Home insurance

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Peter_Skellen, Aug 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Looking for home insurance for a civvy privately bought house. I live up north however am based down south. Having rang around a lot wont insure because of the property being unoccupied for a lengthy period of time. Although it is only Mon-Fri and its never no longer than 30 continuous days, some are being funny and classing it as unoccupied.

    Now there's got to be other in the same boat as myself? What insurance company have you found that help squaddies? Towergate are a no because of the location of the property.

    The only other option is not to tell them but would this cause dramas if I ever needed to make a claim?

  2. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    A property which is empty for 5 days out of 7 presents a higher risk than one which has someone in the house for most days, even if only to kip for a while. This is why some insurers are less keen, or may charge a bit more.

    Bottom line - inform them and get it in writing. It will be better in the long run.
  3. Mega cheers pal, think I've found one now. Cheers very informative answer
  4. My mum's neighbour (not a squaddie) has the same problem, although he's away for months on end. He got around it by asking friends and neighbors he trusted to call in when they could, look around the place and sign a log to say they'd been there. The place is visited 4 or 5 times a week, and the Insurance company is happy with this.