Holts banking

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Twizlaa, Aug 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First of, I have used the search function and not found a this specific topic covered.

I have just been allocated my start date for phase one training, at ADSC they gave us a letter promoting holts banking (part of RSB). I was curious to others opinions/experiences with this bank and if they are any better than civi banks and worth going with.

Cheers in advance

2. Rather like Cox & Kings they're just a slightly different front end to a standard banking service.

One advantage, though - and the only reason I've stayed with C&K to be honest - is that your main PoC in working hours are some friendly blokes in a UK office rather than a call centre.

Worth it for your current account, but I wouldn't expect any great shakes.

3. Another advantage with Holts is that they will supply a cheque book for Service Personnel - which many other banks won't. Essential if you are to deploy on Ops or overseas exercises.

Slightly OT, but when will the MoD get over their fixation with chequebooks and catch up with a Chip & PIN system of issuing cash when deployed?

4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I would have thought Couts would have been preferable?

5. They give the personal touch too, they even put a cash machine in Mrs Ws gaff.

6. I'm always hearing this.

I know of at least 2 of the major high street banks that issue Cheque Books no problems.

7. Even to soldiers that have had... issues... in the past? We assisted them to open a Holts account, set up a bank allotment and Holts provided a chequebook.

8. Cheers for the feedback guys, what I needed. Does a large portion of the army bank with Holts then or is who you bank with really not a big deal; military specific or not

9. The Post Office used to be the favoured bank in that you could show your Pass Book at a BFPO and get cash. I've a suspicion that may have stopped within the last 5 years or so.

10. A large proportion of REME do. Comes with the proximity of the REME training group and Holts wo are in Farnborough. I have been with them for 21 years and had no problems but tbh wouldn't have had any if I had been with any of the other major high street banks.

They are helpful on the phone, my only gripe being lack of RBS cash machines if I wanted to pay something in. Nearest one to my home is 15 miles away.

11. Ahh yes, this makes more sense now...

12. As to cheque books, natwest gives me one - whats the biggy? As to these other banking chaps, used to bank with Cox and Kings. Their best seeling point to a hard up JO, was that they would never bounce a mess bill.

13. There is a heating company called Couts and a Christian academy. Why anyone would bank with them is beyond me.
    However, if you are referring to grandma's bank of Coutts, then one either needs to have millions or owe them millions to allow one to bank with them. However, since they were bought out by RBS when they acquired Natwest then its not really the place to go nowadays.

14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Actually your probably be just as well banking with coots.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1