Holdfast Advice Needed - Ground Anchors

WonDERR

Clanker
For years, i used to carry a "proper" RE plate, 8 pins, and a sledge hammer, along with a T35 tirfor. I never needed to use them. Not once.

Have space (in a bergen or vehicle) and fill it with unnecessary just in case kit! What winch do you have? do you have a rear winch as well as front winch - is it easier to get out the way you went in rather than to go further forward?

12345dave

Clanker
To be fair, we always try to keep to the more remote bits, where the farms are few & far between! Most of the farmers are ok if you can show that you know where you can and can't go.

12345dave

Clanker
Have space (in a bergen or vehicle) and fill it with unnecessary just in case kit! What winch do you have? do you have a rear winch as well as front winch - is it easier to get out the way you went in rather than to go further forward?

The winch I use is a TDS Goldfish (yes, honestly) from this place:
http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/

bumper 1.jpg

With a home made bumper. The Landcruiser weighs a good 3 tons, and it always pulls it!

Don't have a rear mounted bumper... we always send a victim volunteer in first and keep well back so a second vehicle can winch or pull them out.

12345dave

Clanker
To be honest, we try to not get that badly bogged in. The recovery vehicle usually holds itself on the footbrake, or with the aid of a third vehicle behind that one.

If conditions are that bad, we don't carry on along the route. We reverse out or turn around. I'm not into churning up the countryside or upsetting the farmers who rely on the green lanes for their livelihood.

Related question......
Where can I get hold of 4 of the longer, eyed holdfasts. I need to secure the end plates of a small bridge recently built over a culvert.

Cheers
Nidd

Those pins aren't Scaley kit that I've ever seen. The closest to that would be the small pins (about 12") that stop the baseplate of a Clark PU12 from moving. They don't really take much load, the guy ropes do that. The pegs for the guys are considerably more substantial.

See the below photo, which I found on the net. Bizarrely, it's the wrong mast for that kit - a Clark kit with a Racal mast. Anyhoo, the guy pins can be seen on the left, and the two small pins to stop the baseplate from shifting are below them. You can just about make out the holes on the baseplate that the pins go through.

540x360.jpg

Anyone know where you can get hold of the clark mast guy pegs/stakes - ive got two and desperately need a third!! Need the style above that the guy clips into

WonDERR

Clanker
Anyone know where you can get hold of the clark mast guy pegs/stakes - ive got two and desperately need a third!! Need the style above that the guy clips into

try ebay, (GI Joe shop often has this type of kit) , thexmod has some scaley stuff.

Thanks for the advice, but given what I actually do, realistically i think the worst case scenario you describe is very unlikely - you're right, the wire is too short. What really intrigues me though, is that the tirfor tu16 or t516 (both 1.6T) is the winch that many of the land rover off-road trouble-seeking enthusiasts seem to have (unless they rely on electric winches).
I just received my tu16 today. The 1600kg spec is for lifting. As stated in the manual the max travel (pulling) load is 2400kg.
So a triple line pull will be sufficient in the worse case situation. I have a 100ft synthetic winch cable extension to augment the wire rope that came with the winch.