Holiday advice

Hello chaps,

I'm in need of the expertise of the Arrse community once more.

I'm looking at taking my partner abroad In April, she's never been abroad and I've never aranged my own holiday before.

I want to take her somewhere cultural with some excellent sights to see that can fit into the following criterea.

- A £1500 spending budget - incl. spending money.

- I can't drive, neither can she so somewhere where public/tourist transport isn't a drama and you can still get a good holiday without having access to a car.

- Not too fussed on weather, hot or cold, rain or snow.

- It'll be the back end of April we'd be going.

Can any esteemed Arrsers give me any suggestions on where to go?

Regards,

W-60

P

PrinceAlbert

Prague, Turkey, Poland (Warsaw is lovely) are all cheap, and you'd get a great hotel for the budget.

Budapest is also recommended!

telford

Why limit yourself to 1500? that's a good baseline but if you want to enjoy yourself and have to constantly look at the bottom line let me tell you, she will drop you faster than you can blink.

Don't let on to her you are watching your pennies .... but she will be able to tell by your behaviour anyway.

If she's like you then bon chance!

If you are romantic then France and Italy for sure. And avoid pricing everything.

But since you seem to be a skinflint do Germany or Austria or Switzerland. And don't forget your calculator.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Berlin and Paris are both very interesting and have very good public transport as well as plenty to do and see, eat and drink.
Jersey, Guernsey or other channel islands have lots of history and lots of good food, and a wide range of accommodation and restaurants. They're small, so a taxi or bus trip will never be very long.
Normandy, Brittany, and the Loire Valley all have their good points, although you may be better off with your own transport.
Or you could follow the trend and stay in the UK - plenty of lovely towns and cities, history and beautiful countryside!

Nice, Côte d'Azur, been there last 6 years, cheapish flights and 4 euros on the bus to the city centre. Loads of hotels/apartments to choose from and plenty of places to eat.

Paris. No question.
Brilliant metro.
Wonderful things to do and see.
Great food and drink.
Romantic.
Fantastic all year round.
Don't have to spend too much on the travel so you have more money when you are there.
Don't have to do hotels... B+Bs can be just as charming eg:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...3289-La_Guriniere-Malakoff_Ile_de_France.html
(Tripadvisor also very good for researching accommodation anywhere as it has independent traveller reviews.)
Sorted.

Mighty_doh_nut said:
I've been, the locals have webbed feet and kiss their cousins.

Thanks for the input all, I'm thinking Paris maybe for 4 nights. I can't actually speak French but I'm excellent at drawing...

I wouldn't mind seeing the Eiffel Tower, anything else that I should also see whilst there?

Whiskey_60 said:
Mighty_doh_nut said:

Thanks for the input all, I'm thinking Paris maybe for 4 nights. I can't actually speak French but I'm excellent at drawing...

I wouldn't mind seeing the Eiffel Tower, anything else that I should also see whilst there?
There are some spiffing clubs in Montmartre.

Edited for spelling once, should read spaffing

ImNotaWitch said:
Why limit yourself to 1500?
Why ever limit how much you spend? Next time you buy a newspaper, slip the shopkeeper a £200 tip, wtf, its only money. :roll:

Oh yes, Bruges is good for a short break, but you won't go far wrong with Paris.

lesvos (lesbos) greece,
good cultutre, restaurants and history
also home of the lesbian

www.lesvosisland.com

Sacre Coeur
Artist's Square: Place du Tetre
Notre Dame
Louvre
Take the Bateau Mouche on the Seine.... lunch or dinner on the river.
Champs Elysees at night and in the day
Arc de Triomphe
Montmartre
Pont de l'Alma
Pompidou Centre
Walking tour of the Marais District (old Paris)
Musee D'Orsay
Paris bus tour....good way of getting a 'sense of place'
I daren't say shopping!!!
Get a good guide book and make it up as you go along. Have a wonderful time.

Amsterdam is not too bad for a weekend break. Plenty of cheep flights from UK.

Whiskey_60 said:
Hello chaps,

I'm in need of the expertise of the Arrse community once more.

I'm looking at taking my partner abroad In April, she's never been abroad and I've never aranged my own holiday before.

I want to take her somewhere cultural with some excellent sights to see that can fit into the following criterea.

- A £1500 spending budget - incl. spending money.

- I can't drive, neither can she so somewhere where public/tourist transport isn't a drama and you can still get a good holiday without having access to a car.

- Not too fussed on weather, hot or cold, rain or snow.

- It'll be the back end of April we'd be going.

Can any esteemed Arrsers give me any suggestions on where to go?

Regards,

W-60

There's some good all inclusives on the link below, basicaly everything is laid on, food, drink and what not all in the price, book it all online too! piss easy:

http://www.directline-holidays.co.uk/

If you want super bargains go here: http://www.cheapholidaydeals.co.uk/ and click on ate deals.

Be acreful of Paris I took my Doris there for a weekend and nine moths later I was a father.

Whiskey_60 said:
Mighty_doh_nut said:

If your planning on going to Paris, make sure you stay in the centre on paris, the further out you get, the rougher it gets, I have been mugged in broad daylight, frigging ridiculous.

PrinceAlbert said:
Prague, Turkey, Poland (Warsaw is lovely) are all cheap, and you'd get a great hotel for the budget.

Budapest is also recommended!
Agreed - Prague is fantastic and fairly accessible at this time of the year.

Istanbul is also a great place to go...

This is a good site....http://www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk/
Reviews of holidaymakers of just about anywhere packages go to from UK with Thomas Cook.
It sounds like you want somewhere "easy", the last holidays we had were in Side in Turkey, excellent.
We got a really cheap deal in the Club Voyage Sorgun, an all inclusive set in a forest beside a sandy beach.
Good rooms,(4 *) great food.
10 mins on a minibus got you to the old town, built among the ruins of an important Greek trading post, you can walk along streets with ruts worn by chariots.
10 minutes in the other direction is Manavgat, a fair size town, but not tourist oriented, great to wander along the river, and in the back streets.
The Turks are very clued up, the airport is air- con, everything is clean, the food is good.
Shopkeepers can be a pain, but that's the way they are, if you laugh along with them, it's OK.