Holidays for Heroes - Leeson Street Patrol by Terence Cuneo.- ends 4.4.12

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Mar 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

In this rather splendid auction you may bid for

A Framed Print of 'Leeson Street Patrol' by Terence Cuneo.

Kindly donated by Arrse-onist as he's a bon oeuf.
    It shows Members of R Company The Royal Green Jackets in action during their 4 month operational tour of Northern Ireland in September 1971.
    Winning bid includes postage to UK or BFPO address.

There is a reserve of £50 on this item.

The auction will run until
    Wednesday, 4th April at 1800 hours (UK Time)

All proceeds to Holidays4Heroes.
    By bidding or taking part in the auctions in any way, you agree tacitly to abide by the Auction Rules.

Terence Cuneo CVO,OBE Born 1st November 1907, died 3rd January 1996. Terence Cuneo was not only one of the worlds greatest military painters, he also one of the top railway artists as well. Terence Cuneo was also the official artist for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. Terence Cuneo was born in London on November 1st 1907. His parents Cyrus and Nell were both artists who met while studying with Whistler in Paris. Terence Cuneo studied at the Chelsea Polytechnic and Slade School of Art. He became an illustrator for a number of magazines and book publishers. During World War Two Terence Cuneo joined the army and became a sapper but also worked with the War Artists Advisory Committee, and in this role he produced illustrations of various factories during wartime and other wartime events. Soon after the end of the war Terence Cuneo was commissioned to produce a series of paintings of railways and their locomotives. And this was followed by being appointed the official artist for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, which helped promote Terence Cuneo to a worldwide audience and a number of major commissions followed. (An interesting trademark Cuneo painted in his paintings is a little mouse.) A major part of his paintings were commissioned by various British regiments and many of these terrific paintings are shown here In 1994 Cranston Fine Arts approached Terrence Cuneo to reproduce a number of these historical art paintings and with his consent and the consent of the regiments involved a total of 800 of each print was re produced. Sadly in 1996 Terence Cuneo passed away, but he has left us with a fantastic collection of fine paintings of military history and steam locomotive paintings, which are collected around the world and are very sought after. Terence Cuneo was admired and respected by his peers and public and a large bronze memorial statue of Terence Cuneo by Philip Jackson stands in the concourse of Waterloo Station in London.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Right, now to load the darned picture! Who said this was easy???

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. £60 to start things off!
  4. Grownup_Rafbrat

Many thanks 455WG. Much appreciated.
  5. The mouse in this print is in the bottom RH corner and is patrolling along with his own mini SLR!
  6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thanks for the tip, Arrse_onist. Magnifying glass at the ready!
  7. Grownup_Rafbrat

So any more bids for this picture of a heavily-armed mouse leading a patrol of RGJ through the streets of Northern Ireland?

I'd have thought all those SLR fans would be interested :)
  8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Saturday evening bump. Any more bids for this fine picture?
  9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Any advance on £60?
  10. Can I ask the measurements, please?
  11. £65
  12. Ah that brings back memories some happy and some not. One that springs to mind is going to search the Long Bar for nasty things (March 1971) and being told to "hold off" until higher command authorised the search. So I just sat at the bar chatting to the regulars in uniform of course. When they found out that I was an RC and had Irish parents, we got on fairly well. They knew that I had no cash on me (as was the SOPs at the time) so I had 20 ciggies and a pint on the house. In the end the search was not authorised and the cordon withdrew and so did I. Before leaving the regulars invited me back - for some reason I never did.
  13. In the frame it measures 74cm wide by 54cm high.
  14. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thanks, Arrse_onist. And scarletto for your bid.
  15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Still at £65 with scarletto. Any advance?