Holidaying with the sprogs.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Ravers, Apr 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

After a hideously grim winter up North, the wife and I have decided that next winter we are ******* off somewhere hot.

Normally we'd just jump on the first plane that took our fancy, however we have two sprogs, come winter time, the boy will be 3 and the girl will be 18 months. Now obviously this limits our options considerably, I'm thinking anything longer than a 7 hour flight might be pretty horrendous for us and those unfortunate to be sat within 20ft. Likewise having sprogs limits our choice of activities somewhat, trekking through the Amazon is off the cards, as is banging out a cheeky Dakar Rally.

So what we're looking for is plenty of sunshine, a beach, a pool, plenty of decent bars and places to eat out and enough stuff to keep two young kids entertained. They'll be too young to remember this trip so anything cultural or something like a safari would be a waste, we'd rather save those sort of trips for when they're older.

Budget is about 3-4 grand all in for 10-14 days.

Personally I'm thinking a self catering apartment in Dubai is the way ahead, but I'd be interested to hear any of your suggestions, likewise post your experiences of travelling with sprogs here.

2. All inclusive Tunisia. Plenty off good food, decent enough weather and only 2.5 hours flying time. I strongly recommend the Moevenpick resort in Sousse

Ps meant to add, plenty for the kids to do, as well as a spar for the mrs

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  3. Malta? All the hotels are empty in winter ~ cracking deals, just quite a lot of Germans about. four weeks cheaper than two in spain for the three of us........
  4. Ravers

Coolio, I'll check it out. We went on a Moevenpick Nile cruise just before our first was born. We got the shits but otherwise it wasn't bad at all.
  5. Ravers

I'd be well up for that but the Med isn't really toasty enough in Jan.

Also the chances of an RN warship pulling in and me having to spend the week absolutely shitfaced in the duty watch bar are quite high. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Yep me plan was flawed ~ I can see that now........
    • Like Like x 1
  7. There was a poster on here singing the praises of Morocco a couple of days ago.
  8. Wasn't me but it is a great country, just don't take your vegetarian wife to visit a tannery! Possible marriage breaker! Fairly rank in the heat...........

Ravers talking of RN ships, what is the deal with not being able to put your hand in your pocket in the wardroom when on a vist aboard? Couldn't pay the way which was a bit frustrating
  9. Egypt? Brother and sister in law work out there ~ on the red sea, their tourist industry has fallen off a cliff and its really cheap. Very secure, compunded 'towns' with your own bit of the red sea coast?
  10. Ravers

Guests don't buy the beer, simple as. Same deal from the Weirdroom to the Dabber's mess.

Hospitable ***** us matelots.

Morocco, yes, that could be a goer.
  11. Should be a few bargains in Cyprus. Alpine Ski in the morning and dive in the afternoon. Good simple scoff and booze. Plenty of cruises to Israel and Egypt. Go to the North of the Greek side, Polis. Avoid Aya Napa. I've always like the place but HM did used to send me on a minimum of six weeks holiday every year.
  12. Ravers

Our last proper holiday was Egypt, to be honest we both thought it was a massive shit hole, a fact that was reinforced by the world falling out of both our anuses about three days into the trip.

We'd rather avoid it this time.
  13. Dubai is really quite shit. There seems to be this hype that it's a millionaires paradise for people who aren't millionaires but it's not really true. There are a lot of nice hotels and things like the harbour and the palm are nice but you have to spend a lot to enjoy them properly. Atlantis itself is also a very **** place, it's full of German tourists. I don't know how people manage 2 weeks in Dubai, all I did there was get smashed every night and work every day, there isn't much else to do.

Also your flights will occupy at least half your budget.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Oh it is in 90% of the country, you definately need the European run villages ~ again Movenpick of Switzerland run several of them. Thats where the in laws work. We've been out a lot with them and never had a problem.... The trip to the airport can be an eye opener though. Talk about have and have not cultures..

but if its not you cuppa its not I guess, especially after a bad experience