Holidays for Heroes at Tankfest 10 30th June and 1st July 2012

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Mar 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

As if Weymouth Veterans' Festival weren't enough, the following week 'Holidays for Heroes' is doing a fundraiser at Tankfest. This is the tenth Tankfest at the Tank Museum, Bovington, and they're planning for it to be extra specially brilliant.

We'll have our usual stall with tombola, branded goods, etc. and a collection of military books which have been donated by an ARRSEr.

If anyone would like to come along and help at the stall (less erection/dismantling, but just as much tea, cake and banter) you'd be very welcome.

Please add your name to the thread or PM me if you'd like to help.

Thanks
    GRB

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

OK Folks, a small bump for the weekend ARRSErs and an update on helpers.

Shopgirl,
    Me
    Last To Know plus 2 x Last To Know juniors.

This is a fab weekend with lots going on, and the atmosphere is excellent. Please volunteer if you can.

3. Grownup_Rafbrat

Anyone else planning to visit Tankfest this year, and available to give us a hand? Even an hour will be a help, and cake is its own reward ...

4. Grownup_Rafbrat

A small bump for the Horsa's No. One Fan. And anyone else who can spare an hour. Lemon Drizzle cake and Ginger Nuts will be on the menu, I think. Plus I've seen a recipe for a 'Union Flag' cake, which I may well make and ask punters to 'Guess the Weight' again.

Shopgirl,
    Me
    Last To Know plus 2 x Last To Know juniors.

This is a fab weekend with lots going on, and the atmosphere is excellent. Please volunteer if you can.[/QUOTE]

5. Add Me and Fat_walt :eek:) for both days

Will also still have Sgt Braille if you want me to bring him :eek:)

Had this booked in my diary since the start of the year :eek:)

xx

6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Oh, excellent. Thank you. We can finalise arrangements regarding a certain 'other' cake whilst we're there.

I shall miss the smell of sherry and fruit whenever I open the dresser, but I suppose you must have it...

7. Grownup_Rafbrat

All, Here is some information about Tankfest. Even if you aren't planning to help on our stall (just inside the foyer) you might like to plan a day out during the course of the weekend. This year there's a WW1 Tank Battle reenactment, including those new fangled (at the time) flying machines, plus a Tiger and a Black Prince running round the arena, and the mocked up Mark IV used in the film 'War Horse'. It really is a great day out for all the family.

Tankfest 10 - Bing Videos

Welcome to the Tank Museum - Home of the Tank - Tankfest 2012 – 10th Anniversary Show!

Volunteers so far:
    Shopgirl,
    Horsa's No 1 fan
    Fat Walt
    Last To Know plus 2 x Last To Know juniors
    Me
    If you'd like to join us for a spell please add your name to the list.

8. Hi

Any news on timings....i know i'm being a little previous though! :)

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Nothing official yet HN1F and my head is full of next weekend's Weymouth Extravaganza.

For now, could you assume it will be 0830 as before? I can confirm that we have the same spot - first stall in the hall. Yayy!

10. Grownup_Rafbrat

OK, folks, the spotlight moves inland from Weymouth to sunny Bovington, and next week's tenth Tankfest Extravaganza.

The lovely people at the Museum let 'Holidays for Heroes' have a stall for free, and give us the prime pitch, first stall inside the main museum building.

This year we're allowed to start setting up on the Friday afternoon. I shall therefore declare 'Sports Afternoon' on Friday, finish work at lunchtime, and take the table, chairs, tablecloths, banner, etc. across the road and get it all rigged ready for Saturday.

If the volunteers who can be early birds would arrive at around 0830 (a lie-in after Weymouth, I assure you!) we should have plenty of time to set up and have first brews and cake scoffed before the punters start to arrive.

Trading goes on much later this year, as the stalls will be open to the re-enactors and other people on 'sleepovers' until around 1900. As we don't have to dismantle on the Saturday night, I'll stay as long as people are buying stuff; other volunteers , you know, the ones with lives, will be allowed home earlier. :)

HN1F I'll bring Amy, wearing her DPM but carrying her 'Mess Dress' ready for duties as Bridesmaid. Cpl Horsa and Sgt Slingsby will also be in attendance.

I am test driving a borrowed DSLR (that's a CAMERA, for the Old'n'Bold) but would appreciate photographic backup from someone who knows what they're doing please.

The stall will be selling 'Holidays for Heroes' and ARRSe t-shirts, second hand books, second hand CDs, 'Holidays for Heroes' keyrings, wristbands, fridge magnets, car stickers, and mugs. And of course there will be the 'Tombola for Mugs'. Sweets and lollies will be available for children as well as the usual stickers we give away. Those last two are courtesy of YesItsMe, who is with us in spirit, if not in person!

If anyone else can spare some time on either Saturday or Sunday, it will give the volunteers a break to go and look at tanky things (and listen to their engines!) and to try to spot our own dear Alfredo who will be driving one of the vehicles on the arena.

Please PM me if I've missed anything, or if you need anything to be clarified.

Eyethangyew.

11. I will have my camera, so happy to be photographer :) i'm getting quite good

12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thank you tar, as the Snail would say.

13. I will bring camera and Braille then :) see you in the car park at 8:30 :)

14. Grownup_Rafbrat

If I'm not there, come inside :)

15. I have a box of goodies for Grownup Rafbrat/HOLS4HEROS, but at the moment I am unable to get down to Sunny Dorset.

Is anybody going to Tankfest passing Milton Keynes (Junc 13, M1), and able to meet me and take it down on either Friday or Saturday.

Can possible meet on M40/A34 near Bicester or A5 etc.