Holidays for Heroes at Tank Museum Wartime Christmas Festival 3rd & 4th December 2011

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Sep 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Welcome to the Tank Museum - Home of the Tank - Wartime Christmas Festival 2011

All, the lovely people at the Tank Museum are holding this event on the 3rd and 4th December.

Holidays for Heroes has booked a stall there and will be selling our branded items, the lovely beaded jewellery made for us by Carol at Carol's Beading Classes and the ladies of The Bead Base. We'll also be doing our Tombola, which has been a successful fundraiser in 2011.

As a new venture we'll be selling books. These are once-read books which have been reviewed for the Arrse Book Club, and which the reviewers don't wish to keep. Many are expensive hard backs and they cover a wide range of topics. They are all in perfect condition and will have a copy of their ABC Review with them.

As well as an opportunity to do your Christmas Shopping, it's an opportunity to help this cause. At Christmas our fundraising is particularly important because we arrange for Christmas Present Vouchers for all the children of families we have helped during the year. We feel this small gesture helps them to realise that others are thinking of them, in what might be their first Christmas without a parent, or with a parent who is in hospital, or learning to live with disability.

Hot drinks and cake are provided for volunteers, and the fun and banter are free too. If you can offer any time on either day, please do the usual - update the post with names in it, showing when you're available.

Many thanks,
    GRB

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Volunteers:

GRB and Friend - both days
    Horsa's No 1 Fan and Mark

(I haven't included his arrse name for persec reasons!)

3. Count Me & Mark in as well both days :)

4. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thank you HN1F. It will be good to see you both again. Will you bring Amy? Could I collect her for making that wedding outfit?

5. Hi

Yeap we can bring Amy, and possibly Braille if i still have him :)

6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Excellent. A good complement of bears in support.

Any more volunteer people?

7. Grownup_Rafbrat

A Sunday Bump.

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Just because Bisley is over and done with, don't think we at 'Holidays for Heroes' have stopped calling for volunteers!

We have a stall booked at this fab event and will be selling our branded items, the lovely beaded jewellery made for us by Carol at Carol's Beading Classes and the ladies of The Bead Base, plus books provided by those lovely people at the ABC (Arrse Book Club).

At Christmas our fundraising is particularly important because we arrange for Christmas Present Vouchers for all the children of families we have helped during the year. We feel this small gesture helps them to realise that others are thinking of them, in what might be their first Christmas without a parent, or with a parent who is in hospital, or learning to live with disability.

Hot drinks and cake are provided for volunteers, and it seems that Ginger Nuts are the new favourite bake of arrsers. If you can offer any time on either day, please do the usual - update the post with names in it, showing when you're available.

So far there's

Shopgirl
    GRB
    Horsa's No. 1 Fan +1

We could do with a few more, to allow for breaks, and to help with setting up and packing away.

Thank you,

GRB

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Any more people who might spend an hour or two at the Tank Museum, helping us to sell books, jewellery and Holidays for Heroes wotsits?

Go on, you know you want to!

10. I may be available.

11. Grownup_Rafbrat

You'd be most welcome if you can wangle it.

12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Three weeks to go until this lovely two-day event. Our stall will be open on both days and will be selling 'Holidays for Heroes' branded items, the lovely beaded jewellery made for us by Carol at Carol's Beading Classes and the ladies of The Bead Base, plus books provided by those lovely people at the ABC (Arrse Book Club). We're also having a 'Guess the Weight of the Christmas Cake' competition, with the prize being a Christmas cake made and iced by me.

All volunteers are welcome, and are assured of a few laughs whilst helping this very good cause.

At Christmas our fundraising is particularly important because we arrange for Christmas Present Vouchers for all the children of families we have helped during the year. We feel this small gesture helps them to realise that others are thinking of them, in what might be their first Christmas without a parent, or with a parent who is in hospital, or learning to live with disability.

Hot drinks and home-made ginger nuts will be provided for volunteers. If you can offer any time on either day, please update the post with names in it, showing when you're available.

So far there's

Shopgirl
    GRB
    Horsa's No. 1 Fan +1

Possibly Fiona_TG
    and the original phantom.

13. Grownup_Rafbrat

Two weeks to go now. The cake, weight for the guessing-of, is made and iced, book reviews printed, and biscuits made and frozen.

If you can spare some time to voluneer, please do. If you can't, and you're in the area of Bovington, please pop in and buy something to support the cause.

There will be lots going on, and you could probably complete all your Christmas Shopping at the Christmas Market!

14. Grownup_Rafbrat

No information yet from the Tank Museum about starting times, etc., so I'll assume it's the same as when we did Tankfest.

We'll arrive around 0800 to unpack, set up our stall and organise ourselves. Trading will probably start from around 0900. We'll pack up when trade tails off at the end of the day. We may be allowed to leave the stall set up overnight, just removing stock and cash.

If I hear anything else I'll let you know here.

15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Folks I now have the joining instructions.

Trading hours are 10.00 to 16.00 but set up must be completed by 09.30. I think our plan of meeting at 08.00 should still stand. Packup is from 16.00 to 17.00 depending on trading.

I have passes for five people. That should cover shopgirl, HN1F+1, Fiona and me. If anyone else is planning to help, please shout now or you'll have to pay entrance fee! Fiona please let me know asap if you're a 'definite'. I'll hold the badge until you do.

Shopgirl will bring the Sarge and stock.

Perhaps we could meet by Molly's Diner at 0800 so I could give people their passes?

I think everyone who's attending has my mobile phone number. If not, please PM me.

Any ARRSERs who are attending, please feel free to pop in and say 'Hello'.