Holiday on a UK registered cruise ship?

Just a quick question from the all knowing Arrsers.

If I went on a holiday on a UK registered cruise ship , from the UK to say to the USA and I never got off the ship, would I be , even if the ship is say in New York still legally in the UK?

When our ship got to St Thomas in the Virgin Islands, everyone had to clear US customs whether getting off or not. Maybe something to do with being in US waters?

Edited to add. The septic customs officer was one of the happiest and friendliest one of his kind I have ever met. I suppose having a posting like that must warm the old cockles. He asked what we were going to do and I said something along the lines of "bit of shopping and lunch in Charlotte Amalie, carriage ride to Megan's Bay for a quick swim and a couple of planters punch on the beach. Then back to the ship for a siesta and off for dinner". I think he replied "Sounds like a plan to me".

Last edited:
Doesn't that only apply outside countries territorial waters? Ie where something is stateless then the ships country applies (eg births at sea)

No, a Cruise Ship is not a Warship: the moment you cross the 12nm limit from which ever baseline the US claims, you are in the USA. Their laws and requirements apply to you just as much as if you'd flown in, rowed across or walked in.

I was always told that warships are subject to local laws when in port. Hence if a bunch of local rozzers storm up the gangway in Shanghai and demand your entire stock of Pimms, or access to your crypto gear, there's nothing you can do about it (other than stall for as long as possible while the duty watch gets to work on the crypto gear with axes, sledge hammers and thermite).

Even embassies aren't foreign territory. They're just bits of the host country over which the local authorities have very little control.

I was always told that warships are subject to local laws when in port. Hence if a bunch of local rozzers storm up the gangway in Shanghai and demand your entire stock of Pimms, or access to your crypto gear, there's nothing you can do about it (other than stall for as long as possible while the duty watch gets to work on the crypto gear with axes, sledge hammers and thermite).

Even embassies aren't foreign territory. They're just bits of the host country over which the local authorities have very little control.

I'd shoot them. Gen Dit.

A Warship is Sovereign, and thus is a little piece of the UK, subject only to UK laws and treaties etc, regardless of wherever they are in the world. That is why you have to request Diplomatic Clearance to go into another country (or their TTW*) when you are in a Warship. Breaking this legal construct is an act of war.

This is also the reason we don't get paid "tax-free" when "away" - we've never left the UK.....

*Subject to the usual UNCLOS faff about straights passage, innocent passage, archipelagic passage etc.

Latest Threads