needs to be on ticket.

13. Given that, is there any way to test the power at home?

14. A chronograph, and then some mathematical jiggery pokery involving the calibre of the pellet (i think).