Hogmanay cancelled across Scotland

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by oldbaldy, Nov 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Sign of financial reality?

Hogmanay cancelled across Scotland - Scotsman.com

2. as good an excuse to avoid Stirling at Hogmanay if ever one was needed.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. But when Alex gets crowned it will be Hogmanay every day...with jam on.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. It already is for the vast majority of shell suited, blinged up, orange skinned wasters. As one said to me once "every days a party an that man. Y' know, you think we're fools, but we get paid to do this! Who's the fool eh?"

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. ah....Wee Ecks bid to become King of Scotland.
    To the OP the reality probably is that most folk canny be arsed with Hogmanay , it's not the big event it was years ago and after over spending on Christmas there's not a lot left over . Attending one of the big events means a hotel for the night and transport there and back. The tourists can keep it !

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Good. They're uniformly shite anyway.

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Peopled by drunks having 'a good time' and families trying to avoid said drunks!
  8. Speaking as an Englishman with all the Rab C Nesbitt stereotypes to go on, surely what finer way could there be to mark a special day than by not getting filled up on Buckfast Tonic Wine, and spouting gibberish?

You're halfway there boys, and if you can lose Mr Burns, both you and The Simpsons will be better off.

The idea of Mr Salmond as king of Scotland is nice though, a fine tradition, started by Uncle Idi.
  9. The traditional way of celebrating the New year is still alive and well out West. The bells will be more like the Somme, with shotguns, rifles, flares and fireworks. Followed by up to two weeks of visiting houses and enjoying good food and a bit of drink. The mainland version with its trumpets full of drink and not much else is frowned upon. Much superior to the Christian version, christmas.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The “hassle factor”

jeez..Experts said rising health and safety costs, shrinking council budgets and the “hassle factor” involved in staging big outdoor events had triggered the decline.

Staging big outdoor events a big hassle ? what about sending troops to Afghanistan then ?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I bet the Hog's relieved.
  12. Already butchered, sausaged and hammed for the happy event.
  13. Hogmanay cancelled?? it was just an excuse to get pissed anyway, I can only assume those in authority have decided you don't need an excuse to get pissed and everone will be tottaly blottered as normal
  14. Interestingly enough, when down South and in Germany we had more hassle off the English lads at New Year than the Scots. Most of the English started getting pissed in the afternoon and were creating by 22:00. Most of the Highland lads only had a couple of drinks prior to the bells. New year is and has been for a very long time a family celebration, not a boat race to unconsciousness.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You only have yourselves to blame. At one time you were amusing but now you just drink and eat chips. Ah, the good old days when the Scotch knew how to have a good time and amuse their betters...