Hollywood: Best and Worse

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Chief_Joseph, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For better or worse, American cinema and television has a huge influence on entertainment. This thread is to list what you believe to be Hollywood's triumphs and failures.

For me

Best:
    -Pulp Fiction
    -The Godfather
    -Band of Brothers
    -Evil Dead Trilogy

Worst:
    -The Green Berets
    -The Patriot
    -Appocalypse Now
    -AI (But I forgive ya Spielberg)

2. Ace
    - Man on fire
    - Manchurian candidate
    - Bullit

Worst
    - behind enemy lines
    - Anaconda
    - Sphere
    - Predator Vs aliens (flogging a dead nag)
    - Blade 3
    - Mission impossible three

3. Excellent:

Pulp Fiction

The Hunger

The rest is rubbish.

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Best:
    Heat + LA Takedown (Michael Mann at his best, plus Pacino in Heat is amazing)

Worst:
    Anything with Ben Affleck in it, with the exception of Dogma - that was fcuking funny.

5. Chief Joseph I have to disagree with regards the Green Berets, this is a classic film!

6. Getting down to 10 is going to be tough. I'll stick with films that have a military theme - even if they aren't from Hollywood.
    Best - in no particular order
    1. Apocalypse Now
    2. Black Hawk Down
    3. Dog Soldiers
    4. Ice Cold in Alex
    5. Platoon
    6. The Deer Hunter
    7. M.A.S.H.
    8. All Quiet of the Western Front
    9. The Guns of Navarone
    10. Full Metal Jacket (first half only)
    Worst
    1. The Green Berets
    2. Who Dares Wins
    3. To Hell and Back

Oh Hell, I can't be bothered to write about bad films. :salut:
    Why am I saluting left-handed?

7. I'm sorry but most of your list is comprised of unrealistic crap (or was this the ten worst?)

Ice Cold in Alex and Blackhawk Down are the only two decent war films on your list (Dog Soldiers is okay, but it's not a war film)

8. I thought dog soldiers was Brit Produced anyway.

9. As an unashamed John Wayne fan I can tell you that the Green Berets was made at the request of Pres Johnson to lift the image of the Vietnam war at the time. All the uniforms, pyros and hardware were provided free of charge by the DoD.

10. Really? I wouldn't be surprised if Hardware and pyros were, but from what I've read, tiger stripe uniforms weren't actually ever made by the DoD, they were locally purchased by Green Berets from Vietnamese, Thai, Cambodian, or Japanese tailors when on leave in Saigon or elsewhere in the region. It came in various colors and patterns.

11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Although the picture the "Green Berets" had many faults and errors, it did portray the "A" team camp(s) and their missions, as well as the use of "Mike Force units, pretty well. (They could have done better, spending more time on thes camps, as well as SF operations with the montanyards.)

The battle at the "A" Team camp was based on a real action, where the "A" Team Camp Commander CPT Donlon (Now COL. Donlon) was awarded the MOH for that action. The scenes shown during that action were based on real happenings during that battle at the A team camp.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/profiles/profiles_donlon.html

They did not cover SOG operations, conducted by Special Forces units, perhaps because at the time, they were classified and super secret, as well as perhaps considered illegal, if conducted in Laos and Cambodia and other places in S.E.A. BTW: Most SOG units used tigar stripe and other non-issue military uniforms (Even the "Black Pajamas," of the VC type to aid deny-ability issues.

The "Direct Action" mission portrayed in the flick, (To capture the NVA General) was pure fiction; however, such a mission is well within the capabilities of a Special Forces unit.

Here is some further info on Tigar Stripes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigerstripe

I also, would like to see some prove that President Johnson asked for this movie. I really doubt that he did. Although it did support why we were there at a needed time for that Adminstration.

12. Take that back right now. fantastic film.

Best; Bond (except Die another day), Knights tale (was that british?), Italian job, great escape, Black hawk down, Forrest Gump.

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Of you could just look at the threads at the top of this forum's first page...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.