Holidays for Heroes at Tank Museum Wartime Christmas Festival 1st & 2nd December 2012

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Oct 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

For the third year, we have taken a stall at this excellent event. We'll do our usual selling of t-shirts, Holidays for Heroes Merchandise, books (many from the ARRSE Book Club), and 'Guess the Weight of the Christmas Cake'. This year we're doing a Bran Tub instead of a tombola, and will also have a selection of DVDs donated by one of our most generous ARRSE supporters.

I'm able to set the stall up on the Friday afternoon, but would be very grateful for volunteers to help man the stall, take photos of bears doing interesting things, make brews and eat the cakes which are provided for helpers.

So far the volunteers are:

Me
    Hilary the Cake Monitor
    Olivia's Nannie

These two ladies aren't ARRSErs but have offered their help to us. We could do with a few more people, to help the event go with a swing. If you can spare an hour or two in return for some cake, banter and the knowledge that you're helping lads, lasses and their families to have much-needed holidays, please add your name to the list.

Many thanks
    GRB

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Is anyone able to offer an hour or so on either day? It's a great event, and you'll have plenty of time to do Christmas Shopping, see Santa, and gaze wistfully at tanks ...

3. Grownup_Rafbrat

So far the volunteers are:

Me
    Hilary the Cake Monitor
    Olivia's Nannie
    shopgirl

Any more please? THe more the merrier! (And that's not just because there's rum in the Christmas Cake :) )

4. Grownup_Rafbrat

Having proffed a nice big bag of shredded paper for the Bran Tub, I spent an entertaining evening wrapping the presents for it. (With thanks to shopgirl for the bags!)

Of course the bears watched. Or, as put so elegantly by a friend of mine 'It 's always taken 2 Air Troopers to do 1 girl's work'.

Any more volunteers to help us at this event please?

Attached Files:

5. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Morning grb :)

I can drive down for the Saturday to help out - let me know the timings and if you need anything else. Would something electronic from work be useful or too out of keeping?

6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thank you CG. The new list of volunteers:
    Me
    Hilary the Cake Monitor
    Olivia's Nannie
    shopgir
    lCountry_Gal

See PM regarding kind electronic offer!

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

So five birds, free cake and tanks and not one red-blooded male stepping up with a cheery "Har Har my dears. I shall help you out, no error"

This is what you get for living in Soft Southern Puffsville. You may have the barmy weather, but you also get the barmy men. Bunch of shandy swilling Nancys.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hi

Count me and Fat_walt in both days

Oh....and Mcpl Amy, Sgt Braille as well!

Will bring my camera as i did last year for you :eek:)

x

9. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Put me down for Saturday 1st.

10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Looks like you are getting your "$10 dollar bags" ready for the streets! :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thank you Mr. The Duke for the publicity puff. And thank you to the new volunteers. So now we have:
    Me
    Hilary the Cake Monitor
    Olivia's Nannie
    shopgirl
    Country_Gal
    Horsa's No. 1 Fan
    Fat Walt
    maninblack (Saturday)

Excellent news, and I'll be in touch nearer the time with cake orders and other information!

12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

De Nada sweet pea. I like to help. I shall be up for the cake. Please warn Hilary I have form for cake nicking.

For some strange reason I am now channeling "Four Poofs and a Piano" from the Graham Norton show. I am sure it is just an acid flashback and will pass. They usually do.

four soft southern poofs and some nice cake.jpg

13. Grownup_Rafbrat

I wouldn't mess with Hilary if I were you. She's a small, retired, feisty widowed-lady from Brummagen. You have been warned.

14. Grownup_Rafbrat

Insurance is now sorted, planning continues, and if anyone else would like to volunteer to join the lovely people listed below, there's still time!

Me
    Hilary the Cake Monitor
    Olivia's Nannie
    shopgirl
    Country_Gal
    Horsa's No. 1 Fan
    Fat Walt
    maninblack (Saturday)

15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Now that Wallop is over, I'm turning my mind to Bovington. Here is the list of volunteers for each day:

Saturday:

Me
    Hilary the Cake Monitor
    Country_Gal
    Horsa's No. 1 Fan
    Fat Walt
    maninblack

Sunday
    Me
    Olivia's Nannie
    Olivia's Gramps
    Horsa's No. 1 Fan
    Fat Walt

We'll be selling Stumpy Books, ABC Reviewed books, Holidays for Heroes and ARRSe T-shirts, Jewellery, other Holidays for Heroes goods, dips in the Bran Tub, and opportunities to win a Christmas Cake. We'll be eating chocolate cake and apple muffins, and enjoying the usual banter. Four bears will be there - a rare opportunity to see a 'fundraiser' of so many.

Other volunteers would be more than welcome. As would visits from other ARRSers to say 'hello'.