Holding an Irish passport alongside UK / Dual nationality, how will I benefit?

Score is my mother was holding Irish citizenship at the time of my birth through naturalisation and I can apply for citizenship by applying to the Foreign Birth Registry to be registered and when the certificate comes back I can apply for an Irish passport.

Cost? 275 Euros, sh*t load of paperwork including sending in her original FBR certificate (she was born Mumbai in India), etc etc lalala,

Now after 4 months I've had an acknowledgement and they require a verified copy of her birth certificate and civil marriage certificate,

So when I do get the paddy passport, how will it exactly benefit be after Brexit?

Another note is that their has been a surge in the applications for Irish citizenship in the wake of Brexit

Score is my mother was holding Irish citizenship at the time of my birth through naturalisation and I can apply for citizenship by applying to the Foreign Birth Registry to be registered and when the certificate comes back I can apply for an Irish passport.

Cost? 275 Euros, sh*t load of paperwork including sending in her original FBR certificate (she was born Mumbai in India), etc etc lalala,

Now after 4 months I've had an acknowledgement and they require a verified copy of her birth certificate and civil marriage certificate,

So when I do get the paddy passport, how will it exactly benefit be after Brexit?

Another note is that their has been a surge in the applications for Irish citizenship in the wake of Brexit
You can drink Guiness without feeling guilty.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When you go to Costa De Sol on holiday you won't need a visa

Was a bit of a saga but I got mine earlier this year. No idea how it will actually help post-March, but it can’t hurt.

My application went through without a hitch. My cousin however, who is using exactly the same set of supporting documents (birth/marriage certificates etc etc) is having no end of trouble. Perhaps as it’s getting busier they’re getting fussier.

Last edited:
I have had one for decades as born in NI and I figured you can’t have too much ID. Also really gripped the interviewing officer during DV interviews, which I enjoyed.

Main bonus now is that when my holiday flight is hijacked, I can point to my English wife and say: ‘I’m Irish, she’s English - kill her first!’

My wife I got ours recently. We do a lot of travelling and it will cut down on the amount of queuing when going through passport control in Europe after Brexit. Purely coincidentally, we’ve noticed that border staff are also more friendly as well. Who knew?

I have had one for decades as born in NI and I figured you can’t have too much ID. Also really gripped the interviewing officer during DV interviews, which I enjoyed.

Main bonus now is that when my holiday flight is hijacked, I can point to my English wife and say: ‘I’m Irish, she’s English - kill her first!
Invaluable...you're welcome.

The cost of getting UK citizenship is considerably more expensive and time consuming.

You'll be part of the greatest bestest country on Dagda's green Earth....you'll also still be a brit....so give and take.

You can enjoy watching Ireland win the World Cup next year...

You can virtue signal on Facebook about how dreadful Brexit is, and by the way I'm applying for an Irish passport

Seen it with Facebook friends in London, trying to look smug

I was trying as well but it turns out it was my great , great Grandfather that went to London and removed the 0’ from his surname as those English bastards do not like the Micks.

I have Irish grandparents and I'm seriously considering it for business reasons. Like it or not, the EU is a big market and it would be plain daft not to take advantage of it.

I have Irish grandparents and I'm seriously considering it for business reasons. Like it or not, the EU is a big market and it would be plain daft not to take advantage of it.
As long as you can show they were born in the emerald isle its all good, if they weren't your out of luck.

If your parent had Irish citizenship at the time of your birth your also covered.

"An application for Irish citizenship through Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) can be submitted by any person with a grandparent born in any part of Ireland or by any person whose parent received Irish citizenship prior to the birth of the applicant."

Certainly nothing to be sniffed at

My main residence is in Spain and my employer is Spanish so for me it´s vital. I got mine about ten years ago when I was traveling a lot to Iraq, Sudan and Afghanistan as a civvy - it made me feel much safer.