Hollywood's inaccurate film shocker!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Plant-Pilot, Apr 9, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,116615,00.html

Looks like both the Septics and the Mexicans aren't happy with the new Hollywood film of the 'The Alamo'.

Now I don't want to be the bringer of old news.... but most of the 'Historically Accurate' films of recent years have been a load of bo11ocks, depicting the septics as having won every war in history on their own nad having saved the world several times over. Anyone else in their films have been pushed to one side and given a 'bit part'.

Now they've done the same thing to their own history they say something about it. Wake up and smell the coffee, as our colonial cousins say, Hollywood CAN'T do Historically Accurate!

2. A Monty Python response or what ? ... "a more layered film" .... Sheesh'

According to Hollywood the US won WW2 single handed, no one other than `a band of brothers' landed either by large hanky or small boat on the Normandy beach head, only US forces fought in the Pacific and well the bombing campaign over Germany was only conducted by Flying Fortresses crewed by people who went home after 25 missions wearing really nice leather jackets (apart from those who new Yossarian).

Not to belittle the US efforts and their sacrifices but my old man flew with the RAF from '39 'til 45 and totalled a few more than 25 missions!

As my ever enlarging prostate keeps me up later and later these days I've had the opportunity to watch all manner of black and white Brit movies from the 40s and early 50s and love the understatement of British cinema.

Sir John Mills always has a stiff upper lip, be he a fighter pilot or the captain of a doomed submarine whilst poor Richard Attenborough sweats nervously and panics at the first depth charge.

How different the portrayals are, and I for one can't stand the `Pearl Harbour' view of the world - I'm not looking forward to the first `Battle of Iraq' movie ....

There won’t be a Union Jack on display not even in the corner of a bluish flag with white stars fluttering in Iraq’s western desert.

3. If you visit the Alamo you'll note the flags - apparently for the nations of origin of the heroic participants. Prominent among them is the Irish tricolour - Davey Crocket & Co were Irish see! Trouble is, they were all Scots-Irish Protestants - no sign of any Ulster flags though. Classic example of re-writing history to match the mythology plus, of course, a good dollop of "institutionalised racism": in the USA "Irish" = Catholic/ nationalist/ Republican hero fighting the evils of Brit imperialism ("Freedom!" etc - not for you, of course, if you happened to be black, "Indian" or, for that matter, Mexican!) whilst "Protestant/ Unionist" = lackey of aforementioned British imperialists and murderers/ savages to boot.

Mr Adams and Co. claim to want a democratic republic that is inclusive of/ respectful towards "all traditions in Ireland" - pity that they've yet to do faff all to put the Americans right on a few points. A relatively trivial example, I know, but illustrative of a much more profound problem.

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Not fair, Pearl Harbour featured Brits fighting BEFORE 7th Dec 1941 which will have been a wake up call to many in the US I guess. Saving Private Ryan mentioned the brits (admittedly slagging off Monty), Band Of Brothers had them training in the UK, Since two of these (Omaha Beach and Pearl Harbour were solely US affairs I think it was very nice of Speilberg & ??? to mention us at all).

Its difficult to imagine what you'd like Hollywood to have done? Perhaps the Close Air Support taking out the tigers at the end of SPR wasn't American? I don't recall if they were Mustangs or Typhoons.

Yes, but then he was fighting for his country, the AAC came for the knickers. Not to belittle his efforts in anyway and I am profoundly grateful to him and his colleagues for their sacrifices and bravery. I'm also pretty grateful to the 50,000 odd yanks that died in their bombing missions.

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

If you want to bash the yanks for their movie making, choose decent examples like The Patriot, U571, Braveheart or ???

6. [quote="Mr Happy"][/quote]
    Not fair, Pearl Harbour featured Brits fighting BEFORE 7th Dec 1941 which will have been a wake up call to many in the US I guess. Saving Private Ryan mentioned the brits (admittedly slagging off Monty), Band Of Brothers had them training in the UK, Since two of these (Omaha Beach and Pearl Harbour were solely US affairs I think it was very nice of Speilberg & ??? to mention us at all).

They're all very, very, nice people...lick, lick.

Yes, but then he was fighting for his country, the AAC came for the knickers. Not to belittle his efforts in anyway and I am profoundly grateful to him and his colleagues for their sacrifices and bravery. I'm also pretty grateful to the 50,000 odd yanks that died in their bombing missions.[/quote]

Kind of you......

8. Well said 'Pteranadon'....but I suppose we should pity those who need to steal others glory.