Holidays4heroes (September scrounge)

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Hols4Heroes, Sep 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hols4Heroes

Hols4Heroes War Hero Good Egg (charities)

Not holidays, 2 quick welfare cases, one due to me being an impatient softy that refuses to wait for the system and another fella fallen on quite harsh hard times.

1. WW2 veteran, living alone, very limited income and struggling to pay his bills. Have creditted his gas & electric to ensure he has no arrears, but his heating system is that antiquated, pants, dangerous and unfit for purpose it needs immediate attention prior to the cold spell.

I've blagged, scrounged, begged and pinched radiators, had a boiler donated and bought the remaining equipment. A plumber started this morning and is doing the full job for £300 instead of £600.

2. 50 yrs of age, single, lives in a local authority property. Ex Irish Guards, UDR, MOD Police and worked also as a civvy driver for the RCT in Lisburn. Worked right up until May this year, when an Umbilical Hernia caused him to go on sick. Since then he has been waiting for an operation....has been put back twice. He was serving his commitments ok whilst working (HGV Class 1 long distance) he is in a debt situation. I am trying to sort his priority debts, whilst the CAB deal with the other things at their own pace. His only source of income is SSP at £79.18 pw, and although he gets partial Housing & Council Tax benefit, he's still struggling to make ends meet. He cannot really afford to put much on his mob phone, and virgin media have disconnected his landline. He rarely buys food in as and when he has money on a daily basis.
    I am trying to get something sorted for him asap, but have only just visited him for the first time today.
    I need to see what CAB are going to do, as they have had this since July!

I sent £100 today, and will subsidise his income by £50 per week until mid october when he's had his op, then we'll get him to Spain for some RnR then he can return to work.

We'll also fund his insolvency should it be required and if RBL can't.

Bottom line, we need £700 -£800 ish

Giz a lift?

HSBC: Holidays4heroes
    Sort: 40-12-09
    Acct: 41416081
  2. Just send in € 250,- collected for the Arnhem jump. I'll scan the sponsorform and send it later to you.
  3. I'm rounding up the cash from the Great North Run now mate and should have it all your way soon.
  4. sent what I could, sadly not much at the moment.
  5. Great North Swim cash sent this morning, landing soon with the sponsor from not far behind it. My best wishes to the guys concerned.
  6. Just IBAN'd a little something from my johnny foreigner account so it'll be an odd amount, will be processed tomorrow.
  7. Small change incoming via Paypal.
    A bit short this month until pay day.
  8. Cow

Cow LE

Few more quid incoming.

9. Just making sure that this stays on page 1. :arrow:
  10. Funds on way :D
  11. [marq=down]Small bump[/marq]
  12. Will see what I can do Friday, sorry it can't be sooner
  13. Incoming Saturday from both of us :D
  14. Longlenny

Longlenny War Hero Book Reviewer

Go on then, pension incoming, I don't need to eat anyway.
  15. ££ incoming and.............................bump