• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Holidays to semi dodgy countries

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but thought it looked most likely.

Was wondering who I will need to ask permission from (chain of command wise before anyone says my mum!) in order to go to Eygpt, as I have heard there are restrictions on service personnel going.

Cheers in advance

We used to pop over to Egypt from Cyprus just on a mere whim (well a boaty/ferry thing actually) and I don't remember anyone asking permission. Of course it could have changed since then as this was a couple of years ago.

Not sure, mate of mine in R Sigs went off for several weeks in Iran not so long ago and had no dramas from anyone really. Think if they're at all concerned you may get a security briefing before hand and a debriefing afterwards, not sure if there's any blocks on more temperamental places though.

intli

War Hero
voice said:

Was wondering who I will need to ask permission from (chain of command wise before anyone says my mum!) in order to go to Eygpt, as I have heard there are restrictions on service personnel going.

Cheers in advance
There are no security restrictions on service personnel going on holiday to Egypt. However, you do need to check with the Foreign Office or through your USO on the current terrorist/security threat against UK/European nationals wherever you are intending to go to be on the safe side. :wink:

TA_sig said:
Not sure, mate of mine in R Sigs went off for several weeks in Iran not so long ago and had no dramas from anyone really. Think if they're at all concerned you may get a security briefing before hand and a debriefing afterwards, not sure if there's any blocks on more temperamental places though.
if your friend went to iran, he should have been properly briefed and debriefed.

voice - contact your local military intelligence section for the latest advice, through your unit security officer.

voice said:

Cheers in advance
give egypt a miss at present because i believe that the armed forces are running these great holidays to iraq & afghanistan at the minute that are a real laugh a minute. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Edited to remove crap advice!

Edited to add: your chief clerk should have a list of restricted travel areas. or the intranet, or even armynet. Somewhere, once, I've seen such a document.

Sorry for posting in the middle of convo, but this might help...

I asked a similar question and there is a system in place called CSSRA - Travel to countries to which special security regulations apply

Here's the thread:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=40007.html

The countries on the CSSRA list are not "off limits" but neither are they on limits. Dependant upon who you are, your post, vetting status and reason to visit determines approval to travel by the appropriate security staff. Without digging out all the references the process is:

Fill in LANDSO/JSP CSSRA paperwork.
Dependant upon position/vetting status/ intended country receive a Defensive Brief from Sy Offr/ Local MI Sect.
Approval granted/ denied.
Holiday/sight see/ buy sell drugs etc
Receive debrief from Sy Offr/ Local MI Sect
Hope this helps. You should be able to get some more info from the above thread.

Best of luck

Crayonic

cdn_spr said:
I think there's only a list of places where travel is 'forbidden', and they're mostly operational theatres. Iraq obviously, as with afghanistan, bosnia etc etc. however, afghan and iraq apart, I don't think you'll have any bother unless you get seriously injured or killed, in which case your last worry will be some uppity RMP CI type, or whoever decides this stuff.

Edited to add: your chief clerk should have a list of restricted travel areas. or the intranet, or even armynet. Somewhere, once, I've seen such a document.
if you have not got a clue what you are talking about, please refrain from offering well-meaning (and rubbish) advice.

voice - please ignore "helpful" advice like the above. contact your local military intelligence section, through your unit security officer.