Holidays for Heroes - The Road of Bones - Ends 13th November

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Nov 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

With grateful thanks to Auld-Yin and the Arrse Book Club, I am pleased to offer a hardback copy of 'The Road of Bones' by Fergal Keane. This is a hardback copy, signed by the author with the dedication 'Army Rumour Service, for all the Heroes living and dead'.

There is a review of the book at
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/content/202-review-road-bones-fergal-keane-%96-review-grownup_rafbrat.html

and of A-Y's meeting with the author at
    EIBF 2010 - Fergal Keane : Road of Bones - Blogs - British Army Forum

This book describes some terrible and some wonderful events, and is a worthy addition to anyone's bookshelf. The dedication is particularly apt at this time of year, and the words on the Kohima Memorial will be used often over the next week.

When you go home, tell them of us and say,
    "for your tomorrow we gave our today"

The auction will end at 1800 on 13th November, the price includes postage to the UK or BFPO, and all proceeds go to Holidays for Heroes. There is a reserve of £25 on this item, so do I hear £25 or more?

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Anyone willing to make a start?

3. ... a starter for ten (pounds sterling of course) + £15 for p&p

edited to add: for clarification that makes a bid of £25

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Come on guys. I know we have been swamped a bit by the unexpected Remembrance Auction, but this and Matterhorn are great offers which are well worth a bash.

5. bump ..................

6. 25 quid plus 5 quid postage,

If I have done my sums right that is 30 quid.
    Cheers
    Gadge

7. This auction is a disgrace, this is a fabulous 'must have 'book and in four days we have only got up to the recommended retail price, not good.

Well I say 40 pounds, I can then give my other one away as a Christmas present.

It is one of the best reads around, with much neglected heroism brought back into the light; Capt. Young, seconded from A&SH to the Assam Regt. being one.

Hats off to Fergal Keane for some fine work.

8. Auld-Yin

A-J thanks for your bid and comments. You have to bear in mind that there is another auction which we did not expect to take place which has diverted some interest away from this auction. It has been argued that the other auction is not diverting people away but obviously it has done.

However, this auction will last a few days longer so perhaps will pick up later in the week.

The book is fantastic and a wonderful rendition of such an important battle, so often forgotten or side-lined by European and Pacific events.

Fergal Keane is a supporter of Arrse as well and was impressed by the review that GRB gave the book.

9. Auld-Yin I can see that the auction side seems to be a little unfocused and dispersed, it's more like a boot sale at the moment. I hope it tightens up, who is in charge of this?

This book is an essential, not to own it is an act of appeasement and historical denial worthy of Lord Halifax.

10. Well I say 40 pounds, I can then give my other one away as a Christmas present.

If that is the case and I send you my address, can I have it for Xmas!!!!! OK OK, well a man has to ask!! ;)

£45.00 quid then.

Cheers
    Gadge

11. The current top bid for this is £45 with Gadgwah

TPBD

12. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

Thank you, Gadgwah. :hug:

The epic story of one of the most savage battles of the Second World War.

Kohima. In this remote Indian village near the border with Burma, a tiny force of British and Indian troops faced the might of the Imperial Japanese Army. Outnumbered ten to one, the defenders fought the Japanese hand to hand in a battle that was amongst the most savage in modern warfare.

A garrison of no more than 1,500 fighting men, desperately short of water and with the wounded compelled to lie in the open, faced a force of 15,000 Japanese. They held the pass and prevented a Japanese victory that would have proved disastrous for the British. Another six weeks of bitter fighting followed as British and Indian reinforcements strove to drive the enemy out of India. When the battle was over, a Japanese army that had invaded India on a mission of imperial conquest had suffered the worst defeat in its history. Thousands of men lay dead on a devastated landscape, while tens of thousands more Japanese starved in a catastrophic retreat eastwards. They called the journey back to Burma the ‘Road of Bones’, as friends and comrades committed suicide or dropped dead from hunger along the jungle paths.

Fergal Keane has reported for the BBC from conflicts on every continent over the past 25 years, and he brings to this work of history not only rigorous scholarship but a raw understanding of the pitiless nature of war. It is a story filled with vivid characters: the millionaire's son who refused a commission and was awarded a VC for his sacrifice in battle, the Roedean debutante who led a guerrilla band in the jungle, and the General who defied the orders of a hated superior in order to save the lives of his men. Based on original research in Japan, Britain and India, ‘Road of Bones’ is a story about extraordinary courage and the folly of imperial dreams.

13. ............55

14. Auld-Yin

If you are thinking about this book then how about its companion, Matterhorn? A book also set in South East Asia but 25 years or so later on. Still momentous battles which helped decide the shape of the world we now live in.

These would be a fantastic pair of books to own so have a look here at Matterhorn and get your bids in.

15. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

One of the smaller Conference Rooms at the former HQ LAND site is called the Kohima Room.....I recall having to explain to a colleague WHY.......it's not as if I'm a fierce red-faced passed over Major either dammit...

The Indian Army Staff College would be very proud to include this book in their collection.

For those interested in the 'Forgotten Army', besides General Slim's seminal account 'Defeat Into Victory' may I also commend to the House
    'A hell of a licking' by Maj Gen James Lunt - late DWR, 16/5 and QRL.

Signed by Feargal Keane - himself a PTSD sufferer who has also been a strong supporter of Combat Stress?

£60

Goats