Holidays for Heroes at Weymouth 23/24 June 2012

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Mar 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Holidays for Heroes will have a stall at Weymouth Veterans' Weekend this year. It's becoming a regular fixture in all the best social calendars!

What with all the other stuff going on this Summer I thought I'd get it in early and ask for helpers to put the weekend in their diaries.

There is work for everyone - erecting and dismantling the stall, eating cake, hanging bunting, making brews, eating cake, taking bears' photographs, and selling goods. Of course there's the opportunity to chat up members of the opposite sex whilst asking them for money. Did I mention the cake? The more helpers there are, the easier it is for people to take a break to watch the various events and soak up the atmosphere.

We already have a guarantee of help from Alfredo, so we'll be pitched next to the Parachute Regimental Association again. Shopgirl will be there with stock, and we'll be asking Steve the Photographer to photograph Sgt Slingsby and Cpl Horsa who are scheduled to be there.

If you'd like to help on either day, please let me know via PM or on this thread. Thank you.
  2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Southernist. Is there a Postal Cake Delivery Service that those of us serving on the northern wall may subscribe to? You can stick your runny marmalade. Just the cake. Thanks.
  3. Grownup_Rafbrat

I'm sure that for a reasonable donation to 'Holidays for Heroes' I could send you a lemon drizzle by post*, Mr. The Duke. How deep are your pockets?

* of course I can't guarantee it will arive in one piece, or even at all, but then it's all for a charidubble cause
  4. Grownup_Rafbrat

So that's Alfredo, Shopgirl, Poppy and me.

Any more volunteers please?
  5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Bijou bumpette for the weekend crowd.

Weymouth calling!
  6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Early days, but a gentle BUMP to keep this in your minds when planning Summer Jollity.
  7. Grownup_Rafbrat

Horsa and I are just heading down to Weymouth to leave collecting tins with a few of our supporters down there.

The big day is drawing nearer, and any willing volunteers are welcome.
  8. We will be bringing a tank or two and a high speed tractor down to an event nearby in Dorch that weekend and maybe even down to Weymouth on the sunday , would be happy to collect for the cause at the event and from the public as we do our thang.
  9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grimbo, that would be lovely. I have a supply of collecting tins, leaflets and stickers that you could use. I'll drop you a PM to see where we might arrange a handover.

(I do a lot of work for 'Holidays for Heroes' in car parks ... :) )
  10. Grownup_Rafbrat

The T-shirts are sorted - anyone else willing to fill one?
  11. Hi, unfortunately we can't make it as it clashes with Yeovilton Airshow :(.

Are you guys at Tank Fest the weekend after???

12. Grownup_Rafbrat

You'll be missed, but you can't be in two places at once. Horsa has an invitation to 'Maiden Newton at War', which is the same weekend, unfortunately.

We are indeed at Tankfest the following weekend, and would be delighted to see you there. There is a thread. I'll bump it!
  13. Grownup_Rafbrat

All, this event is now next month!

So far we have me, shopgirl, Alfredo, Poppy, Steve the Photographer, and some of Alfredo's mates. Plus Grimbo collecting at a different event down the road.

We could do with a few more volunteers, particularly fit ones for the 'setting up and taking down' phases. If you can help in anyway you will be rewarded, not just with cake, but with banter, coffee, tea, sarnies, a chance to see all the fab stuff that goes on over the weekend, and the knowledge that you're helping us to help chaps and chapesses who really need it.

Please volunteer if you possibly can. Thanks.
  14. Grownup_Rafbrat

Six weeks to go folks, and I'm wondering whether we can manage to go ahead this year.

Volunteers so far - Alfredo, Shopgirl, Poppy, Steve the photographer and me. With the notable exception of Poppy, all of the above are either elderly or have been ill in the past year and are not necessarily at their full peak of fitness.

I'd really appreciate a couple of able-bodied bods, particularly at set-up and take-down.

If you can spare some time, I can assure you it's fun, the cake is lovely, and the experience of being part of this event is well worth the time you spend.

Veterans Awareness Week