Hols for Heroes - The Battle of Waterloo - ends 4/10/10

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Sep 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Thanks to Auld-Yin and the Arrse Book Club I have for auction a hardback copy of 'The Battle of Waterloo' by Jeremy Black. It is signed by the author, with the dedication ' Army Rumour Service'.

The auction will end at 1800 on 4th October, UK Time. Postage is included in the price. As usual all proceeds to Holidays for Heroes.

2. £10.00.....................

3. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thank you, ticklish. A good start to the bidding.

4. The battle of Waterloo ends 4/10/10 :scratch: ^~

... £15

5. Grownup_Rafbrat

That's the time in the afternoon that they stopped for tea and medals, cheeky!

Thanks for your bid.

6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Any advance on £15?

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

This is a very good wee hardback book about Waterloo. Although it obviously spends some time on the battle, the main purpose is to discuss the politics and reasons why decisions were taken. The author has a bit of a downer on Napoleon though and does not miss any opportunity to blame him.

However, the book gives a great background to the overall situation leading up to and beyond the Battle itself. The author, who is a Professor at the University of Exeter, also said that if people wish to discuss the book with him he is more than happy to do so - by letter. He will noit answer emails!! A bit excentric but he is very open to discussion.

Worth a bung on this auction. Have a look at Sixty's excellent review, if you have not done so already.

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thanks, A-Y. When I get a mo I'll put in a linky to the review. I've been meaning to do that all week, but this WORK thing does get in the way. Dad was right, it is the curse of the drinking (and auctioning) classes!

9. Here you go GRB:
    Review - The Battle of Waterloo : A New History

10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thanks, matey. You're an angel.

Anyone want to bid now this info is available?

11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Still at £15 with rockape34. Any advance?

12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Any more bids, please?

13. £20 - (okay - apprently replies have to be at least ten characters. and I'm not adding ten noughts!)

14. £21.........................................

15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thank you, bidders. Any more? This auction ends tomorrow. Maybe I should end it at 1815?