home made air rifle

this may sound mad but i want to make a air rifle with a 100ftlbs power big bore like .50cal can any one give any advice blueprints makeing diagrams and so on

You're right, it does sound mad. The legal limit for air rifles is somewhere around 12-14 ft lbs; beyond that you need a FAC. You're also quite likely to injure yourself trying to fire a weapon knocked up out of bits of old pipe and Cornflakes packets. What the hell do you plan on doing with it anyway?

an FAC would be a good start if your wanting more than 12 ft lbs.

cam_up said:
this may sound mad but i want to make a air rifle with a 100ftlbs power big bore like .50cal can any one give any advice blueprints makeing diagrams and so on
I think you might want to ask advice on the 'Legal' forum about this first.

Is it a Wah?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
It will be completely illegal. That's not to say it ain't possible of course - the Shin Shung (not sure if it's Korean or Chinese) air rifle comes in .50 calibre 1-shot versions - and the power output is similar.

Sheeit - you can even get it in 80ft/lb .22 versions!

cam_up said:
his sig block explains it all.

"i have serious anger issues!!!!!"

Biped said:
It will be completely illegal. That's not to say it ain't possible of course - the Shin Shung (not sure if it's Korean or Chinese) air rifle comes in .50 calibre 1-shot versions - and the power output is similar.

Sheeit - you can even get it in 80ft/lb .22 versions!
Looks like it may not be a Wah after all.

Enjoy : http://www.airgundepot.com/shinsung-air-rifles-50cal.html

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
aaaaaand here's the spec sheet:

It's not a one-shot - it's a TEN shot!

Career Dragon Slayer. Over 192 ft-lbs! That's a serious hunting gun! This stunning precharged pneumatic rifle has what every airgunner wants: accuracy backed by truly daunting power. The Dragon Slayer 50 is made by ShinSung, a Korean company that knows what hunters really want in an airgun. After all, Koreans have been hunting with airguns for decades.The power and accuracy of the Dragon Slayer 50 would have been enough to make airgunners happy, but they added a beautiful, well-balanced hardwood ambidextrous Monte Carlo stock. Checkering on the pistol grip and forearm are another indication of the level of detail poured into this rifle's sculpted design.Cock the rifle with the sidelever and insert a .50 caliber bullet in the mammoth loading trough. When you're out in the field, that giant loading area will make it easy to pop in another bullet when you want to get off a finishing shot. There aren't any sights, so you'll have to mount a scope on the 11mm rails.The single air reservoir is located directly below the barrel and is filled with either a scuba tank, electric compressor or a hand pump. Put 3000 psi in the gun and get ready for some awesome power. Depending on the weight of your bullets, you'll get up to 192 ft-lbs of pummeling energy. A 200-grain bullet on a 3000 psi fill will sail downrange around 567 fps, while the tenth shot will go about 541 fps (approx. 2200 psi).

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
roadster280 said:
Why go for the wimpy 100lbft power? I've seen them up to 185 at 50 cal.

However, they're made by professional gunsmiths. Not in the LAD tinbasher's bay :)

It boils down to you risking your life and liberty. Gun crime is not looked on favourably these days...
Read above :roll:

cam_up said:
It sounds mad and no I won't.

The phrase five years mandatory comes to mind.

Attachments

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
roadster280 said:
Biped said:
roadster280 said:
Why go for the wimpy 100lbft power? I've seen them up to 185 at 50 cal.

However, they're made by professional gunsmiths. Not in the LAD tinbasher's bay :)

It boils down to you risking your life and liberty. Gun crime is not looked on favourably these days...
Read above :roll:
A cursory glance at the time of posting would suggest we were posting at the same time old chap.

Still 5 yrs clink though.
Indeed - not to mention the fine!

Making an air rifle FAC is a fairly pointless exercise unless you have an air rifle fetish.

To get an FAC for a high power air rifle (even at 15ft/lb) is just as hard as it is to get a live .22 licence. So, if you want FAC power, you may as well just go straight for a live ticket - the advantage of this is that a .22 live, even subsonic, will give you a great deal more downrange energy than your average FAC air rifle - and of course, you can also fire high velocity bullets for longer ranges.

Also, I've yet to see an air rifle pellet that can handle the power and still give you accurate shots.

There is another point with FAC air rifles too - if you are going to go for proper high power, it needs to be at least 50ft/lb, otherwise your supersonic pellet will go transonic too early, start tumbling or at best get buffeted to fcuk and then fly of into Mrs Brady's favourite cat.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stan_Da_Bout Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 28
Fat_Cav Health and Fitness 20
vvaannmmaann Cookery 17