Home Brew

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by B_AND_T, Apr 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Watching River Cottage or something the other night, 2 blokes were making homemade ginger beer. Easy receipe, sugar, yeast, load of lemon and ginger. Left it 2 days before drinking. It had the same alcohol content as a pint of best.

Does anyone else have any simple methods of making homebrew? Reason being is that I'm a tight git.

2. Ask Kirkz for his recipe.

3. Have looked into it for the same reasons but haven't actually taken the plunge yet. From what I have found you can buy a kit online for about £50 which is reusable and will cost about £15 a time after that for 30 odd pints.

You can also just buy "turbo yeast" fire it into whatever you want to ferment, fruit juice for example and let it do it's thing releasing the pressure every couple of days. Or same thing with champagne yeast. Apparently bakers yeast dies when it gets to 2-3% abv.

Also saw Hugh produce cider by pressing a load of apples mixing with water and sugar and sticking it in a pastic bin to let natural yeast in the air do its thing.

There is a home brew thread on here somewhere as it featured heavily in my "research"

4. I don't think 2 days would give you a brew to get pissed on, it would be a pleasant fizzy pinic tipple for all the family.

you need to google 'Homebrew' to get your potent stuff.

There is a thread on here which points you to Echt Deutsche kits

5. Hells Bells ... reminded me of the " Ginger Beer Plant " which was all the rage , many moons ago , when I was a lad . IIRC based on yeast , ginger and lemon and fed daily on sugar ... the mix was bottled into screw top pop bottles ... left to " mature " during which time bottle tops would be blown out with the contents sprayed everwhere . One of the great things was that after bottling you split the " Plant " in two and could pass half onto your mates .

6. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I remember doing that as a kid!

7. B and T: Home Brewing is one of the best hobbies ever to take up. It's sounds difficult and can be a bit labour intensive BUT the results are well worth it. (About 60 - 90 minutes to Brew and about the same to bottle it all) We prefer to call it Craft Brewing nowadays, due chiefly to the negative conotations of the term 'Home Brew' which are based largely on the 1970s student attempts which were invriably f*cked up due to poor hygiene and impatience. Capital outlay will be about £90. Go to www.homebrew.uk or Google Jimsbeekit.co.uk/forum.

I've made 38 batches over the past few years with only 1 failure which was my fault for taking a short-cut on sanitation. Rsult was 20 Litres of, stinking liquid. My Stouts, Bitters, IPAs and Dark Ales are top notch and have many admirers. For my kids I even put on a lager ( yeah I know, absolutely no finesse - my kids). All brews work out at about 35 - 40p per pint and a batch is 5 Gallons.

All of the above drinks made from Beer 'Kits', but now I've pregressed to grain brewing and have a micro brewry in the sh*d and though Grain is even more labour intensive, the smell of beer in the making is simply heaven. The results are very satisying too.

Started growing my own hops and should have the first of the crop in Sep 13.

So, crack-on. I think there's a thread on the subject on ARRSE as well.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I've got a couple of demijohns of cider bubbling away happily in the kitchen as we speak. What I'm absolutely not going to do is put it all through the still that I haven't made out of an old pressure cooker to make some particularly vicious applejack. Oh no. Not me.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Scabbers, since you seem to be the man in the know. How much space, roughly, do the home brew kits for IPAs and such like take up? I've been toying with the idea for a while but space is a premium and my missus would kill me if I set up a load of kit that takes up half the kitchen.

10. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

What was your address again?..........

• Like Like x 1
  11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Just what I was thinking.

Cheers for the info so far!

12. I'll have a dig through my old notebooks and stick a couple of recipes up later if I remember. :)

13. Soggy4978: Making it in the kitchen is always a bit of bind, but I simply do it whilst 0A is at church or doing her good works. The fermenter is the biggest item and you need somewhere warm to keep it when full of the brew (wort) for about a week. Mine was in the downstairs Karzi until 0A got fed up with it, so I bought small submersible heater which allows you to park the vessel out of the way somewhere like under the stairs. (The heater is a bit like an aqaurium heater e.g. an electric fire element in a test tube).

Your biggest worry will be storing the finished product. I don't drink in the week and to be honest my consumption at the week-ends is quite modest so stock control can be a bit of a problem, though I simply would not have the gumption to avoid HMRC customs in flogging off certain brews to friends neighbours and colleagues at £1-10p per bottle the 10p being deposit on the bottles which are expensive to keep chucking out. Tip hang around you loacl recycle centre after Christmas / New Year - plenty of bottles there for the taking.

It can be done - and in terms of space required for storage of kit...under the stairs would be a good example, but the sh*ds or garages are equally usable providing you have a heater. As an aside, whilst fermenting, the temp has to remain pretty constant, so I lag it with the Softy Jacket that HM provided me some years ago - works a treat and saves electricity as well as the life of the heater - which is thermostically controlled anyway, but you don't need it constantly switching on an off. I was brewing during the sub zero temps in Jan 12 with no problems.

Do your home work first, read-up, follow the blogs, (PM me if you wish), then make a start. Warning.....it becomes a habit.

Currently Brewing Cooper's European Lager in time for the summer BBQ season. Lager takes about 3 months to condition after bottling. Ales can be drunk in a couple of weeks but I always leave it 6 weeks.

Christ it's only 1500 and I'm ready for a pint now !

• Like Like x 1
  14. Got 350 litres of ginger beer brewing but the recipe is proprietary. What I can tell you is simple is better, avoid white sugar and use barley malt if you can, along with fresh ginger. Ale yeast gives good flavour. About 10g dry yeast in 5 gallons should do the trick. Fermentation is about 8-10 days with SG of around 1063 and final gravity of around 1040. Secondary fermentation at around 4-10 deg C in the bottle or cask for ten days gives a really nice fizz. You can up the alcohol by allowing full fermentation but you'll lose the sweetness doing that.

Also got a couple of kegs of Bock and Bitter in the fridge which have been conditioning for the last six weeks I was away. The Bock has a strong chocolate flavour from using crystal malt. Dribbling down my shirt as I type.

In agreement with Scabbers, lagers ferment at around 10 deg C and ales around 15-17 deg. Conditioning for three months is good but they're generally drinkable around five weeks or so. Ales are OK from around three to four weeks I find. Longer conditioning does make the flavours a lot fuller, so it's a toss up between thirst and quality.

15. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

If brewing from kits or extract you don't need too much gear, a couple of big stock pots for the stove, a 5 gallon fermenting vessel and something to keep the beer in, either bottles or a 5 gallon keg. Expect kits to cost between £12 and £22 for 5 gallons (40 pints).

Brewing all-grain needs more kit, all the above plus a mash tun and a boiler (and ideally at least 2 kegs so you can keep stocks up).

Here's my set-up:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cookery/166453-real-ale-real-men-11.html#post3969644

All grain is cheaper to make, about 22p a pint for the ingredients and electricity. I find it better than many commercial beers.