Holding the Police to Account

What with the failures of the police to act recently, and the events that have snowballed from that, it got me thinking:
Is there anyway to hold the police management to account?

Over the last 12 months we've got the current mess, but we also had XR, especially in Cambridge, where the police management did all they could to avoid upholding the law. It got to the point where one might have suspected that one of the senior officers family members was down on the XR encampment. For those of you who missed it, a group of XR types in Cambridge started doing pop-up routines where they'd block a road for 90 minutes, usually at rush hour. Then they decided that enough was enough and blocked one of the major thoroughfares, and set up a camp for a week, even preventing emergency vehicles from passing.

The police response was to help them out by closing even more roads.

The police management was asked several times if they were going to do anything, each time they used every quasi-legal response they could imagine and wiggled as much as possible to get off the hook.

In the last week we've seen the failures around statues and war memorials. Now the initial problem in London, was quite possibly down to the cut and thrust of the situation on the ground, and it at least one case there was some shove back from the police. I'm pretty sure most of us are fine with that. However, the general lack of resolution seems to have let the situation spiral out of control.
Part of the problem, is that a lot of the public feel somewhat angry, and the police sit there and do not seem to want to respond. This leads to the counter demonstrations that are beginning to gather pace. All from a lack of effort from the police management.

So is there anyway in which these individuals can be held accountable, by law or other means? There used to be the incentive that Police were responsible for damages caused during disorder, and this would hit them in their budget. However, I believe this was deleted in 2016, likely due to the shoeing the police budget took from the 2011 events.

@old_fat_and_hairy

These events, as in America, are happening in parts of the country controlled and run by the left. So I don't give a toss. They can trash their own environment as much as they like. They have to live with the consequences
There's an awful lot of people who are going to find out that it's difficult to live in an area where the people who run businesses that they rely on think, **** it and move out.
This is already happening in the states to a much larger degree than here, but it's coming.

What with the failures of the police to act recently, and the events that have snowballed from that, it got me thinking:

Over the last 12 months we've got the current mess, but we also had XR, especially in Cambridge, where the police management did all they could to avoid upholding the law. It got to the point where one might have suspected that one of the senior officers family members was down on the XR encampment. For those of you who missed it, a group of XR types in Cambridge started doing pop-up routines where they'd block a road for 90 minutes, usually at rush hour. Then they decided that enough was enough and blocked one of the major thoroughfares, and set up a camp for a week, even preventing emergency vehicles from passing.

The police management was asked several times if they were going to do anything, each time they used every quasi-legal response they could imagine and wiggled as much as possible to get off the hook.

In the last week we've seen the failures around statues and war memorials. Now the initial problem in London, was quite possibly down to the cut and thrust of the situation on the ground, and it at least one case there was some shove back from the police. I'm pretty sure most of us are fine with that. However, the general lack of resolution seems to have let the situation spiral out of control.
Part of the problem, is that a lot of the public feel somewhat angry, and the police sit there and do not seem to want to respond. This leads to the counter demonstrations that are beginning to gather pace. All from a lack of effort from the police management.

So is there anyway in which these individuals can be held accountable, by law or other means? There used to be the incentive that Police were responsible for damages caused during disorder, and this would hit them in their budget. However, I believe this was deleted in 2016, likely due to the shoeing the police budget took from the 2011 events.

@old_fat_and_hairy
You could always complain to the police and crime commissioners.

Vote for people who allow the police to use the type of tactics you seem to want, instead of people who have told them that they can't.

still staggin

War Hero
In the 90's the police encouraged people with different backgrounds from that which they had previously recruited, ie predominantly working class and ex services to join the police ( service ) . This weakened the fabric somewhat, anyway these newer type of recruit are now senior officers with their own social liberal agenda and are failing the public miserably.
Ex services were no longer really wanted and the system of recruitment training was changed drastically, basically to save money and make it virtually impossible to join if you were a serviceman.
All that is needed to be a copper is a decent standard of written English and common sense,.
Policing and the ability to carry it out can be summed with up this simple phrase; common sense applied with a light touch.

Last edited:

Oops

War Hero
All that is needed to be a copper is a decent standard of written English and common sense,.
Policing and the ability to carry it out can be summed with this simple phrase; common sense applied with a light touch.
[/QUOTE]
Whilst not disagreeing with your sentiments in the least, I fear you may be a bit out of sync. with the recent products of some Constabularies passing out parades.
I know you work alongside rather than up against em, you wouldn't get me to do your job for all the tea in China, you have my total respect,
but IT HAS TO BE EARNED...

A mate who advanced to become an Instructor at a Force College of these parts a few years ago predicted the mess we're in to the letter.
He's retired early and buggered off abroad.
Nuff said.

@old_fat_and_hairy
Having watched footage of officers, some of them quite senior ones, taking a knee to show solidarity with the "protesters" they've done worse than nothing.

still staggin

War Hero
Policing and the ability to carry it out can be summed with this simple phrase; common sense applied with a light touch.
Whilst not disagreeing with your sentiments in the least, I fear you may be a bit out of sync. with the recent products of some Constabularies passing out parades.
I know you work alongside rather than up against em, you wouldn't get me to do your job for all the tea in China, you have my total respect,

A mate who advanced to become an Instructor at a Force College of these parts a few years ago predicted the mess we're in to the letter.
Nuff said.
[/QUOTE]
I retired a few years ago now and like a lot of blokes do i left London to get on with it, I now live in England.

Last edited:

Bob Upndown

War Hero
Daughter of one of 0A's acquaintances:
22 years old
5ft 1''
8.5 stone wringing wet
Went to Uni, scraped a degree in Criminology
Alienated all those she shared a house with, repeatedly being told to leave accommodation due to behaviour
The only person I know who left Uni with no friends
Has no friends at all
Lost her virginity to the pizza delivery boy (shagged him, chucked him out, microwaved the pizza)
Has never had a steady boyfriend
Uses Tinder to access one night stand sex, doesn't want any commitment
Has no presence or discernible people skills

And where has she found her berth in life?

Yup, the Met.

A photo arrived recently on 0A's FB feed of her in the full kit. She looked utterly ridiculous, the belt kit looked like it was made for someone twice her size plus her penchant for trowelling on the slap makes her look like a five dollar hooker in a Baghdad brothel.

As far as she's concerned, the quicker she's Taser trained the better as she then won't have to actually deal with a situation, she'll simply go straight to Tazer.

And that, my friends, is a fair example of the calibre of the candidates that are being on-boarded to the illustrious Metropolitan Police (insert other forces services). We are truly fcuked...

still staggin

War Hero
They will take any female or ethnic type, the shorter the better, it used to be a reasonable achievement to get into the job, not anymore.
They will take almost anyone who walks through the door, preferably with a limp and an alternative lifestyle / homelife.

endure

GCM

So he's become an immigrant ;-)

You could always complain to the police and crime commissioners.
Hopefully that was written tongue firmly in cheek......they .....the police and crime Commissioners....and the career never walked the streets hierarchy that are so badly letting down the Men & Women on the thin blue front line are the problem .....
We unfortunately have where I live a female police and crime commissioner who cares more about her publicity than policing ...she is universally disliked by the front line police

HE117

LE
Daughter of one of 0A's acquaintances:
22 years old
5ft 1''
8.5 stone wringing wet
Went to Uni, scraped a degree in Criminology
Alienated all those she shared a house with, repeatedly being told to leave accommodation due to behaviour
The only person I know who left Uni with no friends
Oh yes.. and as a University Lecturer I was basically forbidden to write any reference which made any sort of recommendation that someone was not IMHO suitable for a particular role or position. I refused to give any open ended references and would only respond to requests from prospective employers with a description of the proposed post. Latterly I refused to give any references as frankly they were not worth the paper they were written on.

The result is of course a two edged sword wielded by the student.. they have no compunction to conform to the requirements of the education system, in particularly the need to acquire and demonstrate knowledge and ability, and that they can demand access to roles and responsibilities for which they have no ability or acumen..

The long term outcomes are there for all to see.. individuals who are places in positions of authority that they have no ability to deal with, and a society with no ability to control those which they need to wield authority.. "it's all bollix"!

Oh yes.. and as a University Lecturer I was basically forbidden to write any reference which made any sort of recommendation that someone was not IMHO suitable for a particular role or position. I refused to give any open ended references and would only respond to requests from prospective employers with a description of the proposed post. Latterly I refused to give any references as frankly they were not worth the paper they were written on.

The result is of course a two edged sword wielded by the student.. they have no compunction to conform to the requirements of the education system, in particularly the need to acquire and demonstrate knowledge and ability, and that they can demand access to roles and responsibilities for which they have no ability or acumen..

The long term outcomes are there for all to see.. individuals who are places in positions of authority that they have no ability to deal with, and a society with no ability to control those which they need to wield authority.. "it's all bollix"!
The reference things been like that in a lot of places for years. I'm not allowed to give a "bad" reference, regardless if I think the individual concerned is a useless twat or not. I've recently taken the same approach as yourself and declined to give references.

Oops

War Hero
;)

Nuff said.
I retired a few years ago now and like a lot of blokes do i left London to get on with it, I know live in England.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for your service =D.
The crucial phrase you wrote was
'Common sense'....
It's been displaced by
'University degree' and similar sh*te nowadays...

Mate got 'twitchy' when the word came from above a certain recruit. 'had' to attain the pass mark required...
Said Training College already had three different pass grades for their shared Forces...
He wasn't capable for any , nevermind the one he was destined for, which was deemed to have the highest barrier to inclusion.
My mate was from said force. Indeed he was Divisional Commander from said chaps home town....
It became quite popular in the news agenda a few years later re. Young White girls n stuff....
That was the straw.......

Having watched footage of officers, some of them quite senior ones, taking a knee to show solidarity with the "protesters" they've done worse than nothing.
'Taking the knee!' I want a categorical assurance, live on Question Time, that the British Police will never shoot babies.

still staggin

War Hero
Having to live in the metropolitan police district for one, no good if you are abroad or anywhere else the MoD wanted you.
And there being no trng. school anymore you had to live at home while you studied and attend a centre to take the monthly or whatever exams

Having to live in the metropolitan police district for one, no good if you are abroad or anywhere else the MoD wanted you.
That's interesting. I applied for a number of jobs with residential requirements (including several with regional police forces as a civilian) and they were happy to process an application OOA once I explained my circumstances to the recruitment team..

still staggin

War Hero
That's interesting. I applied for a number of jobs with residential requirements (including several with regional police forces as a civilian) and they were happy to process an application OOA once I explained my circumstances to the recruitment team..
The met had to get rid of the massive trng school at Hendon it was costing a fortune, plus most of the properties they owned so residential trng went out of the window, the live in London requirement was to keep out white ( male preferably ) recruits.

Latest Threads