Holidays for Heroes 'Organisational Culture and Leadership' - ends 18/10/10

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Oct 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Thanks to another amazingly generous arrser, I am able to offer this text book for auction.

'Organisational Culture and Leadership' by Edgar H Schein. It's Brand Spanking New, and would cost about £20-£30 depending on where you buy it. It is a stricly academic book and is probably suitable for a Business Studies degree. ISBN 0-7879-6845-5.

The offer includes postage to the winning bidder, and all proceeds go to Holidays for Heroes.

Ends 18th October, 2010 at 1800 hours.

2. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

Here is a photo of the book:

[​IMG]

And I've put it on RP and FB as well.

3. YesItsMe

Let's have a booky [​IMG]

4. Grownup_Rafbrat

No-one studying Management at all?

Enough people on here complain about their Management, now's the time to become cleverer than them!

5. YesItsMe

Review
    "Worth reading again and again and again." (Booklist)
    “An organizational development pioneer uses an anthropological approach to address a leader’s role in shaping group and organizational dynamics.” (Knowledge Management)
    “[Schein] is, to use an overworked word, a guru, the recognized expert in the field.” (Inside Busin) --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Product Description
    Genuinely useful to those interested in effectiveness, leadership, and culture.
    -- Joan V. Gallos, instructor in management, Radcliffe Seminars, Harvard University

Readers will:
    * Understand team and organization dynamics
    * See how new technologies influence organizations
    * Learn about managing across cultural boundaries
    * Gain insight into overcoming cultural resistance to change...and much more!

Focusing on the complex business realities of the '90s, organizational development pioneer Edgar H. Schein updates his influential understanding of culture, and lucidly demonstrates the crucial role leaders play in successfully applying the principles of culture to achieve their organizations' goals. Schein shows how to identify, nurture, and shape the cultures of organizations in any stage of development, and presents critical new learnings and practices in the field, including additional work on subcultures. The result is a vital aid to understanding and practicing organizational effectiveness.

6. Grownup_Rafbrat

I'm going to start the bidding on this with a tenner.

7. YesItsMe

Thank you, GRB. :)

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

It will save the cost of postage if no-one outbids me, but I'd rather someone did!

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Any more bids, please?

10. YesItsMe

[​IMG] Only a day left now, folks.

11. I bought this book for an MSc (the module was about management) and can thoroughly recommend it. Although it is an acedemic book, it is written in a very accessible syle.

I was surprised on reading it how well the author's theories on organisation culture and leadership can be applied to almost any job. For my degree course I tend to read any book with a degree of cynicism and scepticism that would make most arsers look like supplicant lambs - the reason I do this is so that I can, I hope, debate propositions from all angles before going forward wih my own considered opinion.

With Edgar Schein's book I found it very difficult to argue with his propositions. I tried thinking about how his arguments would hold up in a military context - I believe they would very well, and the same goes for every job in which I have been involved.

For those still serving, don't discount this book as another "bloody grads' " book. It really is an excellent read if you are a manager at any level.

Oh, and I'll bid 15 quid because the Organisational Strategy Manager in the company with whom I work skimmed through my copy and said he would buy it for that amount.

12. YesItsMe

Thank you for this revision, Oyibo. :)

I'm sure this will help others.

13. YesItsMe

Not much time left to get hold of this fantastic book. You better hurry to bid for it. :)

14. YesItsMe

[​IMG]

Congratulation, GRB !!

For £10 the book is yours.
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your endless support for Hols4Heroes.

(And a BIG thanks to the kind ARRSEr who donated the item. [​IMG] )

I'm sure you know where to send the money to. :-D

And afterwards please put the book next to your favourite reading place. ;-)

15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Errm.. Oyibo outbid me at £15 for his colleague.

Oyibo, would you PM me with the address where I should send the book please?