Hold off on the Tar and Feathers

Should the Americans hold off on the tars and feather for the High School Cop?

• Yes

Votes: 49 45.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • I like Egg Banjos

Votes: 51 47.2%

• Total voters
Shoulda slotted him just be safe......
No no, most cops (of my generation and before at least) were very pragmatic.....
It used to be standard practice to take your wooden nightstick out of the car on every call and carry it in your hand.

One day guys get a call about a Domestic Dispute, get out of the car, with nightsticks, and start walking up the three flights of stairs. As they come up to the third floor landing, male opens the door and charges at them with a machete. Lead cop clobbers him in the head and shoulder with his nightstick (broke his clavicle). We ask him later why he just didn’t pull out his gun and shoot him......his answer “ I drove in with Tommy today, if I shot him I would of had to stay and would have no way of getting home !”

True story !

Hope you don't mind but, How often did you have to qualify to carry your personal weapon? How much range time and who supplied the ammo?
Watching TV all these years all the cops are dead shots but you never see the buggers in a range.
Wondering about the reality.
Bugsy, it varies from State to State mate. The State where I live, Officers have to qualify twice annually with pistol, shotgun and rifle and it is a pretty difficult course. Saying that you will find that most Officers, the ones I knew and worked with anyway, spent at least one, of their rest days on the range keeping their skills sharp.

Our ammunition was mostly the Federal Premium stuff.

Lol ! We were transitioning when I got on, shot a revolver in the Academy. Working plainclothes I only carried my .38 snub nose.

The NYPD actually finally de-authorized revolvers in January of this year.
Yeah I read something about that on one of the LE websites a while back.

Hey guys I retired last year after a little over 20 from NYPD.......my 2 cents (or pence)

On 9/11 I will admit I was scared but I had a job to do, I didn't want to be going into the Towers and my brain was telling me NOT to go in but I put on a uniform everyday and was paid by the people in those Towers, I went in.
(Lucked out by NOT being in either when they came down)

Courage is not being unafraid it's being afraid and still doing what needs to be done.
(I don’t think I did anything particularly courageous, I just did my job)
On another note I was called to the scene of, multiple calls, a person with an Uzi holding a woman hostage in an apartment in Brooklyn.
I was the Sergeant on the scene, I only had a 9mm pistol and another Sergeant with me ran out so fast he left his gun at the Precinct, I gave him by 5-shot .38 revolverI had as a back-up gun.
We then BOTH went in because that's our job !
is.jpg
Is you and yer mate by any chance?:eek:

On a more personal note, around 2008, working the the pickpocket Squad. Get a call to the office that a guy using a stolen credit card was purchasing auto parts from the Lincoln dealership around the corner. So I walk over with one my cops who is in the office on limited duty (injured shoulder). We see the guy sitting in his car. So I have my cop hold up traffic at the corner to block him in if he tries to take off. I approach the car and give him a schpeel about that “I’m working Anti-Terrorism and someone called in because the car was idling in this location for awhile “(perp was a male Indian and we were right near the Lincoln Tunnel). Anyway I can’t persuade him to get out or shut the car off. Finally I (stupidly) reach in to open the door myself.....car goes in drive and I can’t get my hand out...,as he starts accelerating through the parking lot of the Lincoln dealership (didn’t foresee that escape angle !) I start thinking to myself “this is going to hurt” as I started punching him in the face with the barrel of my .38
I finally close my eyes as we go faster and try to do my best fetal position impression. Next thing I know I’m on the ground and get up pretty fast (after reviewing the video later I apparently did a great Capt Kirk shoulder roll off the car and popped back up !!! Kudos to me !)
He takes off out of the lot and down the street, karma then kicks in as he is t-boned by a semi truck !

So after the good doctors at Bellevue call IAB on me because of his injuries, the IAB Lieutenant asks me why I didn’t shoot him instead of punching him !!! So I said “if I shot him you would be asking me why I didn’t punch him ! “

No no, most cops (of my generation and before at least) were very pragmatic.....
It used to be standard practice to take your wooden nightstick out of the car on every call and carry it in your hand.

One day guys get a call about a Domestic Dispute, get out of the car, with nightsticks, and start walking up the three flights of stairs. As they come up to the third floor landing, male opens the door and charges at them with a machete. Lead cop clobbers him in the head and shoulder with his nightstick (broke his clavicle). We ask him later why he just didn’t pull out his gun and shoot him......his answer “ I drove in with Tommy today, if I shot him I would of had to stay and would have no way of getting home !”

True story !
Nightsticks add more to the festivities than tasers do it seems..

49er

On ROPS
On ROPs
On a more personal note, around 2008, working the the pickpocket Squad. Get a call to the office that a guy using a stolen credit card was purchasing auto parts from the Lincoln dealership around the corner. So I walk over with one my cops who is in the office on limited duty (injured shoulder). We see the guy sitting in his car. So I have my cop hold up traffic at the corner to block him in if he tries to take off. I approach the car and give him a schpeel about that “I’m working Anti-Terrorism and someone called in because the car was idling in this location for awhile “(perp was a male Indian and we were right near the Lincoln Tunnel). Anyway I can’t persuade him to get out or shut the car off. Finally I (stupidly) reach in to open the door myself.....car goes in drive and I can’t get my hand out...,as he starts accelerating through the parking lot of the Lincoln dealership (didn’t foresee that escape angle !) I start thinking to myself “this is going to hurt” as I started punching him in the face with the barrel of my .38
I finally close my eyes as we go faster and try to do my best fetal position impression. Next thing I know I’m on the ground and get up pretty fast (after reviewing the video later I apparently did a great Capt Kirk shoulder roll off the car and popped back up !!! Kudos to me !)
He takes off out of the lot and down the street, karma then kicks in as he is t-boned by a semi truck !

So after the good doctors at Bellevue call IAB on me because of his injuries, the IAB Lieutenant asks me why I didn’t shoot him instead of punching him !!! So I said “if I shot him you would be asking me why I didn’t punch him ! “
What`s IAB? Was your Indian a hot breath street shitter or an Injun bow and arrow sort?:police:

A police officer is killed in the line of duty every other day in America. Can't blame them for being afraid. How many armchair heroes would have done anything different?

I believe that the policy in Britain is for police to wait for armed support before confronting an armed criminal. That applies to criminals armed with knives as well as guns.
I have become the site bore on such topics, but in general yes.

An example of my withering can be found here

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...n-london-this-year.269322/page-8#post-8342531

I suppose President Trump is merely following in the Norfolk PCC's footsteps:

Stephen Bett, Norfolk’s police and crime commissioner, said: “Police officers never know what they are going to face on a daily basis and unfortunately these two incidents show police officers get hurt which is bad news but that’s the job they’re in I’m afraid. It’s very much a contact sport.”

Maybe He'd seen the photo of the shield used by the first guy to breach the door at the Bataclan as well...

Sucks to go up against someone with rifle when you have a 9mm.

It gets better.......FBI transcript of the top call from January........she even mentions in the first paragraph that he was “so into ISIS”
F.B.I. Transcript
The situation from all perspectives is sad, mistakes have been made and actions not taken and a bunch of slaughtered kids. Blame will be spread, but it doesn’t bring the children back, nothing will.

Is the Sherriff in America an elected politician rather than a professional police officer?
In most cases they are elected but usually have been in law enforcement in some way.
Like everything else in the US it varies from state to state. In some states they are the primary law enforcement officer of a county, in others they have law enforcement powers but have primary duties running the county correctional facilities (in my state - jail (prisoners awaiting trial) and house of correction (convicts serving 2.5 years or less) ).

In my county (Plymouth Co., Massachusetts ) the current sheriff is doing a great job. He was elected after serving 20 years as an asst. District Attorney, the last few as 1st Assistant DA. District Attorneys are not police but they certainly are law enforcement and usually have a very comprehensive knowledge of policing. Here in Massachusetts sheriffs in most counties are not generally involved police patrol work. In Dukes County and Nantucket County they are involved in police work as this counties are islands off the coast of Massachusetts (Nantucket, Martha's Vinyard, Cuttyhunk, Naushon, the Elizabeth islands etc. )