Holidays4heroes (Normandy anniversary)

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mighty_doh_nut, Mar 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For the philistines and savages amongst you that aren't aware, this year see the 65th anniversary of the Normandy landings.

Google it if you want to see how that affected how we live today.

This is probably, sadly one for the last times a larger service will be attended by the now ageing veterans...... There is little funding for them.

I want to do something, even if it is lay on one coach, or rally amongst us to sort out a few PRI minibus etc.

I need a volunteer to co-ordinate and liase with the Normandy veterans committee to assess their needs,

In the meantime, by noon today I will have a separate account set up for a collection, specifically for this cause.

These chaps, more than deserve to attand these service's, we owe many of them 'our today' many who didn't come home gave 'their tomorrow' in order that we live here today......Lets help them pay their respects to their muckers.
  2. MDN,

Up for the co-ord bit if it helps. Sadly I don't have any coach firm contacts.
    PM me if you deem me appropriate. Won't be offended if someone else, with contacts, comes forward.

We can help the veterans even if the government won't/can't!
  3. I'm trying to fiddle on MDN's behalf after our discussion this morning about this (who knew you could get internet connection in court!).
    So far I've only been able to unearth an email addy for Peter Hodges who's the Honorary General Secretary of the Normandy Veterans Assosiation, and a lovely email has been sent to him. But I'd really appreciate if any of you have a contact number for someone in the NVA who can advise us.

Ping me a PM if you've got a contact number I could use.
  4. Good man, one of my best days was in the company of a tank gunner, who landed on D-Day and fought across Europe, which ended even though on a sad note, finding the graves of his 3 mates near Nijmegen, the first time he had seen them since 1944.

Id like to offer my help on this one, im in Hospital tomorrow so will be off for a while, so can do some co-ordinating whilst either massaging a stump or having leg in a cast. :)
  5. MDN,

Check your emails.

6. I've found out that each local branch organises it's own affairs and visits to Normandy, via the NVA. Cumbria Branch (76 Carlisle) seem to be the big daddies, as in being very active, so I've left a delightful message for them to call me back.

If any of you folks out there have the contact names and numbers for other branches could you please let me know, cheers folks!
  7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

A friend of mine is involved with the Somme Center over here in NI as well as other Mil History orgs,I'll be seeing him Mon so I'll see what he has.
  8. MDN
    I've contacted 2 local coach companies regarding transport - I don't think I'll get a firm reply until next month or so, but here's hoping....

However, if you want I'll try and scrounge a helibedford or two from Altcar Range :)....

Keep the faith!
  9. Flowers has spoken to some NVA grown ups and the Normandy anniversary is sorted, mainly thanks to a series of radio plea's this last couple of weeks.

They did say there are other services at different venues that aren't so widely publicised that veterans struggle to get too.

I'll be meeting up with him at the back end of next week so will keep you posted, but as yet there is no need for us to act on anything.
  10. MDN
    Can I send Endex to all stations, then??

I'll take that as a yes.....

CQ de 0A PUFFO I say again PUFFO, over
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Just in case any of you are unsure of the calibre of men we are talking about take a read through this., we owe them everything.
  12. Never doubted the how nails all of them were....

I was invited to Wigan Social Club t'other day to give a presentation on behalf of H4H.

Speaking to a number of them before the session their stories they told were amazing, even the ones who did Korea and Suez.

There were quite a lot of ex-crabs (noticeable by their moustaches, no seriously) and they were a laugh and a half.

One of the paintings there really made an impact on was of a Spit, but in the clouds beyond the Spit was the faint outline of Sopwith Camel. The title of the picture....."In good hands".

I think that painting title should be given to this appeal, because without their sacrifice we would be speaking Kraut now, and it would be nice to think that they are now "in good hands"
  13. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I understand the Lottery is stepping in to make this happen - caught the tail end on the news, no link yet.

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Outstanding. Wasn't aimed at you dave, just a general 'these are the guys we owe' post, as well as a riveting read.....
  15. No probs O_S, I just wanted to highlight how brave these guys were.

I had to laugh at one point...the Chairman said "an author wants contact with anyone who had anything to do with Spitfires". Total he asked again, "aircrew, cleaners, anything" reply again.

There were ladies (sorry, a couple of WRAF) in the audience but the Chairman then said "FFS, lads, some of you must have had something to do with Spitfires!!!"

Came this very small voice in a very quiet whisper from the back of the room:

"I crashed one once"

The place just fell apart - it was bloody hilarious