• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Home insurance

Looking for home insurance for a civvy privately bought house. I live up north however am based down south. Having rang around a lot wont insure because of the property being unoccupied for a lengthy period of time. Although it is only Mon-Fri and its never no longer than 30 continuous days, some are being funny and classing it as unoccupied.

Now there's got to be other in the same boat as myself? What insurance company have you found that help squaddies? Towergate are a no because of the location of the property.

The only other option is not to tell them but would this cause dramas if I ever needed to make a claim?

Cheers

The_Duke

LE
Looking for home insurance for a civvy privately bought house. I live up north however am based down south. Having rang around a lot wont insure because of the property being unoccupied for a lengthy period of time. Although it is only Mon-Fri and its never no longer than 30 continuous days, some are being funny and classing it as unoccupied.

The normal clause is not more than 30 continuous days. It might be that someone is getting a bit jumpy and saying no because they don't really understand.

Now there's got to be other in the same boat as myself? What insurance company have you found that help squaddies? Towergate are a no because of the location of the property.

You have probably done this already, but use any of the comparison sites, and then give them a call to confirm. If you decide to buy from one of them, get them to confirm by email or as an endorsement to the policy that they acknowledge your use pattern. It will help in the event of a disputed claim. Failing that, a broker may be able to help you.

The only other option is not to tell them but would this cause dramas if I ever needed to make a claim?

You are operating under the policy of "utmost good faith". You are obliged to answer their questions, but also obliged to offer any information which may affect the decision of the insurer about whether to offer you a policy or at what price. If you fail to disclose this information and it is material to a subsequent claim, it might prove costly. There are moves by the Ombudsman to move to a "if the insurer needs to know, they must ask a specific question" system which will avoid this, but result in massive proposal forms!.

Cheers
A property which is empty for 5 days out of 7 presents a higher risk than one which has someone in the house for most days, even if only to kip for a while. This is why some insurers are less keen, or may charge a bit more.

Bottom line - inform them and get it in writing. It will be better in the long run.

My mum's neighbour (not a squaddie) has the same problem, although he's away for months on end. He got around it by asking friends and neighbors he trusted to call in when they could, look around the place and sign a log to say they'd been there. The place is visited 4 or 5 times a week, and the Insurance company is happy with this.

Latest Threads