Hols for Heroes - family history research - ends 4th October 2010

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Sep 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

This is a rather unusual and wonderful auction item, from a very kind arrser. It will end on Monday 4th October at 1900 hours UK time.

RESEARCHER FOR RENT

Ever wanted to trace grand-dad’s WW1 military service but don’t know where to start, don’t have the time, or don’t understand the records you’ve found? Well, now you can get 10 hours research in the National Archives at Kew by someone who understands WW1 Army records, copies of all the relevant original records, and a write-up of the results – all you have to do is win the bidding.

Points to note –

Even if I find nothing or very little, you still pay – I’m auctioning my time and knowledge, and it takes as long to find nothing as it does to find something.

I need somewhere to start – looking for ‘a John Smith who was a gunner or maybe it was the infantry’ is not going to be very productive for either of us. For ORs I need as a minimum name, regiment and, unless it is a very unusual name, number; for officers name and regiment.

If you win the bidding and it turns out you don’t have enough information to allow me to conduct sensible research, then I reserve the right to offer myself to the next highest bidder.

You get the results within 30 days of bids closing.

I’ve couched this in terms of WW1 soldiers but I’m actually happy to research anything at Kew if it raises cash for Hols for Heroes. However, the further we move from WW1 soldiers the less I know – asking me to research a WW1 RNVR officer is one thing, asking me to compile medical statistics for inbreeding in C18th rural Norfolk is probably not a good idea.

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

I shall start the bidding on this one myself, at £25.

3. This may be a silly question, but can you research general familly history, geaneology type stuff there?

4. You can - it is NOT my field of expertise (except as an adjunct to researching military and other individuals) but if you want to PM me with more details I'll let you know whether it's worth you bidding for me.

C_C (who is apparently 'a rather unusual and wonderful auction item')

5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Life is full of new experiences, C_C!

:)

6. PM sent....

7. I'll bid £50 for that if WWII is also available for research

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

I think so long as the records are at Kew, you'll be in, mac. Good bid, and thank you.

9. Mac,

in general, records for individuals who served after 1920-ish are not/not available at Kew - they're coming, but there are lots of worries about the DPA implications.

C_C

10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Mac, would you confirm whether your bid stands, in those circumstances?

Thanks

11. The bid still stands, I can just be hopeful that the info I'm looking for is available

12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Lovely, so that's at £50 with mac. Any more bids, please?

13. Grownup_Rafbrat

Any advance on £50?

14. Yes! 55 quid.

15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thank you stacker1. It's still a bargain at that price.

Any more bids for this unique lot?