Holland Reverses Smoking ban.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ALVIN, Dec 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Netherlands has become the first European country to see sense and overturn an unpopular smoking ban imposed on the nation’s bars and cafés two years ago.

The authorities are to amend legislation to allow smokers to light up again in small owner-operated bars, called pubs by the Dutch, which are less than 753.5 sq ft in size and which have no other staff.

Bowing to resistance and claims that the ban was driving small Dutch pubs out of business, an incoming coalition government has also cancelled 280 fines levied during a campaign of civil disobedience by smokers and bar-owners.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -pubs.html

Do you think the United Kingdom should do the same ?

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

while I've never smoked and hated going home stinking or fags I did think the ban was a bit daft, I just stopped going to pubs unless invited to a quiz or it was a non smokey one. I dont know anyone who truly objected.

3. Not if its leads to good news like this

4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

An outbreak of reality? In Europe? OMG, whatever next?

It is of course possible that Holland has now realised the impact on tax revenues ... ;-)

5. Does any know how the dope shops managed with the ban?

6. They just made it into more cake, or called it Herbal and got round it that way.

7. How many boarded up pubs are there in your town?
    The smoking ban is one of the biggest causes.

Its no odds to me as I don't drink and therefor don't frequent pubs but the smoking ban is a disaster for the pub trade.

8. Technically people smoke dope and not tobacco in coffee shops, so the ban as such didn't affect them. You could still smoke washing powder in a pub if you wish to do so. The plan to amend the smoking ban is just legalising what is common practise since smoking was banned in pubs and café's. The only thing that changes is that small pubs can't be fined anymore.

9. I am a smoker and I kinda like the ban. It is much easier to get chatting to people with the ban in place. The two groups of people that (IMO) tend to dislike the ban most are landlords (loss of custom) and none-smokers (getting deserted by smoking friends). It would have made more sense to issue licensed premises smoking licenses, at about a fifty percent ratio. ie, about half of pubs would allow smoking. Hey-Ho, anti-smokers got their way, I don't care much.

10. Every single one now, within reasonable walking distance of my house.

The thing is it'll be blamed on the reccesion, no one will take responsibility just blame it on another variable.

Same with global warming, if it gets cooler just call it climate change, that way you never have to prove anything.

11. The Dutch ban had the anomaly that you could smoke marijuana in coffee bars but not tobacco. If you stepped outside to smoke marijuana, you could be arrested but you could smoke tobacco outside.

12. Exactly. Luckily there is a massive difference here between making laws and actually enforcing them.

13. Want to bet on that bit?

14. Yeh, shall we start a thread on it......? :)

15. Bet on what exactly?

Are you going to prove Anthropogenic global warming?

Crack on, if you can I wouldn't mind paying higher energy bills.

But that's been done to death on other threads, it's not really anything to do with this one.