"Holes give edge to new MoD armour"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Silent_Scope, Jan 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7811567.stm

"Scientists from the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) have devised an ultra-hard vehicle armour to protect military personnel."

"I wouldn't like to have been the first person to have suggested that," said Professor Brown, from the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL) at Porton Down in Wiltshire.

He explained: "You shouldn't think of them as holes, you should think of them as edges...

Couldn't find it already mentioned and it looked of interest I thought.

2. Just how big are those holes,sorry,I mean edges?

3. You just know some poor bugger going to get one through those holes, edges!

4. At a rough guess, a little bit less than half an inch.

While the economic production of Bainite is new, perforated armour dates back to when the Germans were having trouble with Russian 14.5mm anti-tank rifles. The chance of hitting a hole square-on or the metal between the holes evenly is remote in the extreme, so the projectile will tumble and hit any subsequent armour side on, which will drastically reduce the effectiveness of the projectile.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Still makes a good headline, "Holes in MoD procurement of armour!"

6. Searching through the Porton Down website I managed to find pictures of the early prototype 'next gen' body armour...

Attached Files:

7. Does this mean i can start drilling the plates of my body armour!?

8. Forgive my ignorance but isn't that just a "posh" bit of chainmail?

9. Fabulous. Going into battle in giant cheese graters.

10. "But the process, developed by DSTL scientists in collaboration with steelmaker Corus, allows the alloy to be produced quickly and cost effectively. "

There's the motivation.

11. The finest example of British Army madness, gentlemen I give you our new armour, it has holes!

12. So... it's spaced laminate with holes? Does it provide protection from HEAT as well or only kinetic penetrators? Long as it passes testing and increases survivability why not?

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If its light enough it can be an add on not a replacement!

14. Fecked when it rains though.

15. The holey bit (or should that be the edgy bit) is a disrupter plate. With suitable stand-off it will reduce the effectiveness of shaped charge jets, but no more than, say, slat or plain sheet. the key area of effectiveness is against conventional KE (projectiles at less than 1.5 km/s with a relatively low L/D ratio) of a similar size to the hole and thickness of the plate.