Hold off on the Tar and Feathers

Should the Americans hold off on the tars and feather for the High School Cop?

• Yes

Votes: 49 45.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • I like Egg Banjos

Votes: 51 47.2%

• Total voters

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
State Police have jurisdiction Statewide, Sheriff's Dept have jurisdiction countywide in their county and Police Departments and Township departments have jurisdiction in their city/town/village or township

State Police also handle criminal investigations for crimes such as murder, kidnapping, rape and arson and all the other crimes covered by law. Many towns/villages a lot of the time have neither the funding nor the manpower for lengthy investigations and so State Police will investigate.
Cheers, that makes a lot of sense, appreciate it!

Do you think that a Platoon of Paras and a Troop of AGC will react the same way if they came under fire?

Did I say they were taught to stay outside? Maybe the cop wasnt a super cool, ultra hard, model officer like yourself,
So what exactly are you saying? It really isn't clear any more.

So what exactly are you saying? It really isn't clear any more.
That's nobody, including you, know what training he has had. I expect SWAT practise quite regularly, some low level cop, maybe not.
Ive seen people when they are hit with a traumatic event, they arent all cool under pressure.

That's nobody, including you, know what training he has had. I expect SWAT practise quite regularly, some low level cop, maybe not.
Ive seen people when they are hit with a traumatic event, they arent all cool under pressure.
We don't know if he was taught to tap on the shoulder, hip or thigh in a stack. We don't know how he was taught to clear a corner. We don't exactly how he was taught to enter a room. But we can say with 100% surety that what he was taught for an active shooter incident was to advance to the sound of the firing, not wait outside the building.

I have said before that I have a huge amount of sympathy for him if he got there and found he couldn't physically make himself go inside, I squealed like a girl and tried to put my helmet on backwards the first time I was shot at so I know what not being 'cool under pressure' is like, but he knew he was meant to. From the little we know he was somewhere else on campus when the shooting started and the first thing he did was go directly to the building but for whatever reason he didn't go in, that's pretty bad. If the Coral Springs guys are right and there were four Broward County Deputies waiting outside, that is inexcusable.

We don't know if he was taught to tap on the shoulder, hip or thigh in a stack. We don't know how he was taught to clear a corner. We don't exactly how he was taught to enter a room. But we can say with 100% surety that what he was taught for an active shooter incident was to advance to the sound of the firing, not wait outside the building.

I have said before that I have a huge amount of sympathy for him if he got there and found he couldn't physically make himself go inside, I squealed like a girl and tried to put my helmet on backwards the first time I was shot at so I know what not being 'cool under pressure' is like, but he knew he was meant to. From the little we know he was somewhere else on campus when the shooting started and the first thing he did was go directly to the building but for whatever reason he didn't go in, that's pretty bad. If the Coral Springs guys are right and there were four Broward County Deputies waiting outside, that is inexcusable.
Soldiers are taught things as well, then forget it all when something happens for the first time. If only everyone was perfect at their first attempt.

Who know why he stayed outside, maybe he shit his pants, maybe his mind went blank, maybe he thought he could be better used directing kids in a certain directions, maybe he hated the kids, maybe he thought there was a tactical reason for staying outside, no one knows (yet) but there appears to be a lot of armchair experts on here.

Fired an slr during training and again on my killick's course, about 40 rounds in all.

Have to say that my experience tells me that if I had a pistol and was charged with safety, I'd have felt obliged to go in. It's happened in an unarmed situation when I was a doorman and outnumbered.

My brother in law tells me of patrols in Afghan where people were physically sick with fear before stepping out from a FOB but still went.

I do know that my response to violence, such that it is, is to become somewhat detached and focus on technique. Probably not the right word but it'll do. Like drills and skills, training kicking in . . .

Not actually Welsh, by the way but grew up there. Having an accent, I've always been called Taff since I joined up at 15.
As you said - "....Training kicks in...." - not forgetting ALWAYS have a drink of water facing OUT from any group you're in - you never know .....=-)

Like your B-I-L said:- Spewing is common with some lads - but usually after the second trip 'down the garden path' - as you don't know,what it's like, on your first one,do you ?
Once through the Gates,it's a different World - & you'll never be the same again !

Don't you know that drinking the Welsh Water makes you a Welshman ? - lovely cup of tea it makes ( as it's Soft Water ) not hard as it is here, with me in Surrey ^^

BTW - I'm scheduled to do my FOST Course this Summer - should be good fun, especially if I can get @Ravers to join me.....

Personally I'd rather risk getting my head blown off than live with the knowledge that I stood by and let kids get murdered despite being armed and having the means to intervene.

There's nothing heroic about it, it's a simple matter of self-respect and part of being a decent human being.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Personally I'd rather risk getting my head blown off than live with the knowledge that I stood by and let kids get murdered despite being armed and having the means to intervene.

There's nothing heroic about it, it's a simple matter of self-respect and part of being a decent human being.
Personally I'd rather not pontificate on the actions of another at such a remove.

Seems even someone who was there isnt joining the mob.

Felicia Burgin, a ninth-grade English teacher, was locked in her classroom with students on the second floor of the building, as they heard shots from the floor above.

She said the criticism of Peterson is unfair. Peterson wouldn’t have stood a chance against the gunman in hallways that were filled with students at the time, she said.

“There is no one that is going to tell you a negative thing about Deputy Peterson," she said. “He was an Eagle and he was committed to our school. I don’t know what he could have done other than literally died.”

Stoneman Douglas cop resigns; sheriff says he should have 'killed the killer'

Hard to judge. But when on £55k and your job is to defend the premises and staff/students I was suprised in the way the Officer responded.

Did he tell you about the many times soldiers reacted in the wrong way or just froze as well? Or was he in one of those regiments that some of the double hard tough guys on this thread must have been in?
Not that I recall. He was, as far as I remember, just pointing out that shit scared though they were, they carried on with what they were supposed to do. Because they'd taken the shilling.

You seem particularly exercised about a fairly innocuous post, especially considering I made no criticism of the chap in question. And I've not said it's something that should happen, merely that it was something I'd heard/read and the reasoning behind it.

Have I danced enough yet?

Personally I'd rather not pontificate on the actions of another at such a remove.
Really? Is this innovation something reckless you've promised for Lent?

Not that I recall. He was, as far as I remember, just pointing out that shit scared though they were, they carried on with what they were supposed to do. Because they'd taken the shilling.

You seem particularly exercised about a fairly innocuous post, especially considering I made no criticism of the chap in question. And I've not said it's something that should happen, merely that it was something I'd heard/read and the reasoning behind it.

Have I danced enough yet?
I just admiring the amount of hard as nails, tough guys we have on ARRSE.

Also did your brother mention that his soldiers didn't go out by themselves?

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Really? Is this innovation something reckless you've promised for Lent?
I don’t do Lent since I’m not a religious fuckwit. I also don’t hypothesise about actions I’d have taken when rounds were flying like some cross between Pun VC and Audie Murphy.

I don’t do Lent since I’m not a religious fuckwit. I also don’t hypothesise about actions I’d have taken when rounds were flying like some cross between Pun VC and Audie Murphy.
Anyone joining the Army without thinking about these issues is a moron and anyone doing a remotely kinetic tour has probably gone beyond hypothesizing about actions on.

You seem a bit grumpy this evening.

I've said before that judgement here should be after a full enquiry.

The fact? that four officers from the same department all stayed outside suggests a departmental policy of hold and contain, like Chief Constable's orders. In my suspicious mind, it also fits in with the head sheds condemnation of his colleague before the facts were fully known. Maybe something to hide. Don't get me wrong, the officer would suffer terribly from his colleagues if they thought he was a "coward" but this would be in house so to speak. Only after the enquiry, would public humiliation ensue.

Just sayin'.