Holidays for Heroes?

#1
MOD Move or delete as required.Thank you.

I was talking to the wife this afternoon.And we were discussing yesterday at Twickers.Whilst £1.1 million is a fantastic sum of money,we wondered what else we could do.
So we thought of "Holidays for Heroes"
I know that Spanish Dave does a brilliant job,but could we do something in the UK? Perhaps the owners of small hotels,B+B's,holiday flats etc. could open their doors to provide free acommodation for those injured and their families?
I am very willing to write to anyone I think will help,but before I get too busy,do the Arrse team think this is a goer? If we get the likes of the British Tourist Board to contact thier members,and perhaps a sponsor?
Please let me have your thoughts.
Thank you.
 
#5
I know you'll probably not get much in the 'joy' stakes from the larger holiday places, but it may be worth asking if you can get free use of facilities (if they do fcuk you off at the high port for free holidays)
 
#6
Actually PONTINS have given away 2500 free holidays this year to service personnel.

I know because I recieved one. The offer was via MOD Discount Directory and may still be open.

You receive a 4 night holiday in the Pontins of your choice for up to 4 people.

Top Company.
 
#7
The Pontins "Back in Britain" campaign was quite well advertised. see HERE - The breaks, at seven resorts, are on offer to the Navy, Army and RAF at www.forcesdiscounts-mod.co.uk. - not sure whether the offer has finished though as on the forces discounts site under Pontins is the following
HUGE SAVINGS. Up to 50% off 2007/2008 Pontin's Holidays. Quote (deleted) Pontin's Holidays Tel: 0800 40 60 70 Go to website ( http://www.forcesdiscounts-mod.co.uk./redirect.php?ad_id=688 ).
 

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
#8
RBL also has a deal with Pontins to arrange Holidays for people it's helping in other ways.
 
#9
I did know about the recent Pontins deal but thought it had expired, all I can say is - nice one to Pontins, fantastic of them to do these things!
 
#10
Grownup_Rafbrat said:
RBL also has a deal with Pontins to arrange Holidays for people it's helping in other ways.
Had five spare minutes so here are the details:

Family Breaks at Seven Pontins Holiday Centres subject to availability. Brean Sands, Prestatyn, Southport, Hemsby, Camber Sands, Blackpool, Pakefield.

7 nights full board in a one or two bedroomed apartment with a bathroom, lounge and kitchenette, TV and Tea/Coffee facilities. Food covered by vouchers which cannot be spent on alcohol. Electricity of £5 per week paid for by the Legion.

Applicants should be service or ex-service personnel who meet at least one of these criteria:

From a household with less than £25000 gross income
From a one parent household suffering a bereavement or breakup of the family
From a family with one parent currently serving on overseas operations
From a family with one parent suffering from mental or physical trauma
From a family where one parent is caring for a disabled partner
From a family which has not had a holiday away from home in three years

Contact your local RBL Field Officer for more details.
 
#12
I think it's an outstanding idea, anything that can be done for those who deserve a little bit extra is to be applauded.
 
#14
Can't help thinking with the current slump in property prices it might be an idea to get the funds together for a lodge of some sort in the Lake District and rent it out in proportion to paying guests to cover the costs of non-paying guests.

msr
 
#15
msr said:
Can't help thinking with the current slump in property prices it might be an idea to get the funds together for a lodge of some sort in the Lake District and rent it out in proportion to paying guests to cover the costs of non-paying guests.

msr
Fantastic idea, more long term benefit than relying on a private company. I dare say that a retired service person in the area could be employed as a facilities manager.
 
#16
heard_it_all_before said:
msr said:
Can't help thinking with the current slump in property prices it might be an idea to get the funds together for a lodge of some sort in the Lake District and rent it out in proportion to paying guests to cover the costs of non-paying guests.

msr
Fantastic idea, more long term benefit than relying on a private company. I dare say that a retired service person in the area could be employed as a facilities manager.
And a lot cheaper to get people to...
 
#17
Grownup_Rafbrat said:
Grownup_Rafbrat said:
RBL also has a deal with Pontins to arrange Holidays for people it's helping in other ways.
Had five spare minutes so here are the details:

Family Breaks at Seven Pontins Holiday Centres subject to availability. Brean Sands, Prestatyn, Southport, Hemsby, Camber Sands, Blackpool, Pakefield.

7 nights full board in a one or two bedroomed apartment with a bathroom, lounge and kitchenette, TV and Tea/Coffee facilities. Food covered by vouchers which cannot be spent on alcohol. Electricity of £5 per week paid for by the Legion.

Applicants should be service or ex-service personnel who meet at least one of these criteria:

From a household with less than £25000 gross income
From a one parent household suffering a bereavement or breakup of the family
From a family with one parent currently serving on overseas operations
From a family with one parent suffering from mental or physical trauma
From a family where one parent is caring for a disabled partner
From a family which has not had a holiday away from home in three years

Contact your local RBL Field Officer for more details.
Spookily, at an RBL Updating Session last night, I learned that they also do Adventure Breaks for 'children of' aged 12-16 who meet one of those criteria, to go without their parents.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top