Hold off on the Tar and Feathers

Should the Americans hold off on the tars and feather for the High School Cop?

• Yes

Votes: 49 45.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • I like Egg Banjos

Votes: 51 47.2%

• Total voters
Really?
An armed guard, put there to protect the school, trained in what his response should be, hides behind a pillar.

Sounds fairly comparable to me, especially when Stacker1 insists on bringing military tactics and behavior into a purely civie police scenario.
1 involves a bloke with a rifle, shouting “stand too”, returning fire from his defended position into pre arranged arcs with supporting fire from other stag locations. Within a short period of time, his/her colleagues snap into action and go through much rehearsed drills with Platoon support weapons to assist.

Do I need to go on?

Steve
Entirely correct and almost verbatim what we were told/trained regarding active shooters.
This. I worked for the Smithsonian OPS in Washington D.C. and we constantly drilled for active shooter scenarios in the museums and other buildings. Obviously there’s no predicting what you’d do until it happens but our responses were to be aggressive and immediate. If I was on my own (happened a lot on nights as Sergeant) I’d like to think I’d do something...right after I soiled myself. As one instructor put it “ The more they shoot at you, the less ammo they have for the kids on a school trip.”

Whats the useful range of a Handgun compared to an automatic rifle ?
that might be one major handicap
getting near enough
Not a major factor in a building like a school. The odd long corridor

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
My Father always kept me away from Fire arms
as an armourer with Southern Command he had plenty of experience of the things
and as a youth I was an idiot with anything mechanical ( still am)

Really?
An armed guard, put there to protect the school, trained in what his response should be, hides behind a pillar.

Sounds fairly comparable to me, especially when Stacker1 insists on bringing military tactics and behavior into a purely civie police scenario.
You clearly know **** all about the military if you think the average military sentry in the UK knows what to do if he hears gun fire in building.

You tell me.
Put a soldier on guard. Make sure he knows his duties of a sentry.
Next morning the whole section is dead because your sentry hid in a ditch when he saw the enemy.

Time for tea and medals in Stacker world?
Have you ever done a duty? What are the actions on if you hear gunfire in the block?

I'm not saying its right or wrong, but it easy to say what should have happened when people are not the lone lightly armed (Possibly minimum trained in the scenario) bloke listening to some semi automatic firepower from an unseen assailant.
I wasn't talking about the school scenario specifically but as a general SOP.

Imagine a burglar, who's got hold of your kid and is threatening him with a knife. He supposedly has power over you and can carry on and do whatever he likes if you're passive in hoping to save the child. If you attack however, he doesn't think about his threat to the kid but transfers his focus to you, in order to defend himself. As I understand it, it's the idea behind the way SF attempts hostage rescue, which is where I think I read about it.

I don't pretend to know whether it's applicable to all scenarios and implied no criticism of the cop in the case we're talking about.

I wasn't talking about the school scenario specifically but as a general SOP.

Imagine a burglar, who's got hold of your kid and is threatening him with a knife. He supposedly has power over you and can carry on and do whatever he likes if you're passive in hoping to save the child. If you attack however, he doesn't think about his threat to the kid but transfers his focus to you, in order to defend himself. As I understand it, it's the idea behind the way SF attempts hostage rescue, which is where I think I read about it.

I don't pretend to know whether it's applicable to all scenarios and implied no criticism of the cop in the case we're talking about.
Or your kid could end up with their throat cut.

I'm laughing there then I have spares...
You won't find it quite so funny when you see the price they charge to get blood out of your carpets

You won't find it quite so funny when you see the price they charge to get blood out of your carpets
Dark colours are key here

Or your kid could end up with their throat cut.
And that's the threat that keeps someone compliant while the baddy goes on to rape the wife and daughter.

I didn't invent the scenario, I read it in a book written by somebody who was supposed to know about these things.

I'm not going to argue the point as I have no expertise, I just mentioned it as a recommended thing by someone. It appears that others have heard the same thing.

I've no idea if it actually works but it sounds reasonable.

We've heard about teachers protecting kids at school before, seems to me that the idea of attacking rather than passive protection has some merit.

And that's the threat that keeps someone compliant while the baddy goes on to rape the wife and daughter.

I didn't invent the scenario, I read it in a book written by somebody who was supposed to know about these things.

I'm not going to argue the point as I have no expertise, I just mentioned it as a recommended thing by someone. It appears that others have heard the same thing.

We've heard about teachers protecting kids at school before, seems to me that the idea of attacking rather than passive protection has some merit.
How the **** do you know what is going to happen? How would you know if the burglar is going to rape someone or **** off quietly?

There are lots of books on a variety of subjects, I wouldnt recommend believing them all.

How the **** do you know what is going to happen? How would you know if the burglar is going to rape someone or **** off quietly?

There are lots of books on a variety of subjects, I wouldnt recommend believing them all.
You don't know what's going to happen but I suggest the baddy has a scenario in mind of how things will go. I suggest there'd be a dislocation of expectation if you attacked him while he threatened your kid.

Not what was supposed to happen, plan goes to shit, has to defend himself against a screaming madman and forgets all about getting stabby with kid, in order to defend himself or leggit.

It's great making shit up, innit?

That’s the same type of scenario that they have been using with women surviving rape. Its a 50/50 split as to whether to fight and risk more bodily harm and possible death, or, be docile and hope for the best. Seems it can only decided in the moment.