• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Holidays for Heroes at Tank Museum Wartime Christmas Festival 1st & 2nd December 2012

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
For the third year, we have taken a stall at this excellent event. We'll do our usual selling of t-shirts, Holidays for Heroes Merchandise, books (many from the ARRSE Book Club), and 'Guess the Weight of the Christmas Cake'. This year we're doing a Bran Tub instead of a tombola, and will also have a selection of DVDs donated by one of our most generous ARRSE supporters.

I'm able to set the stall up on the Friday afternoon, but would be very grateful for volunteers to help man the stall, take photos of bears doing interesting things, make brews and eat the cakes which are provided for helpers.

So far the volunteers are:

Me
Hilary the Cake Monitor
Olivia's Nannie

These two ladies aren't ARRSErs but have offered their help to us. We could do with a few more people, to help the event go with a swing. If you can spare an hour or two in return for some cake, banter and the knowledge that you're helping lads, lasses and their families to have much-needed holidays, please add your name to the list.

Many thanks
GRB

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Is anyone able to offer an hour or so on either day? It's a great event, and you'll have plenty of time to do Christmas Shopping, see Santa, and gaze wistfully at tanks ...

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
So far the volunteers are:

Me
Hilary the Cake Monitor
Olivia's Nannie
shopgirl

Any more please? THe more the merrier! (And that's not just because there's rum in the Christmas Cake :) )

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Having proffed a nice big bag of shredded paper for the Bran Tub, I spent an entertaining evening wrapping the presents for it. (With thanks to shopgirl for the bags!)

Of course the bears watched. Or, as put so elegantly by a friend of mine 'It 's always taken 2 Air Troopers to do 1 girl's work'.

Any more volunteers to help us at this event please?

Attachments

CountryGal

MIA
Book Reviewer
Morning grb :)

I can drive down for the Saturday to help out - let me know the timings and if you need anything else. Would something electronic from work be useful or too out of keeping?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
So five birds, free cake and tanks and not one red-blooded male stepping up with a cheery "Har Har my dears. I shall help you out, no error"

This is what you get for living in Soft Southern Puffsville. You may have the barmy weather, but you also get the barmy men. Bunch of shandy swilling Nancys.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Having proffed a nice big bag of shredded paper for the Bran Tub, I spent an entertaining evening wrapping the presents for it. (With thanks to shopgirl for the bags!)

Of course the bears watched. Or, as put so elegantly by a friend of mine 'It 's always taken 2 Air Troopers to do 1 girl's work'.

Any more volunteers to help us at this event please?
Looks like you are getting your "$10 dollar bags" ready for the streets! :)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank you Mr. The Duke for the publicity puff. And thank you to the new volunteers. So now we have:
Me
Hilary the Cake Monitor
Olivia's Nannie
shopgirl
Country_Gal
Horsa's No. 1 Fan
Fat Walt
maninblack (Saturday)

Excellent news, and I'll be in touch nearer the time with cake orders and other information!

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thank you Mr. The Duke for the publicity puff.
De Nada sweet pea. I like to help. I shall be up for the cake. Please warn Hilary I have form for cake nicking.

For some strange reason I am now channeling "Four Poofs and a Piano" from the Graham Norton show. I am sure it is just an acid flashback and will pass. They usually do.

four soft southern poofs and some nice cake.jpg

Insurance is now sorted, planning continues, and if anyone else would like to volunteer to join the lovely people listed below, there's still time!

Me
Hilary the Cake Monitor
Olivia's Nannie
shopgirl
Country_Gal
Horsa's No. 1 Fan
Fat Walt
maninblack (Saturday)

Now that Wallop is over, I'm turning my mind to Bovington. Here is the list of volunteers for each day:

Saturday:

Me
Hilary the Cake Monitor
Country_Gal
Horsa's No. 1 Fan
Fat Walt
maninblack

Sunday
Me
Olivia's Nannie
Olivia's Gramps
Horsa's No. 1 Fan
Fat Walt

We'll be selling Stumpy Books, ABC Reviewed books, Holidays for Heroes and ARRSe T-shirts, Jewellery, other Holidays for Heroes goods, dips in the Bran Tub, and opportunities to win a Christmas Cake. We'll be eating chocolate cake and apple muffins, and enjoying the usual banter. Four bears will be there - a rare opportunity to see a 'fundraiser' of so many.

Other volunteers would be more than welcome. As would visits from other ARRSers to say 'hello'.

All, I am very sorry that comms have been a bit short this week. Work is manic, I was away for two days, and I spent three hours driving VERY SLOWLY on the M3 last evening, when I should have been updating you all. Anyway, here is what we know!

- I have been to the museum, unloaded the stuff and set up the stall with the exception of the most valuable items.
- I have four traders' passes for entry to t he Museum, although you may not be asked for them on entry.
- Tomorrow, I shall be there from about 0820 - I have PM'd my phone number to those of you who don't have it, but bear in mind that signals are rubbish down here, so you may need to use the Mark 1 eyeball.
- Trader Parking is at the side of the building and very limited. For those who haven't stuff to carry and are fit, the normal car park is an easy stroll.
- We have our usual spot, so as soon as you come into the Museum, so you will see us, next to the Cashpoint and before Leonardo's prototype tank.
- Trading starts at 0900-ish, but we have been known to sell a few bits in advance, usually to the lovely Museum Stewards who don't get much chance to shop later.
- top it will be great to see you if you can make it!
- I was up at 0630 this morning baking Apple Muffins and Chocolate cake, so we should be OK for supplies. Brews, we'll fetch from the cafe upstairs. Bring a packed lunch if you like, but there are plenty of catering opportunities on site.

Everything else we can cover at the Team Brief, or whenever you arrive.

See you there!

GRB

I doubt I'll be on line again until morning, so call or text please (I won't talk whilst at the Advent Service in Salisbury Cathedral though, so leave a message!)

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Day 1 over, and here's a quick update:

Trading was steady, and the Bran Tub was popular with customers (although not with the small boys who got earrings, or the Tank Museum staff who will have to clear up the shredded paper I couldn't shift with the dustpan and brush).

Maninblack proved very good at persuading children to accept stickers and their parents to drop coins into his collecting tin - a born salesman, if ever there was one! But he doesn't eat cake, so we had to keep an eye on him, as he must be a little weird.

Profit on the day £117.50 plus whatever's in the collecting tins, which I won't open until after tomorrow's trading. At a time when all stallholders were complaining about takings being down, that's a good result, and will fund an airline ticket to 'romantic places'!

Horsa's No. 1 fan took pictures which are on their way to the BMG ready to go with the PXR which I'll write later in the week. I'm now going to put my feet up ready for another day tomorrow.

Well done, all who volunteered and worked so hard to make the first day a success; it was great to pop by and try to support the bookstall by stealing the most eye-catching book!

Latest Threads