Hobby for the back garden!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Schaden, Nov 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

2. It's different from parking an old WW2 lorry in your drive but I'm glad he doesn't live near me. I bet his neighbours are thrilled and will flood the trench to add to the realism.
  3. Robertshaw will no doubt be visited by delegation from the Health & Safety and prats from the local council about planning permission. In an ideal world, that group will be laid end-to-end in the trench before it is filled in.

I must be thinking of another but similar thread.
  4. Don't have 60 feet to play with, but I might get the kids out digging Stage 3 trenches.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
  5. All that digging will make for a wedge wank fest.
  6. A wank fest? With sandbagging like that? I don't feckin' think so... ;-P
  7. I trust the neighbours have their gas masks handy.

The next stage is a full demonstration of a chlorine gas attack - when the wind changes!

Or when the council busy-bodies arrive.
  8. Hope he did 6-8 turns on his windlassing.
  9. Everyone is a little mad - just watch the traffic on that weird maze of roundabouts in St Albans (I think it's St Albans, I will never go there again!). But then again it could have been Milton Keynes. Or any town in the UK run by a "committee".

Someone on another forum asks if Germans do such things as this. Yes they do, but in a tidier and more profitable way. They call it "open cast" mining nowadays.

I would like to do this in my garden - the Chair (woman!) of the parish council lives next door!
  10. Think I will build one of these at the weekend, just to keep my hand in.

11. didnt fred dibnah dig a mine shaft in his back garden just to see if he could?
  12. Isn't that the bloke off the History Channel ?

edit to add

Yes he is

Andrew Robertshaw is an English military historian, curator, author and educator.[1] He is best known for his television appearances, in programmes such as Two Men in a Trench and Time Team.[2] He was a military advisor on the film War Horse.[3]
    Robertshaw is currently the Curator/Manager of the Royal Logistic Corps Museum in Deepcut, and previously worked at the National Army Museum in London, where he was Head of Education.
    From wiki
  13. it still doesnt mean its normal, i dont have a gas turbine in my front room!
  14. He was our tour guide when the Officers and SNCO's went to France on battlefield tour. Head the size of a planet and very clued up about D-Day.

Definately thought he had bats in the attic though, and its nice to be proved correct.
  15. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

You say that like you wish you did though...