• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Holts banking

First of, I have used the search function and not found a this specific topic covered.

I have just been allocated my start date for phase one training, at ADSC they gave us a letter promoting holts banking (part of RSB). I was curious to others opinions/experiences with this bank and if they are any better than civi banks and worth going with.

Cheers in advance

Rather like Cox & Kings they're just a slightly different front end to a standard banking service.

One advantage, though - and the only reason I've stayed with C&K to be honest - is that your main PoC in working hours are some friendly blokes in a UK office rather than a call centre.

Worth it for your current account, but I wouldn't expect any great shakes.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Another advantage with Holts is that they will supply a cheque book for Service Personnel - which many other banks won't. Essential if you are to deploy on Ops or overseas exercises.

Slightly OT, but when will the MoD get over their fixation with chequebooks and catch up with a Chip & PIN system of issuing cash when deployed?

Another advantage with Holts is that they will supply a cheque book for Service Personnel - which many other banks won't. Essential if you are to deploy on Ops or overseas exercises.
I'm always hearing this.

I know of at least 2 of the major high street banks that issue Cheque Books no problems.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm always hearing this.

I know of at least 2 of the major high street banks that issue Cheque Books no problems.
Even to soldiers that have had... issues... in the past? We assisted them to open a Holts account, set up a bank allotment and Holts provided a chequebook.

Cheers for the feedback guys, what I needed. Does a large portion of the army bank with Holts then or is who you bank with really not a big deal; military specific or not

The Post Office used to be the favoured bank in that you could show your Pass Book at a BFPO and get cash. I've a suspicion that may have stopped within the last 5 years or so.

A large proportion of REME do. Comes with the proximity of the REME training group and Holts wo are in Farnborough. I have been with them for 21 years and had no problems but tbh wouldn't have had any if I had been with any of the other major high street banks.

They are helpful on the phone, my only gripe being lack of RBS cash machines if I wanted to pay something in. Nearest one to my home is 15 miles away.

As to cheque books, natwest gives me one - whats the biggy? As to these other banking chaps, used to bank with Cox and Kings. Their best seeling point to a hard up JO, was that they would never bounce a mess bill.

I would have thought Couts would have been preferable?
There is a heating company called Couts and a Christian academy. Why anyone would bank with them is beyond me.
However, if you are referring to grandma's bank of Coutts, then one either needs to have millions or owe them millions to allow one to bank with them. However, since they were bought out by RBS when they acquired Natwest then its not really the place to go nowadays.

There is a heating company called Couts and a Christian academy. Why anyone would bank with them is beyond me.
However, if you are referring to grandma's bank of Coutts, then one either needs to have millions or owe them millions to allow one to bank with them. However, since they were bought out by RBS when they acquired Natwest then its not really the place to go nowadays.
Actually your probably be just as well banking with coots.

Attachments

Frankly, if you are dealing with anything RBS related. I would give them a wide steer.
Getting divorced, They closed the joint account down, I opened one with another branch, " RBS" Despite the fact that they had told me "I had one point of contact" ref the joint accounrt with the bank.
I spoke to him,,"nothing will happen until you get home", I was working on a job in the Red Sea. I get a call from my girlfriend at the time to say they have closed my account, no cashcard, all payments to credit cards have stopped, etc etc. I am in Egypt, and am frankly Stuffed!
It cost me over £400 in phone calls to get this sorted out.
I am speaking, on my mobile to a girl in the branch where I had the acount, she got it sorted, But as they had cancelled my ATM card, I had no access to funds etc. As they had blocked payment to my credit cards. I had no access there either.
This girl was magnificent.
Sorted things out, got payments to credit card etc.
I get back to UK and go to use my new ATM card, it is refused, Go into the bank, and run into the lady who I had been talking to from the Red Sea, the one who sorted it for me.
She runs a check, and says to me, "You will not believe it, but they have done it again."
She phones the guy who has done this and asked a question.
"Does Mr Gadge know about this?" and the reply was "Probably"!
Royal Bank of Scotland, do not touch them with a"'king "barge pole!
Gadge

Not probably 100% coherent, But believe me, I got shafted by that bank

Any bank is only as good as the people.

Holts is now just a sub brand of RBS but has the advantage of being staffed by those who are familiar with the particular needs and issues faced by their client base and have amended their procedures to suit.

Unlike general call centre and branch staff at any bank really, who are invariably thrown by anything even slightly off the checklist.

Latest Threads