Holy Flying Circus-BBC Four

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by ZappBrannigan, Oct 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got round to watching "Holy Flying Circus" the Monty Python fictional story of how Life was Brian was deemed to be too blasphemous and banned by certain councils throughout the UK in 1979.Not what i expected,it was hilarious and brilliant acting from all concerned especially Ben Crispin who played John Cleese.Anyone else see it?Can be found on BBC iPlayer for a few days yet or no doubt be repeated on BBC Four at some point in the future.

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I thought the actors were alright and were fairly good impressionists.

That's it.

I've heard John Cleese wanted to be involved but was fucked off by the producers. Could've been much better with a real Python's input.

3. Really? Most of their stuff was dire, the odd momerable sketch but otherwise utter toss.
    Their greatest achievement seems to be they inspired/paved the way for other funnier comedians.

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Blasphemy - how dare you gainsay Monty Python :)

In fact you sound just like my father when MP first came on TV!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Have you ever rewatched it? It hasn't aged well. The films fare no better!

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

He did it again!! Stone him, stone him!!!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. I saw it too, and thought it superb. Nearly worth paying the license fee...

I think Life of Brian is the second funniest film of all time. After Spinal Tap, of course.

'These go up to eleven'

I think the reason John Cleese might have been 'fucked off'' by the producers was because he has lost it, is now a dull and deluded old fart and is no longer funny. That's what joining the Monster Raving Liberal Democrat Party does to a person.

8. Does it have to age well? It was of its time and funny in context.

There are a vanishingly small number comedians that are still funny after 30 odd years and none at all where everything they did is still funny.

So no more of that from you or it is time for ..... the comfy chair!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Next _ The Beatles were SHIIIIIIITT!

And I'll have 2 points 2 rounds and a bag of gravel for the stoning (I'n a very deep masculine voice)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

At least we can agree on something.

******* scouse mopheaded hippy *****.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Loved it! Some of the portrayals were uncanny, Ben Crispin and Steve Punt in particular. I loved the malcolm Muggeridge "I've shagged his wife" sequence.

12. Stepdad's claim to fame he knocked John Lennon out sparko when he was living in N.Wales, he did a repeat performance with one Julian Lennon a few yrs later.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just watched it on the BBC iPlayer. Like all comedy it was a bit hit and miss but many more hits than misses and I think the misses may have been planned anyway.

I've had it verified...

You've turned the beer...

• Like Like x 1
  14. What exactly was the point to this comedy play? Was it a slightly zany uptake of the furore caused by Life of Brian, and the subsequent TV debate. Or was it just a tribute to the Pythons? I've attempted to watch this twice and failed miserably through boredom, so won't be bothering again. That said, i appreciate that they were trying to put a surreal edge to the play, as homage to Monty Pythons original remit in the 60s/70s. Sadly they failed IMO, because they were trying too hard to copy the Pythons characters post MPFC...A missed opportunity me thinks.

15. All of the above.