Hols4Heroes auction - Ranulph Fiennes: Where Soldiers Fear to Tread

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by rockape34, Nov 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ends 18.00 hours, 13 November

I have a first (1975) hardback edition of Ranulph Fiennes' "Where Soldiers Fear To Tread" - condition good - this is not an easy book to find and has a reserve price of £20.

Ranulph Fiennes served in Oman from 1968 to 1970 as a "contact" officer on loan with others from the British Army to aid the Sultan in his skirmishes with the Marxist-indoctrinated guerrillas (the PFLOAG) in Dhofar, treacherous territory on the border of the People's Democratic Republic of South Yemen. Conditions were arid, unpredictable and dangerous. When he returned in 1973 to make a television documentary, the Sultan had been unseated in favour of his son, and Oman had been transformed by hugely increased oil revenue into a 20th-century state. In this book Fiennes tells the story of that return, describing the country he knew and the changes it had undergone.
    [​IMG]

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I will go twenty of those crisp Scottish Pound Notes (we still have £1 notes up here :)) for this book

A-Y

3. Thanks for your prompt, and generous, bid Auld-Yin

(might seem a bit garrulous, but have to get the minimum number of characters)

4. 25 South of the Border phaaands

5. £30.

Chew me.

6. Thanks for the bids chaps and chapesses, all bids gratefully received.

a_j is it (Welsh) gin 'n tonic weather round your way this time of year (the ladies did enjoy it last time I believe ^~ )

7. Still with The_Snail - many thanks .

Any more bids?

8. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

Sir Ranulph Fiennes served in Oman from 1968 to 1970 as a "contact" officer on loan with others from the British Army to aid the Sultan in his skirmishes with the Marxist-indoctrinated guerrillas (the PFLOAG) in Dhofar, treacherous territory on the border of the People's Democratic Republic of South Yemen. Conditions were arid, unpredictable and dangerous. When he returned in 1973 to make a television documentary, the Sultan had been unseated in favour of his son, and Oman had been transformed by hugely increased oil revenue into a 20th-century state. In this book Fiennes tells the story of that return, describing the country he knew and the changes it had undergone.

Don't forget, this will end on Satuday and right now it's with Sluggy at £30. :)

9. .........35

10. ..................£40

I've got an overdraft and a credit card and not afraid to use them.

11. Better buy a Churchill stair lift then

12. YesItsMe

Thank you for another bid, Princess. I hope your bank will still like you. :hug:

And a reminder for everyone, that this will end tonight 1800. :)

13. In homage to Douglas Adams, I submit my bid of 42.

Guineas.

All the best,

John.

14. YesItsMe

Thank you for your bid, John_D. :)

15. YesItsMe

[​IMG]

Congratulation, John_D !!

For £42 the book is yours.
    [​IMG]

Thank you for supporting Hols4Heroes.

Same to everyone else who bid as well.
    (And a BIG thanks to rockape34, who donated the item. [​IMG] )

Please transfer the money to one of the following accounts:

Paypal: info@holidays4heroes.org

Bank: Holidays4heroes
    HSBC
    Sort: 40-12-09
    Acct: 41416081

IBAN: GB29MIDL40120941416081
    Swift: MIDLGB2120G

If you send using PayPal:
    For payment type, click personal, then GIFT, there will be no charges levied on Hols4Heroes this way !!!

And afterwards please PM rockape34 the address you want to have the book sent to.