Holiday for less than a grand?

#1
I'm looking to go away in the next few weeks and have about a grand to spend all in, including spending cash. As I'll be travelling solo, package deals are out due to the single traveller supplements. It'll just be a backpack and a few clothes that I'll be taking. Accommodation doesn't need to be plush and I'm not looking for fancy restaurants. Any suggestions for between 7 and 14 days? Sunshine is a must, culture would be nice (no sunburnt chavs) and so would a sprinkling of the female species. Any ideas? I'm torn between Malta and Morocco at the moment. Anyone been to Malta?
 
#2
Never been to Malta, but I've been to Morocco. I'd recommend Malta. :)
 
#5
I went to Agadir in Morocco (and visited Marrakesh and the usual stuff) in 1982, 1984 and 1986 ....... and loved it. Wonderful sun, sea, sex, walking, climbing. And very cheap.

I went to Malta in 1993. Saw lots of churches. I would have thought it OK for a family holiday ...... but not sure if you're going as a singly. My daughter and her famly go to Malta often, because her partner is part Maltese and has family there.
 
#6
Northern Cyprus was/is very nice not too touristy! me and kids went out in 2005 met up with hubby (he was on UN duty). Plenty of nice eateries and culture a plenty.

Do not go to Gambia!

Benidorm is fab for cheap tacky holibob.....
 
#7
Bootifull said:
Benidorm is fab for cheap tacky holibob.....
If anyone goes to Benidorm, can you have a look around for my virginity? :D I lost it there in 1971. 8O
 
#8
putteesinmyhands said:
Never been to Malta, but I've been to Morocco. I'd recommend Malta. :)
Bad times in Morocco, eh? I've heard it's one of those places you either love or hate.

offhand said:
Red Sea and get some good diving in
I've been to Egypt before, not to the Red Sea but Cairo, Aswan and Luxor. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I shat me pants in Pizza Hut in Tahrir Square and had to walk about a mile back to the hotel with sh1t stained shorts. I've heard that lots of fine horny Israeli women go to Dahab.

the_butler said:
Don't see what's wrong with Blackpool.
Being serious BTW.
Seriously Butler, you need to get out more. I was in Blackpool recently for work. Grim, very grim. Nearly as bad as Rhyl, but nowhere near as bad as Barry Island in Wales. By the way, how is your boot shining by post business going? Top idea.

bovvy said:
I went to Agadir in Morocco (and visited Marrakesh and the usual stuff) in 1982, 1984 and 1986 ....... and loved it. Wonderful sun, sea, sex, walking, climbing. And very cheap.

I went to Malta in 1993. Saw lots of churches. I would have thought it OK for a family holiday ...... but not sure if you're going as a singly. My daughter and her famly go to Malta often, because her partner is part Maltese and has family there.
For some reason I'm drawn to Malta. I agree, it may be a bit quiet for a singly. Agadir sounds nice, though it may have changed since the mid '80s.

Bootifull said:
Northern Cyprus was/is very nice not too touristy! me and kids went out in 2005 met up with hubby (he was on UN duty). Plenty of nice eateries and culture a plenty.

Do not go to Gambia!

Benidorm is fab for cheap tacky holibob.....
Benidorm? That's exactly the thing I wish to avoid. Pavement pizzas and all day breakfasts I can enjoy in my local town centre.

I've never thought of Northern Cyprus before. Hmm.
 
#10
Mate, check out Bali or even better Lombok

Airfare aside you can live on 50 quid a day including hotel, food and lash.

Bali is more "touristy", Lombok is more "real".

Either way you will fly into Denpasar (Bali), and if you are really brave can then then take an internal flight to Mataram (Lombok). Personally I reccomend taking land transport and a ferry (providing you can swim).
 
#11
just returned from malta a couple of weeks ago, thoroughly enjoyed it,
the weather was spot on, the people were refrehingly nice and very curteous and helpful. cheap travel around the country on the old buses, works out to be less than a euro.
go to valetta for the duty history trip, loads of wartime stuff like the royal armouries, war museum and some stunning views from the fort overlooking the harbour. went to st johns cathedral aswell, not really into churches but this was were the knights of st john and all that jazz came from so was worth a visit.
if its beaches you're after there aren't that many but travel upto mellieha , north east of the island and theres some nice beaches there.
i was with the oc domestic duties and kids so nightlife was not on part 1's but the where we were in bugibba there was a vast amount of bars and restaurants that served good scoff and the local hooch is called cisk and goes down quite well and is only about 1.30 euros. loads of cafes around aswell. we stayed in accom so not sure about other options although i did check the other day and it was £234 b&b for the 4 of us to go back as i still have some potl to use up. let me know if you require anymore info mate. right im off to apply to the maltese tourism board for a job
 
#12
hong_kong_fuey said:
putteesinmyhands said:
Never been to Malta, but I've been to Morocco. I'd recommend Malta. :)
Bad times in Morocco, eh? I've heard it's one of those places you either love or hate.

offhand said:
Red Sea and get some good diving in
I've been to Egypt before, not to the Red Sea but Cairo, Aswan and Luxor. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I shat me pants in Pizza Hut in Tahrir Square and had to walk about a mile back to the hotel with sh1t stained shorts. I've heard that lots of fine horny Israeli women go to Dahab.

the_butler said:
Don't see what's wrong with Blackpool.
Being serious BTW.
Seriously Butler, you need to get out more. I was in Blackpool recently for work. Grim, very grim. Nearly as bad as Rhyl, but nowhere near as bad as Barry Island in Wales. By the way, how is your boot shining by post business going? Top idea.

bovvy said:
I went to Agadir in Morocco (and visited Marrakesh and the usual stuff) in 1982, 1984 and 1986 ....... and loved it. Wonderful sun, sea, sex, walking, climbing. And very cheap.

I went to Malta in 1993. Saw lots of churches. I would have thought it OK for a family holiday ...... but not sure if you're going as a singly. My daughter and her famly go to Malta often, because her partner is part Maltese and has family there.
For some reason I'm drawn to Malta. I agree, it may be a bit quiet for a singly. Agadir sounds nice, though it may have changed since the mid '80s.

Bootifull said:
Northern Cyprus was/is very nice not too touristy! me and kids went out in 2005 met up with hubby (he was on UN duty). Plenty of nice eateries and culture a plenty.

Do not go to Gambia!

Benidorm is fab for cheap tacky holibob.....
Benidorm? That's exactly the thing I wish to avoid. Pavement pizzas and all day breakfasts I can enjoy in my local town centre.

I've never thought of Northern Cyprus before. Hmm.
Ref my bold that is why I am not getting out much. :D
Recently came back from a week in Berlin but can't recommend it on a budget.
 
#13
amazing__lobster said:
A grand?! If you're not doing a package holiday, you could travel for months on that!

Ref cheap accommodation - try here: http://www.hostelbookers.com/
I think my hostel days are done. The idea of sharing a dorm with people I don't know appealed to me in my early twenties but not now.

Bandalong said:
Mate, check out Bali or even better Lombok

Airfare aside you can live on 50 quid a day including hotel, food and lash.

Bali is more "touristy", Lombok is more "real".

Either way you will fly into Denpasar (Bali), and if you are really brave can then then take an internal flight to Mataram (Lombok). Personally I reccomend taking land transport and a ferry (providing you can swim).
Last time I was in Asia was in the late 90s. I had no idea you could still live that cheaply considering the global inflation factors.

I know all about the state of the ferries, mate. I've got a pair of arm-bands somewhere in the loft. And I am aware of the state of the internal air travel market. Say, for Lombok, how long is the ferry journey?

u_didnt_c_me_i_wasnt_ther said:
just returned from malta a couple of weeks ago, thoroughly enjoyed it....let me know if you require anymore info mate. right im off to apply to the maltese tourism board for a job
Cheers mate, I'll PM you for info if I decide on Malta.

Cheers everyone, and Lombok is looking favourite, if it can still be done for under a grand.
 
#14
H-K-F, check your Pm's.
 
#15
travel your way through Italy if all you re taking in a backpack and stay in hostels- your 1000 will get you a long long way for 2 weeks doing that
 
#16
Why not try Madeira? Very few chavs, good weather, lots of good walking opportunities, good food, women, wine and entertainment in Funchal, good value accn outside the capital (although limited cuisine and fewer women), and cheap flights from Stansted.

Book your flight direct, book accn, transfers etc through a local travel agent (I have the name of a decent one that I've used many times before) and you should get a decent package for well under £500.

If you need any further detail then pse feel free to pm me.
 
#17
Say, for Lombok, how long is the ferry journey?
Its all a bit "Insh'Allah" mate, but plan on eight hours door to door. Not due to distance just typical Indo factor/weather etc...

There are some Tonto's around that will take you across on a fast boat but cost depends on how many pax they can get. Plan on five hours, but a bit pricey if on a budget, and to be honest not as much fun as mucking it on a ferry with the local lads.

Otherwise consider flying into Jakarta and jump on a train to Puncak/Bandung. Once you get out of the city its pretty cheap and the people you meet are well friendly.

Trains are very cheap or free if you dont mind sitting on the top of the carriages.
 
#18
Re Indonesia, I see via Google that all Indonesian airlines, including Garuda, were banned from EU airspace from 2007! That could make your airfare there a bit more pricey; Garuda used to cost less in business class than BA would screw you for cattle, making travel to and from very pleasant if you had to pay your own way. Pity the planes had a tendency to fall out of the sky, though.
 
#19
Bandalong said:
Say, for Lombok, how long is the ferry journey?
Its all a bit "Insh'Allah" mate, but plan on eight hours door to door. Not due to distance just typical Indo factor/weather etc...

Otherwise consider flying into Jakarta and jump on a train to Puncak/Bandung. Once you get out of the city its pretty cheap and the people you meet are well friendly.

Trains are very cheap or free if you dont mind sitting on the top of the carriages.
I'm sure I can find an old prayer mat somewhere in the loft. I've experienced the ferries in that part of the world before. If it's not un-seaworthiness, it's tropical storms or pirates. Still, it adds to the adventure.

Whiskybreath said:
Re Indonesia, I see via Google that all Indonesian airlines, including Garuda, were banned from EU airspace from 2007! That could make your airfare there a bit more pricey; Garuda used to cost less in business class than BA would screw you for cattle, making travel to and from very pleasant if you had to pay your own way. Pity the planes had a tendency to fall out of the sky, though.
I went to the Philippines in 1997 to work for a couple of months, and the entire internal air fleet was grounded after I'd reached the island of Mindanao. I was stuck on Mindanao for a couple of weeks trying to get the hell out of there, with no planes available, and with ferries sinking every other day. Still, I got to watch the helicopter gunships flying overhead every night to the mountains to blitz the Islamic separatists a few kilometres further north on the Island. Advice: don't go to Mindanao, though I've heard Cebu is nice.
 
#20
Has to be Malta the place is stunning especially Valetta,dunno what its like price wise now with the euro but was cheap when we was there 3 year ago.
Just back from Benidorm yesterday much cheapness £296.00 4 STAR full board Gran Hotel Bali,book through Easyjet holidays and book the hotelhoppa bus to get you to hotel works oot 20squid each for the transfer to hotel,brilliant.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads