Holiday UK entitlement?

My friends daughter is starting work for an IT/Ebay (UK based) selling company and pay & benefits are very good.
Except the holiday entitlement which is 12 days holiday plus 8 days bank holidays and the the firm, jimmy the owner say this is legal? I thought as did my friend that it was 4 weeks plus 8 days bank holiday in the UK?

Is flash jimmy, sorry james correct or ripping of his staff??

Google is your friend.
So is "Almost all workers are legally entitled to 5.6 weeks’ paid holiday per year (known as statutory leave entitlement or annual leave). An employer can include bank holidays as part of statutory annual leave."
But flash jimmy stalling on this one, seems it is 4 weeks + 8 bank holidays = 5.6 weeks?
Will have to get my legal eagle in the Uk to look over it and make sure Hannah not being ripped off!

holiday entitlement - Search - GOV.UK
Almost all workers are legally entitled to 5.6 weeks’ paid holiday per year (known as statutory leave entitlement or annual leave). An employer can include bank holidays as part of statutory annual leave.
Working 5 days a week
Most workers who work a 5-day week must receive at least 28 days’ paid annual leave per year. This is the equivalent of 5.6 weeks of holiday
============
12 days sounds like an American company entitlement

EDIT:
leave calculator
Calculate holiday entitlement - GOV.UK

Last edited:
Glad it's sorted in her favour.
he seemed to fold rather quickly....I'd love to say grass him up to ?DWP/ACAS/HSE?, but it might be too easy for someone to make the connection to a new employee...and you don't really get many rights as an employee for the first 2 years.

Union studies show UK workers on average do a fair bit of unpaid overtime. Entirely fair enough if you're finishing something because you are professional or conscientious, but not regularly and without recognition.

I understand that employers are allowed to INCLUDE band and public holidays in the statutory entitlement.
Nope , not on your Nelly.

Public Holidays are a separate a thing seeing as it's the Govt that chooses them, not the employers......they just say they they give it to sound all user friendly.

E.g Joe public works 5 days per week so his employer has to give him 4 x his working week i.e 20 days ...Govt /EU Directive on working time/Employment Law also states that the employer MUST also give 8 bank holidays.

So really its semantics - Does they employer give bank holidays or does the Law?

To Confirm: Public Holidays are not part of an employees holiday entitlement ... .4 x your working week off As LEAVE is your entitlement - Fun starts when Joe A work 5 x 8 hours days and Joe B works 5 x 12 hours days , yet they both get the same 20 days annual leave ;-)

Last edited:
Bank holidays

Bank or public holidays do not have to be given as paid leave.

An employer can choose to include bank holidays as part of a worker’s statutory annual leave.

Naw, that means that they do not have to pay you for leave IF your leave falls on a a bank holiday as you already get paid bank holidays - they just pay you the bank holiday, hence careful planning of holidays is essential ;-) the reverse of this is that you only need to take 4 days to get a fully paid week off if it includes a bank holiday.

Nope , not on your Nelly.

Public Holidays are a separate a thing seeing as it's the Govt that chooses them, not the employers......they just say they they give it to sound all user friendly.

E.g Joe public works 5 days per week so his employer has to give him 4 x his working week i.e 20 days ...Govt /EU Directive on working time/Employment Law also states that the employer MUST also give 8 bank holidays.

So really its semantics - Does they employer give bank holidays or does the Law?

To Confirm: Public Holidays are not part of an employees holiday entitlement ... .4 x your working week off As LEAVE is your entitlement - Fun starts when Joe A work 5 x 8 hours days and Joe B works 5 x 12 hours days , yet they both get the same 20 days annual leave ;-)
Naw, that means that they do not have to pay you for leave IF your leave falls on a a bank holiday as you already get paid bank holidays - they just pay you the bank holiday, hence careful planning of holidays is essential ;-) the reverse of this is that you only need to take 4 days to get a fully paid week off if it includes a bank holiday.
Bank holidays are not a legal requirement. Otherwise nothing would be open on a bank holiday

Bank holidays are public holidays that are set in law, but are not a legal requirement to be provided as holidays for employees.
The statutory minimum for leave is 5.6 times your normal working week, and as a minimum includes the 8 bank holidays
So a person working a 5 day week has a minimum allowance of 5.6 x 5 = 28 days
That minimum includes bank holidays, so an employee can be given 20 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays. You can be given more, eg I have 31.5 days annual leave excluding bank holidays so I get 39.5 days off giving me 11.5 days more than the statutory minimum

Bank holidays are not a legal requirement. Otherwise nothing would be open on a bank holiday

Bank holidays are public holidays that are set in law, but are not a legal requirement to be provided as holidays for employees.
The statutory minimum for leave is 5.6 times your normal working week, and as a minimum includes the 8 bank holidays
So a person working a 5 day week has a minimum allowance of 5.6 x 5 = 28 days
That minimum includes bank holidays, so an employee can be given 20 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays. You can be given more, eg I have 31.5 days annual leave excluding bank holidays so I get 39.5 days off giving me 11.5 days more than the statutory minimum

Yep, I understand some of your points re contractual leave and the perception of how Bank holidays are applied to the individual employee - and also nothing being open on BH's if everyone always, with no exception, took them off - however, double time or TOIL is standard for those who do work on BH's.

Not sure why you make the statement that they are not a legal requirement though? - if they were not a legal requirement then no fecker would get them off as the many unscrupulous mamzers of employers would force their Ops to work on those days ......and that is why Bank Holidays/contractual leave/EU Working Time directives/ are so much fun for employers - to stiff their Ops, and for employees , to be stiffed.

It needs all those affected to understand the real deal of the phrase 'fair and reasonable' .

We're probably saying the same thing in a roundabout way though.

Last edited: