Hobby Drones

Williamson wants to build swarms using commecial drones

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just thinking a bit about what happened with this one.

What if this had happened in a built up area? What if the thing had fucked off and started whizzing around a playground at 40mph?

Pretty scary when you think about it.

I’m fortunate in that I have the space to fly (and crash) these things without any risk, except to a few sheep.

Most people who fly these will be doing it in their local park.

Drone code covers the advice to Joe public Drone code - Dronesafe
In terms of planning for commercial stuff, a decent PfCO course will cover planning and use of things like skydemon and doing map recces.

Anyway, its not as big/heavy as a phantom 4, so you'd have to try very hard to really hurt a kid in the soft bleedy bits.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Drone code covers the advice to Joe public Drone code - Dronesafe
In terms of planning for commercial stuff, a decent PfCO course will cover planning and use of things like skydemon and doing map recces.

Anyway, its not as big/heavy as a phantom 4, so you'd have to try very hard to really hurt a kid in the soft bleedy bits.
I’m not talking about PfCO courses or Drone Codes. This happened regardless of training or pilot experience or planning. The thing just fucked off completely of its own accord. One minute it was functioning as it should, in a nice steady hover, the next it was flying at full speed in 500m circles.

It’d still do some damage at the speed it was travelling. Apart from anything else you’d get sued to ****.

Well that was short lived.

Went through the fairly long and laborious set up procedure, got it in the air and all was going well for about 5 mins. It flies nicely, there was a little wind but it stayed fairly steady, with a maximum sway of about a foot.

Got a couple of phots of the house, camera quality isn’t bad.

And then it just went mental. Started circling of its own accord, going in bigger and bigger circles. Controller completely frozen, no inputs doing anything. Return to home button doing nothing.

And then it just fucked off completely. Gone, can’t find it anywhere.

So that’s that.

Snottogram to Amazon inbound, off to buy a DJI Spark.

View attachment 378025
That has to be one of the funniest posts that I have read on here, one funny is not enough to do justice, have a shed load of them.
Maybe it appeals to my warped sense of humour.

One thing that has caused major problems is that the people who went down the legal route with CAA licenses and insurance were bound by tougher and more restrictive laws thanks to the stable door being left open to allow yahoo's and idiots to fly what can be pretty dangerous kit wherever they like.

RC planes and helicopters have always been difficult to fly and most people have at some stage joined a club, learnt about safety and carried out their BMFA A and B tests. It takes most RC pilots 2-6 months to pass for solo.

But with a drone you could pop down Maplins in the morning, spend £30-50 and be hovering 2lb of whizzing blades over your local footy match or in your local park by lunchtime. No training, no safety advice, just go and play.
Yes true. I remember a photographer colleague coming back from a CAA course and rather ruefully saying “great! Now I’m not allowed to fly anywhere.” Or something to that effect.
But even a couple of years ago various news organisations (the BBC springs to mind) insisted on drone pilots being licenced before they would use their material.

given what I do for a living.
I thought the whole point of you marrying all that money was so that you didn't have to earn a living!

Unless providing shags as and when required is considered a living, that is...

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I thought the whole point of you marrying all that money was so that you didn't have to earn a living!

Unless providing shags as and when required is considered a living, that is...
Ever tried doing **** all?

Gets boring after a while.

I’m not talking about PfCO courses or Drone Codes. This happened regardless of training or pilot experience or planning. The thing just fucked off completely of its own accord. One minute it was functioning as it should, in a nice steady hover, the next it was flying at full speed in 500m circles.

It’d still do some damage at the speed it was travelling. Apart from anything else you’d get sued to ****.
and planning for flyaways was part of my PfCO. id schools, colleges, within built up areas, power lines, train lines etc. Adjust flight parameters (i.e keep altitiude below 10-15m within an enclosed field or area) so if there was a fly away, a direction and distance could be assertained, or stopped.
The Parrots had an automatic mode of land when they lost signal.
The test flights and logging that the older pre DJI drone pilots do is a pretty good guide, when your gyro is a bastardised WII controller.

It sounds like it should be trading standards you should be talking to rather than the seller if they are that much of a rogue piece of equipment

went out last night got some real good 4k sunset footage got home and realised that I hadn't used the right class SD card didnt get a single frame of video despite flying for over 40 minutes the sky wasn't the only thing that was blue here last night the air was too

Ever tried doing f**k all?

Gets boring after a while.
Just coming to the end of eight weeks of being paid to do f**k all.

Last summer doing f**k all paid off my mortgage. This winter doing f**k all has so far paid for a new kitchen, bathroom and decent glazing units throughout.

Bored? Who the f**k cares...?!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Four and a half minutes of my life spunked away waiting for the flash twat to lose the thing in a spectacularly destructive interface moment and there's no cherry on the cake.

Bastard.

A couple of year ago I considered doing agricultural surveying by drone as a business / side line , the quote off a Northumberland company was a little off putting , I could buy a Cessna 150 for half the price and have more fun so didnt bother as its still early days and too risky .
DRONE QUOTE.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Four and a half minutes of my life spunked away waiting for the flash twat to lose the thing in a spectacularly destructive interface moment and there's no cherry on the cake.

Bastard.

There must've been an element of luck involved in negotiating those truss bridges. There's not much lag with a 5.8GHz video link, but...

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A couple of year ago I considered doing agricultural surveying by drone as a business / side line , the quote of a Northumberland company was a little off putting , I could buy a Cessna 150 for half the price and have more fun so didnt bother as its still early days and too risky .
View attachment 378081
I assume that’s a fixed wing thing?

The expensive part is the camera. Our drones at work are about 6 grand, but the camera is 8 grand. Double that for our thermal one.

Then add spare sets of batteries at 200 a pop (that’s per battery, you need 6 per set), peli cases for the drone and the batteries (2 grand) iPad Pro, controllers, some flight planning software, a pickup truck.

Then duplicate everything because if you break one and you have to start cancelling jobs then your business falls apart.

Then throw in some Mavics for training and to keep the wear and tear to a minimum on the big ones.

60 grand easy before you’ve even done your course and written your ops manual.

Then if you’re doing serious surveying work you’ll need proper stitching software which converts your images into 3D models and a very very powerful computer with a fuckton of storage.

Definitely not something I’d be looking to get into unless I had a massive company behind me.

It’s cost effective in the nuclear industry. As an example it costs about a grand per sq metre of scaffolding on a nuclear site and takes months of planning.

So to inspect the roof of a large building could cost literally 100s of grand. Not to mention the risk of putting human beings at height in areas like that.

We cover the set up cost of our entire team every time we fly.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Great.
(Wonder if there have been problems or that is good customer service or it is just a case of ' pay the man it's easier' ?)
Dunno.

Reading the Amazon reviews it looks like this has happened to someone else and they got a replacement.

Amazon are usually pretty good about refunds / returns.

Off to buy a Mavic Air today. Lesson learned.

Anyone want a case, charger, spare props and controller for a cheap drone?