Holding an Irish passport alongside UK / Dual nationality, how will I benefit?

My passport has expired and I'm considering an Irish one because of Brexit.

If it fills a few years until I can get a proper blue British passport I'll be happy.

Waz

Old-Salt
It might be of some use after Brexit, who knows?

The advantage of having 2 passports is if you time them 5 years apart, when one has run out or is due to run out, you still have 5 years left on the other.

And you'll be eligible to play for the Irish Rugby team.

Why do you need two passports?

To be sure, to be sure......

;-)
More the better. It's a game.

For me, I was going to (well..still am...no point not to after all this time) go for the Brit passport as it would've given me the right to live/work/move anywhere in Europe without visa/paperwork hassles. Thanks Cameron/ Brexit for putting a spanner in those plans...who knows something viable might still come out of the deal.

Population of Ireland, 5-ish Million. Number of persons actually qualifying for an Irish passport, upwards of 54 Million. Lets hope they don't have to go home to register, eh? :cool:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Always had the choice of one or the other. It’ll be fun working out who the recent ones in the line is.

The great thing is returning to England on an Irish passport. No amount of complaining ‘but I’m English, I voted for brexit’, will get you past the contemptuous look of the passport punchers.

As they watch the flood of foreign passport holders return to our shores, all they can do is sit and wonder where it all went wrong.

You can’t win.

As long as you can show they were born in the emerald isle its all good, if they weren't your out of luck.

If your parent had Irish citizenship at the time of your birth your also covered.

"An application for Irish citizenship through Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) can be submitted by any person with a grandparent born in any part of Ireland or by any person whose parent received Irish citizenship prior to the birth of the applicant."

Certainly nothing to be sniffed at

You’re still a Plastic Paddy Gupta

Always had the choice of one or the other. It’ll be fun working out who the recent ones in the line is.

The great thing is returning to England on an Irish passport. No amount of complaining ‘but I’m English, I voted for brexit’, will get you past the contemptuous look of the passport punchers.

As they watch the flood of foreign passport holders return to our shores, all they can do is sit and wonder where it all went wrong.

You can’t win.
You'll find Irish citizens qualify for most benefits which even other EU states don't... via a bilaterial agreement.

Irish citizens are basically treated the same as us.

Including when it comes to state benefits, means testing benefits like ESA, PIPS etc

Am I to assume there is no quid pro quo in Ireland?
No, you're not. My nephew moved to Ireland a few years ago and he is now on unemployment benefit. He is on a slightly higher rate as he does a few hours comunity service - painting, mending fences etc - per week.

Grovelling for a paddy passport will give you this fine young fellows credibility in business and romantic liasons.

Well, for a start, it will get you a better class of welcome from any French or German official at a port of entry, such as an airfield. I have flown in and out of France and other parts with fellow pilots and the Irish invariably get a better reception than the British. We landed in Le Touquet once and were waved to the front of the queue and allowed to get away first, much to the dismay of the long, long queue of British pilots and their passengers. My friend had seen the queue forming earlier, found the airfield manager at lunch, made sure his glass was topped up and we sailed through what could have been an ordeal. Any time he landed to clear customs and refuel there after, he was treated like a king......

Latest Threads