Home invasion evasive behavior

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by alib, Nov 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Truth about Violence: 3 Principles of Self-Defense by Sam Harris
    The rest is worth reading. He argues basically avoid conflict and if it starts get the hell away as fast as possible. This is basically good advice outside of turf wars, screaming like a scalded sissy as you run away flinging valuables in every direction is also best practice.

In my experience burglars will take their chances with an occupied house even if it is also likely to be armed but its probably safest to assume the worse. Some will kill in the excitement of flight, especially if on their 3rd strike, a few come with that direct intent. Common police advice in the US on detecting an intruder is to forget about that new plasma screen downstairs, grab the firearms, get the family into a secure room and call 911, a tricky maneuver best practiced.

I do think it might take quite a lot of mental preparation for 250 pounds of Papa Bear actually to be legging it out the patio doors as the machete gets taken to the twins. However it certainly increases his odds of survival, I may start rehearsing this shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Makes sense, but could you live with the guilt of the kids being murdered because you legged it?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Worse if you legged it and they survived!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Wouldn't be as bad as them being murdered infront of you, knowing you did nothing to try and stop it.

5. Many single storey homes in the US have what is called a split plan design. That means the parents room is away from the kids room so that they don't hear the occasional bedroom athletic events. Then you have a 3 way split allowing for a guest room to be seperate from the other areas. These kind of designs creates a defence problem should anything ever happen. We have a 3 way split, our SOP is that wife goes to child in one area and I go the child in the other area moving through the main living area clearing it as I move. Yes, we both have pistols with lights fitted - Glock 17 and 19.

Florida is no problem. They have what is called a castle doctrine, this means if they set foot in your home you can shoot them. Add to that the fact that Florida has a no-retreat policy, this means you do not have to attempt to avoid conflict. Some States demand that you retreat until you can go no further before you may engage a target........errr, defend your family and yourself is what I meant. Add to that the fact that most grannies when they retire here buy themselves a .38 special for their bedside table and handbag qnd burglars just don't want to risk it.

However, because everyone can own a gun here the occurence of burglaries in my area is reasonably low. Our City (well they call it a City) has 25,000 inhabitants and there were on average 9 burglaries a month for the last quarter. I spoke with a plod from the neighbouring city yesterday and he said that the pre-christmas burglaries are on the rise there already. They are however a very affluent area next to another area that is considered to be economically affected.

There is a guy called Massad Ayoob, a septic police Captain, who teaches a course intended for the armed. Not only does he cover the practical elements of shooting he addresses dealing with violent encounters, dealing with the police post encounter and also how to manage yourself with lawyers after an incident. He has many Judges and Lawyers who attend his course to learn about the practicalities of citizen involved defensive shootings. His bottomline advice is, "If someone is breaking into your house and you shoot them either wait until they are in the window or if they fall back out of the window drag them back in the window".

To give an example of what is allowable - in Texas. Some years ago a bunch of Brit lads were on holiday in Texas and out on the piss. On the way back to their villa on foot they were making enough noise to wake the dead. They were also running up pathways to pound on peoples front doors.......for a larf. One of the lads runs up to one door, pounds on it and drops dead on the ground. The owner of the house had shot him through the door because he thought there was a home invasion. Dead 18 year old Brit, no charge to answer for the home owner.

• Like Like x 1
  6. If you cant face the thought of legging it then take his 2nd suggestion and press your own attack. The real messsage here is dont hope that co-operating will result in a pleasant outcome. Someone who enters your house armed is almost certainly willing to use the weapon and, even if he isnt, it is reasonable for you to assume that he is and act accordingly. As stated "peaceful" burglars would normally target empty properties in preference to occupied ones so that fact that you are at home should be enough to suggest a more malicious intent or, at the very least, a dangerous level of desperation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I see your point Ding - you never know when you might need a kidney!

• Like Like x 1
  8. That's a blast from the past, remember quite a few articles from him in SoF and similar magazines many moons ago.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I could have made good use of that law on Halloween!

10. I've told the twins they are replaceable and they just need to show the love for Papa Bear.

11. So is his, a hatchet lives by my bed.

12. The reality is you will not be able to leg it.

You are woken by a noise, by the time you are awake enough to consider that you may be getting burgled or facing a robbery you are not going to be able to get out of the house. In the UK you can barricade at the top of the stairs to keep the intruders downstairs, or you can jump out of an upstairs bedroom window practicing your best PLF. There is no way you can past the intruder to get out of the front door, back door or patio door. UK bungalows tend to have their bedrooms located in the same area so it is easier to barricade in those too.

In the US house design is a different, as stated bedrooms tend to be seperated so you either sacrifice a kid - tempting with a teenager, or you plan on a fight. House design and construction in the US is generally piss poor so where you hear of home invaders kicking in the front door - it can be easily achieved.

Having been a UK plod I learnt a modicum about crime prevention; fitting the right locks, good doors, good windows, alarms etc, etc. I don't know what it is with them here they spend so much time posturing with guns to protect themselves they don't look at the basics of stopping the feckers from getting into the house in the first place. If you speak to a plod here they don't have a clue about basic crime prevention or the measures that can be implemented to prevent or deter ingress to a property. My house is kitted out to a decent UK spec to keep unwanted visitors out or to give me enough warning that they are trying to get in - then they say hello to Gaston.

I have been a squaddie, a UK plod, I know some US plods [and in three years I want to be a US plod] and from the experience I have of speaking to victims it is difficult to evade a home invasion. You've got to have a plan to deal with it and that plan should concentrate on the protection of life - forget property, you can replace property, you can't replace your 5 year old.

Burglaries are different. Most people don't even know they have been burgled until they have woken up, washed dressed and then find a turd or puddle of piss in their living room where the intruder had to let go. Its scary though, knowing that someone was in the house and you did not know. Stick up a couple of extra locks and security lights, especially with the lead up to xmas, and you reduce the chances of anything happening.

Edit: For the more delicate amongst you, it is not uncommon to find a turd or puddle of piss at the scene of a burglary. The most insulting part for the house owner is the fact that when it is a turd the dirty git has wiped his arse on the best drapes or table cloth ........ good for DNA matching though.

13. I've got a perimeter CCTV with HDD recording system. It's also got motion detection and anything bigger than a dog moves in the garden and it sounds an alarm indoors. Great bit of kit, it can even be set to ring my mobile with a video link if something is detected when I'm away. Wife loves it, it goes bleep and she can look at the CCTV monitor and see who's coming to the fromt door when she's home and I'm out.

14. Good drills, I have a similar widget looking past the side garage down the driveway.

Believe it or not, back to beating my crime prevention drum, CCTV is still in its infancy in the US. Nothing like the coverage and usage that there is in the UK.

It is considered an infringement of their freedom here. I worked with Tampa plod some years ago and we were talking about basic crime control measures like CCTV. They told me that they put a load of cameras up and had to take them down again after privacy complaints.

What works well is using a motion detector to set off a flashing light and siren - not too loud. The psychological effect on a domestic burglar is amazing they almost have a bowel release and then leg it.

15. "Effendi" quote & snipped for relevance, "Florida is no problem. They have what is called a castle doctrine, this means if they set foot in your home you can shoot them. Add to that the fact that Florida has a no-retreat policy, this means you do not have to attempt to avoid conflict. Some States demand that you retreat until you can go no further before you may engage a target........errr, defend your family and yourself is what I meant. Add to that the fact that most grannies when they retire here buy themselves a .38 special for their bedside table and handbag qnd burglars just don't want to risk it.

My cousin, a serving officer who just happened to be on his units pistol shooting team, was posted to our embassy in Washington DC, many moons ago. He rented a house just outside the City in Virginia, taking his 9 m/m Browning with him. As he had declared this & was on the diplomatic staff he was visited by a State Policeman to check up on it. When the Policemen asked where he kept the weapon he replied it was safely locked up in a secure cabinet! The Policeman laughed and told him to keep it somewhere handy like on the bedside cabinet as if anyone broke in he was entitled to shoot them, he also advised to shoot to kill as "dead men dont tell tales"!