Holiday Destinations you really dont want to share but....!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by RearWords, Apr 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok so I make it my business to go the extra mile when picking my holiday destination. I see it as an achievement if I spend a week (or two) somewhere I don't have to listen to english being spoken. Up to now I've jealously guarded my black book of names, but I'm feeling there anyone else out there who wants to join me in spilling the beans on places they've visited and LOVED for being off the beaten track?

San Vito Lo Capo - Sicily, Italy.

Collioure - Languedoc Roussillon, France

San Jose - Almeria, Spain

I've started with three - over to you! :D :)
  2. Must be a while since you went to San Jose in Almeria as it is now inundated with Brits due to some heavy building over the last few years.
    Places off the beaten track
    Roatan Island, Honduras. Best to fly there by island hopper as the road from Tegucigalpa is a bit hairy (potholed and bandit country) but the island is a great getaway when you get there.
    Also Costa Rica. Down to Manuel Antonio National Park to get away from the Americans and Germans. San Jose is full of them. Recommend the Si como No hotel as it is the only one in the area with hot water. Great fun on a huge beach with no-one else there watching the monkeys swinging through the trees and the Scarlet Macaws hopping across the outside bar being fed nuts by the barman.
    Closer to home, the Amalfi coast of Italy has some great hideaways and secluded coves.
  3. Yes it was, I seem to remember it was early June aswell. Mostly inhabited by weekenders from Madrid. Thanks for the update - shame - I might have to scratch it from my black book.
  4. Kanchanaburi, North of Bangkok. Site of the River Kwai Bridge, but also a stunning area with lots to see. The train ride from BK takes about 2 hrs, a fascinating experience if you've never travelled in SE Asia before. Not to far from the Burmese border if you fancy nipping over for shufti.

Stayed at a small resort camp owned and run by a Dutch/Thai and his Dutch wife. Highly recommend it
  5. samm1551

samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Alghero - Sardinia
    Kerry - S.Ireland (Before I was married to Mr Samm1551)
    Moutier D'Ahun - France
  6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

There is a beautiful, understated and very private resort in Mallorca. Undiscovered, relaxing and very peaceful, with magnificent beaches, superb resteraunts which can surprise you with their subtle and exotic culinary delights. Small and very authentic local bars, where the finest wines can be had very cheaply. It's hard to find, but if you search for a local who knows the area they may take you there, under a vow of secrecy. It's called Magaluf.
  7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Friendly Greeks and not as expensive as the rest of Kos and great beaches a couple of cliks up the coast.
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Prachuap Khiri Khan in Thailand. Just north of Pattaya. Wonderful beach, cheap and clean local hotels and no tourists. It's where Thais go for holidays, and does welcome Brits, especially if they are moderate and well-behaved. Watch out for a 'hotel' on right as you go along from beach. It has wooden huts on stilts, and is rather like being in 'Tenko'. Not my favourite place, there are nicer there.
  9. Heron Island on the barrier reef, great waters and no riff raff
    Diego Garcia, water is clearest I've ever seen and if you get into the off-limits areas (accessible under license) you really are in unspoilt paradise.
  10. Kos is great, just dont go to Kardamena!
  11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Couldn't agree more, back to Kamarie Bay a week Saturday.
  12. Platamonas/Larissa on mainland Greece
    Miles and miles of beeches etc and in the middle between Athens and Thessaloniki and the Olympus range is just up the road along with all reachable sites
    Absolutely stunning area
  13. i have to agree with thailand, did kanchanuburi as a day trip, one of the best days out i've ever had alos did elephant trekking out of a place (name escapes me) not too far from pattaya.
    for me though it has to be penang in malaysia, beautiful island, friendly locals, lovely beaches and very cheap to boot.
  14. WOW!! I wish I had your mapreading skills :p Prachuap Kirikan is a province on Southern thai coast while pattaya is on the eastern thai coast, prachuap province has some nice beaches but is being built up rapidly, someof the best golf courses in thailand are situated in the the Cha am and Hua hin area, pretty goodnightlife and Bars but not as seedy as Pattaya. Some one else mentioned Kanchanaburi a really nice rural area on the kwai river and burmese border, travel north of kanchanburi, to Sai Yok or Mae Noi there are some beautiful riverside resorts in this area, great areas for families no bargirls or drunks, take the to the tiger temple near Nam Tok noi , take a full grown tiger for a walk or play with cubs, the temple is a popular tourist attraction these days , be prepared for crowds, By the way I,m not a thai travel agent 8) used to live there and we still try to get back for at 4 months every year :wink:
  15. Punta Del Esta - Uruguay

Uruguay has some really nice resorts, lovely beaches, good for exploring.
    Not too much English spoken and hardly any Brit 'tourists'.

Also a great platform to invade the Argies should the need arise ha ha.