Home for christmas????

#1
I've put my application in about a week ago, so it's at the bottom of the pile up in Glasgow now.

I'm assuming my training will start in around three months time. Will i get to come home around christmas time?

In fact, what sort of ''go home'' time do you get during phase 1?

Thanks

Priest
 
#2
For a start, dont be concentrating on home before you get there. Yes youll get leave at christmas and a long weekend at the end of week 6
 
#3
You'll be driving home for christmas. I bet you can't wait to see those smiling faces.
 
#5
Si just re-enlisted so my discharge docs are in that pile too at glasgow somewhere, i too should be starting 2-3 months, listen to the other guy though, dont be thinking about home during basic, just dont go there at all, you will get homesick anyway but youll just make yourself worse, and think of leave as a bonus or a reward for working hard rather than a privilege because im afriad once your in their hands you have no privileges.... any questions about basic mate don't hesitate to PM me and ask for msn or something id be pleased to give you the headsup ;)
 
#6
britisharmy1 said:
Si just re-enlisted so my discharge docs are in that pile too at glasgow somewhere, i too should be starting 2-3 months, listen to the other guy though, dont be thinking about home during basic, just dont go there at all, you will get homesick anyway but youll just make yourself worse, and think of leave as a bonus or a reward for working hard rather than a privilege because im afriad once your in their hands you have no privileges.... any questions about basic mate don't hesitate to PM me and ask for msn or something id be pleased to give you the headsup ;)
hey mate...got basic in 15 days!!! (1st july) at catterick (going in for rifles)...so any info would be great...please PM me if you have advice etc.

much apreciated, thank you for your time

Brett
 
#7
Do you get a travel warrant for the train or are you left to your own devices to get home?
 
#8
tomjj said:
Do you get a travel warrant for the train or are you left to your own devices to get home?
Do try and use the search tool.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=70218.html

JSP 752 SECTION 5, CHAPTER 3
GET YOU HOME (EARLY YEARS)

GENERAL

05.0301. Aim. The aim of Get You Home (Early Years) (GYH(EY)) is to enable
junior members of the Services in the UK to maintain links with their close
family/friends and home area while they adjust to Service life. The allowance is for
journeys between the Service person�s duty station or Residence at Work Address
(RWA) in the UK and a qualifying address in the UK or the Republic of Ireland. The
allowance is normally warrant based.

05.0302. Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions (NICs). GYH(EY)
is non-taxable.

DEFINITIONS

05.0303. Qualifying Service. Qualifying service, for the purposes of GYH(EY) is
defined as the first 3 years of full-time service on a regular commission or
engagement. Previous service in the Regular Armed Forces is to be counted when
assessing eligibility for GYH(EY).

05.0304. Qualifying Addresses. Qualifying addresses are to be restricted to the
addresses of the following:

a. A registered Next-of-Kin/Emergency Contact.
b. A parent/guardian or close blood relative.
c. A parent/guardian or close blood relative of the Service person�s
spouse/civil partner.
d. A fianc�(e), intended civil partner or long-standing friend.
e. A residence where the Service person has established a home.
f. A Boarding School where the Service person has a child(ren) being
educated.
g. An address in an area in which the Service person intends to settle after
discharge. This is applicable only to those who have a firm discharge date
within 6 months of the date of the GYH(EY) journey. Any address is eligible,
including a hotel, boarding house, or the home of a friend or relative in the
chosen area, but Subsistence Allowance may not be claimed.

05.0305. Entitlement Year. An entitlement year is a period of 12 months. The
first entitlement year commences from the first day of recruit or initial officer training.
The subsequent 2 entitlement years commence from the anniversary of that date.

ELIGIBILITY

05.0306. Eligible Service Personnel. All Regular Service personnel will be
eligible for GYH(EY), irrespective of PStat Cat, if they are on a full-time regular
commission or engagement, are within their first 3 years of service and assigned in the
UK. For Reserve personnel, this eligibility is unlikely to extend beyond Full Time
Reserve Service (Full Commitment) (FTRS (FC)) and mobilised personnel. Former
regular service counts towards the initial 3-year maximum period. Eligibility to
GYH(EY) will continue when Service personnel are in receipt of GYH Travel or LSA.

INELIGIBILITY

05.0307. Ineligible Service Personnel. Service personnel are ineligible if:
a. They have completed 3 years or more full-time service on a regular
commission or engagement or on Full-Time Reserve Service or mobilised,
including previous service in another branch, trade or Service.
b. They are assigned overseas.
c. They are assigned to a Seagoing Longer Separation Allowance
Qualifying Unit (SLQU) (see Chapter 1 Section 2).

.
 
#9
It's not that i'll miss home or anything once i'm on basic. It's just the missus is flying back to the u.k around christmas, so it'd be good to be home around that time.

Whats the deal with age groups when you join up? I'm 23, am i gonna be training with similar aged people or will it be a case of everyone together young and old?
 
#10
I was wondering, I start basic on the 22nd of September so considering its 14 weeks basic the 14 weeks should finish on the 29th of December i thought that there might be a chance of there being leave for christmas but surely that wouldnt be the case so close to the end of basic training?
Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated Hendo
 
#11
hendo24 said:
I was wondering, I start basic on the 22nd of September so considering its 14 weeks basic the 14 weeks should finish on the 29th of December i thought that there might be a chance of there being leave for christmas but surely that wouldnt be the case so close to the end of basic training?
Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated Hendo
I was actually thinking the same thing, I also start on this date... i think the best thing to do mate would be to ring the AFCO.
 
#12
priest said:
It's not that i'll miss home or anything once i'm on basic. It's just the missus is flying back to the u.k around christmas, so it'd be good to be home around that time.

Whats the deal with age groups when you join up? I'm 23, am i gonna be training with similar aged people or will it be a case of everyone together young and old?
If you get there quick first 10 get there own room and maid service.
 
#13
priest said:
It's not that i'll miss home or anything once i'm on basic. It's just the missus is flying back to the u.k around christmas, so it'd be good to be home around that time.

Whats the deal with age groups when you join up? I'm 23, am i gonna be training with similar aged people or will it be a case of everyone together young and old?
Junior Entry - 16 - 17.5 year olds train together

CMS SE - 18 - 28 (i think maybe younger or older) train together, why is that going to be a problem or something? ive seen many young recruits aged 18 show the skills of a 30 year old NCO so dont be worrying wether they are going to be dragging the platoon down, you are all going to be in the same boat.
 
#14
Jamie_Mayer said:
hendo24 said:
I was wondering, I start basic on the 22nd of September so considering its 14 weeks basic the 14 weeks should finish on the 29th of December i thought that there might be a chance of there being leave for christmas but surely that wouldnt be the case so close to the end of basic training?
Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated Hendo
I was actually thinking the same thing, I also start on this date... i think the best thing to do mate would be to ring the AFCO.
Yes you will get christmas leave from around the 21st of december to the 3rd/4th of january too long of a leave in my opinion some would disagree though.

Did I mention you get a christmas dinner at the scoffhouse, few beers and the officers even serve you, YES they serve the recruits dinners :D and also a few speeches and whatnot, im re-enlisted for basic and count myself lucky to be training over xmas but personally dont agree with 2 weeks leave... i think i might go home for 3 days and just live on the camp for the rest thrashing myself in the gym whilst most recruits mong it at home....

This definately applies to Pirbright, if your going to Catterick etc it should be the same I was told by someone who works at ATRP this applies to all army bases across the UK.
 
#15
Plus of course you will get all the Bank Holidays off plus a few extra days off for travelling. No overseas tours if they should be a bit inconvenient and you will be asked if you would like to volunteer for guard duties , just make sure the SSM says please when he asks you .
 
#16
OldTimer said:
Plus of course you will get all the Bank Holidays off plus a few extra days off for travelling. No overseas tours if they should be a bit inconvenient and you will be asked if you would like to volunteer for guard duties , just make sure the SSM says please when he asks you .
Really though when you think about it we get a sh1t load of time off, possibly more than some civvy workers.
 
#17
britisharmy1 said:
Jamie_Mayer said:
hendo24 said:
I was wondering, I start basic on the 22nd of September so considering its 14 weeks basic the 14 weeks should finish on the 29th of December i thought that there might be a chance of there being leave for christmas but surely that wouldnt be the case so close to the end of basic training?
Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated Hendo
I was actually thinking the same thing, I also start on this date... i think the best thing to do mate would be to ring the AFCO.
Yes you will get christmas leave from around the 21st of december to the 3rd/4th of january too long of a leave in my opinion some would disagree though.

Did I mention you get a christmas dinner at the scoffhouse, few beers and the officers even serve you, YES they serve the recruits dinners :D and also a few speeches and whatnot, im re-enlisted for basic and count myself lucky to be training over xmas but personally dont agree with 2 weeks leave... i think i might go home for 3 days and just live on the camp for the rest thrashing myself in the gym whilst most recruits mong it at home....

This definately applies to Pirbright, if your going to Catterick etc it should be the same I was told by someone who works at ATRP this applies to all army bases across the UK.
Seems rather piontless i would rather get cracking on basic! was wondering if they still kept up the tradition of officers serving for christmas dinner! Thanks for the reaply
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top