Hobby Drones

Well that was short lived.

Went through the fairly long and laborious set up procedure, got it in the air and all was going well for about 5 mins. It flies nicely, there was a little wind but it stayed fairly steady, with a maximum sway of about a foot.

Got a couple of phots of the house, camera quality isn’t bad.

And then it just went mental. Started circling of its own accord, going in bigger and bigger circles. Controller completely frozen, no inputs doing anything. Return to home button doing nothing.

And then it just fucked off completely. Gone, can’t find it anywhere.

So that’s that.

Snottogram to Amazon inbound, off to buy a DJI Spark.

View attachment 378025
Try your place of work, it's maybe gone on a Chinese recce mission ;)

It only has 18 minutes battery life...
Can be enough to get a few KMs if it is wind assisted and there are no physical barriers such as hills or trees to go into

Can be enough to get a few KMs if it is wind assisted and there are no physical barriers such as hills or trees to go into
This is very possible , as to loss of imput/control are ther any scources of RF in the locality or any gps blocking or an area of magnetic variance , we encountered such occurrences during our development work, could be just bad luck.
The "CE" mark ?? do you mean the China Export or the EU certification of conformity, got bitten by that one by one supplier , cnut.

Such as all them mountains, forests and lakes around his gaff...

Went through the fairly long and laborious set up procedure, got it in the air and all was going well for about 5 mins. It flies nicely, there was a little wind but it stayed fairly steady, with a maximum sway of about a foot.

And then it just went mental. Started circling of its own accord, going in bigger and bigger circles. Controller completely frozen, no inputs doing anything. Return to home button doing nothing.

So that’s that.

View attachment 378025
sounds like it didnt reset the RTH position and it tried to go back to china, I bet theres no way to download the telemetry files either is there

My money is still on a neighbour shooting it

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just been out for a razz around on the quad in the general direction in which it fucked off. Can’t see it anywhere. Last image on the screen was of it on the ground in a field. I reckon I’ve covered an area of about 500 acres looking for it, but the thing is tiny.

Doesn’t help that all the fields have little tufts of white sheep wool everywhere and the thing is white.

It’s gone.

No flight paths near here, no geofences etc. Faulty drone. Like I said it worked perfectly for the first 3 mins.

Shame because it was good while it lasted.

Lesson learned, no more cheap shite off Amazon. Gonna get a Spark.

Just been out for a razz around on the quad in the general direction in which it fucked off. Can’t see it anywhere. Last image on the screen was of it on the ground in a field. I reckon I’ve covered an area of about 500 acres looking for it, but the thing is tiny.

Doesn’t help that all the fields have little tufts of white sheep wool everywhere and the thing is white.

It’s gone.

No flight paths near here, no geofences etc. Faulty drone. Like I said it worked perfectly for the first 3 mins.

Shame because it was good while it lasted.

Lesson learned, no more cheap shite off Amazon. Gonna get a Spark.

A shame that all the whistles and bells didn’t include a GPS tracking feature as well. :frown:

Some of the drone footage from the last Volvo Ocean Race was quite spectacular. I don't know what kit they used but each boat was given one and very likely a well-researched procurement package, bearing in mind the range of conditions and temperatures they'd be operating in.

So that’s that.

View attachment 378025
Is that you in the bottom right looking all excited? I mean, you must have felt chuffed, it's up there flying around, looking good, sending pictures down and it's not a bad picture, quite good actually. Well impressed with the imaging and the whole kit in a smart carry case..... really smart.

The ending a little off, I feel sorry for the sheep really. It'll turn up, probably in the tread of your quad next year.

GUTTED FOR YOU - BUT OH HOW I LAUGHED!

Thank you for having the guts to post the sorry tale, many would have just gone quiet. Have a hug :glomp:

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is that you in the bottom right looking all excited? I mean, you must have felt chuffed, its up there flying around, looking god, sending pictures down and it's not a bad picture, quite good actually. Well impressed with the imaging and the whole kit in a smart carry case..... really smart.

The ending a little off, I feel sorry for the sheep really. It'll turn up, probably in the tread of your quad next year.

GUTTED FOR YOU - BUT OH HOW I LAUGHED!

Thank you for having the guts to post the sorry tale, many would have just gone quiet. Have a hug :glomp:
I’m confident I’ll get my money back.

They can hardly accuse me of flying it wrong, given what I do for a living.

I’m confident I’ll get my money back.

They can hardly accuse me of flying it wrong, given what I do for a living.
And if you dont get your money back the whole of the arrse community will stop using Amazon! (Except for those special parcels that we do click and collect and dont have delivered to home...)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And if you dont get your money back the whole of the arrse community will stop using Amazon! (Except for those special parcels that we do click and collect and dont have delivered to home...)
The missus is ******* addicted to Amazon. Seriously I reckon we’re doing 10 grand a year on Amazon. We buy everything off there except food.