Holidays in Finland ?

In a moment of madness I've just booked our family holiday in Finland , fly to Helsinki in August for 10 days.
have you been ? what do you recommend ?
Two adults with two teenage brats in tow , the plan is to hire a car and go Airbnb`ing , outdoor activities are the main interest but I have to keep the brats interested.

You fücking idiot.

The food is crap. The booze is outrageously expensive. The women are the ugliest for 1,000 miles. The local men will want to shag your kids (doesn't matter if sprogs are male: they'll still be nicer than the local women). The police are cünts who dish out massive speeding fines for the smallest infraction. The midges and mosquitoes make Scotland seem devoid of insect life in comparison. There's nothing but lakes and bogs: both home to billions of biting insects.

What do I recommend? Catch the ferry to St Petersburg or Denmark.

Worked with two Finnish gals, both very prim and proper......great singers nice to the eye and unable to hold their whisky, they didn't believe in bras for some reason....
bears foxes lynxes and of course as dread says midges n mosses....

I may mysteriously find myself driving past the Tikka rifle factory ...oh look I`d forgot the Tikka factory is in Finland, I`ll just have a very quick look around...

Last edited:
.....outdoor activities are the main interest but I have to keep the brats interested.
The bit about the midges and flying biters is one of the main reasons why your missus will rip your head off half way through your holiday or your kids will murder you in your sleep. They'll be driven mad by the constant swarms and it will be YOUR fault not Mother Nature's.... If your outdoor activities involve anything like white water rafting, or kayaking or anything water based then expect to either have every exposed bit of flesh bitten raw or have to wear face netting and be smearing yourself with several gallons of repellent each day. Kinda puts a dampener on 'holiday fun with the family' when you have grumpy teenagers with red, swollen, acne-like skin from the insects. Stay in the saunas and you'll be fine

I have been to the Military Museum of Finland in Helsinki and the Infantry Museum in Mikkeli. Both are worth a look. The infantry museum has an interesting section on Finnish soldiers serving with the SS.

I reckon this is one for @finnisharrse to respond to and wax lyrical over the beneficial effects of mosquito scabs and naked saunas while whipping yourself with birch twigs

According to Monty Python there 'The Institute of Going a Bit Red in Helsinki'. I had a day in Helsinki on a cruise last year - it was OK. I bought SWMBO a small wooden moose.

Finland is rather big. Driving around for a week or so won't get you very far away from Helsinki, scenically speaking. You could use overnight coaches, trains or 'planes to change location. For example, Rovaniemi and the Arctic Circle. I was slightly surprised to find that flying from Schiphol to Helsinki took the same amount of time as flying from Helsinki to Rovaniemi, though it did get a nice solo stay in an off-the-grid hut on a lake-shore.

If you are staying down South, near Helsinki, then a couple of days with a ferry to St.Petersburg could include a few additional, and interesting, museums - although it has the side-effect of supporting Putin indirectly.

Pony trekking or camping, or just watching TV.

I spent new year in Levi with the boy and wife two years ago.

Fantastic, snow mobiles, huskies, log cabins, skiing and New year's eve fireworks on the slopes, Ice Castle...we all loved it.

The alcohol is expensive the food is nothing to shout about, the Reindeer pizza was nice. The ladies were beautiful. and sweet for the children.

Its a beautiful place.

That said..............it's a long way from Helsinki and too early for snow. However there are plenty of other activities. Especially if you are able or willing to travel....ohh and like midges so I hear.

Back there in Dec with friends.

Last edited:
There's an island in the bay off Helsinki called Suomolinnen (or somethng very similar) which is a museum to their coastal defences - like Fort Nelson after a very high tide.

But I never liked Helsinki, as noted Finland is OK if you like mossies, trees, rocks, swamp, shit food and horrible beer. Good luck!

There's an island in the bay off Helsinki called Suomolinnen (or somethng very similar) which is a museum to their coastal defences - like Fort Nelson after a very high tide.
and it sucks, big time. It's just a big empty castle with a few pictures on the wall and mannequins in costume. As in line with a few other museums I have been to there, they don't really know how grab your interest. The decent display was the Museum of Valor and Honour, in Oulu, but they took that down about 17 years ago.

At the moment, the summer is really unpredictable - we've gone from cool 10 degrees and rain to over 20 and hard sunshine.

If the mossies bother you, buy a couple of tins (or ten) of this stuff called "OFF". It really does work. But watch out for the horse/moose flies: They look light huge house flies but will actually bite chunks out of you. Then the bite usually gets infected and goes all manky. But panic ye not, they're easy to spot, I've only had three bites in 20 years.

and it sucks, big time. It's just a big empty castle with a few pictures on the wall and mannequins in costume. As in line with a few other museums I have been to there, they don't really know how grab your interest. The decent display was the Museum of Valor and Honour, in Oulu, but they took that down about 17 years ago.

At the moment, the summer is really unpredictable - we've gone from cool 10 degrees and rain to over 20 and hard sunshine.

If the mossies bother you, buy a couple of tins (or ten) of this stuff called "OFF". It really does work. But watch out for the horse/moose flies: They look light huge house flies but will actually bite chunks out of you. Then the bite usually gets infected and goes all manky. But panic ye not, they're easy to spot, I've only had three bites in 20 years.
So all in all you love the place.

Latest Threads