• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Home for injured soldiers opens 17 Aug 09

Home for injured soldiers opens

The UK's first Army recovery centre for injured and unwell soldiers is opening in Edinburgh.

The convalescing centre is a special 12-bed facility for soldiers at the Erskine Edinburgh Home.

It will cater for soldiers who have been injured on duty and are not well enough to go back to their unit straight away.

The centre is part of a pilot scheme, which will be rolled out across the UK if it proves successful.

The facility is being seen as a stepping stone, where injured soldiers can get treatment, work towards getting promotion or move onto civilian life.

A spokeswoman for the centre said: "This new extension to the Erskine home aims to bridge the gap between hospital and Army life.

"It is state of the art, with a gym, internet cafe and individual bedrooms with specially adapted bathrooms."

The Army said soldiers could be out of action for 12 months while they recover at the home, and it was often difficult to integrate back into army life at their unit. ...
Home for injured soldiers opens - full article from BBC Scotland

more from:

Erskine

Help for Heroes

About bl**dy time.

Also the National trust should supply a couple of places for forces use without even being asked.

Edited for swine flu induced poor spelling.

A long time coming but nevertheless a wonderful facility. Let's hope we can get similar facilities all round the country as quickly as possible.

elovabloke

ADC
I was suprised to see a medical rehab unit run by a bleep major and a gym with a couple of bikes and tread mills in it.

Nice to see someone is making a few bob by having a pay as you drink, drinks machine available. Or did they just show the outside areas.

One wonders (rhetorically), why this is a single service facility - since all medical care is now joint, it would seem to make more sense to have facilities available to all service personnel, even though the majority of operational cas are army.

ViroBono said:
One wonders (rhetorically), why this is a single service facility - since all medical care is now joint, it would seem to make more sense to have facilities available to all service personnel, even though the majority of operational cas are army.
From todays piece on the news I'd say because it's to small.

Saw it on the news, great news. Had to chukle though at the first lad interviewed who was obviously over awed by the camera. He drilled into the ground at about 85Mph during a sport parachute jump after his main failed and his secondry partially failed. wonder if he does the lottery.

King_of_the_Burpas said:
Isn't it just a bit shocking that a charity had to fork out to make this happen?
My thoughts but you will notice that the Rt Oon (I cannot sound my H's) Cnut will be all over it like a rash along with his, "The public must do more to respect our troops" speech.

elovabloke said:
King_of_the_Burpas said:
Isn't it just a bit shocking that a charity had to fork out to make this happen?
My thoughts but you will notice that the Rt Oon (I cannot sound my H's) Cnut will be all over it like a rash along with his, "The public must do more to respect our troops" speech.
Of course the timing of the opening ceremony had nothing to do with the MoD's release of stats about the number of wounded in Afghamistan.

Their media management is really pisspoor.

I think its a disgrace that there isnt a govt funded place set up of similar idea, Fantastic effort by whoever dug their hand into there pocket to pay for it but realistically 12 beds wont be enough for the week, the Govt certainly working by the notion that if they can

Was thinking that mesel Dev, could be the Acting/Substansive thing or a transfer to the regs?
And to honest would they put a newly demoted ossifer in a prime spot like that?

Latest Threads