Hobby Drones

I can't remember but I don't think Visio has remote moveable camera. I'll reply more fully later or PM

Things to consider
GPS - stability easier to fly and all the return to home goodies.
Foldable - easy carry, less obvious to carry
Remote control - easier than just using a mobile/tablet especially in sunlight
Remote moveable camera - better capability
High resolution camera - definition of number plate rather than a yellow rectangle

DON'T EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY FACES - Drone cameras are not brilliant.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I can't remember but I don't think Visio has remote moveable camera. I'll reply more fully later or PM

Things to consider
GPS - stability easier to fly and all the return to home goodies.
Foldable - easy carry, less obvious to carry
Remote control - easier than just using a mobile/tablet especially in sunlight
Remote moveable camera - better capability
High resolution camera - definition of number plate rather than a yellow rectangle

DON'T EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY FACES - Drone cameras are not brilliant.
its more about getting proof of them riding on the public carriageway and footpaths, for facial images I have that cornered already
mopeds 27 september (4).JPG

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The big difference with cheap drones and decent ones is the camera / gimbal.

Anything under 200-300 quid will not have a gyro stabilised gimbal which means your videos will be shaky.

Likewise you’re unlikely to have remote rotation of the camera. The only way to make the camera look down is to land, manually move the camera with your hands and then take off again.

I posted the difference in camera quality on this thread earlier on.

The camera on a Mavic Air is basically SLR quality, the camera on a cheapo Amazon job is.....well a cheapo Amazon job.

And as I learned before, cheap drones have a tendency to **** off back to China with no warning.

I feel totally at ease and confident flying the MA as it’s completely predictable.

My only criticism is that the transmission range is a bit limited. Without boring you with the details, there are two signals that the MA works on, one works very well but is illegal to use in the EU as it’s a frequency that Emergency Sevices use. The other frequency is nowhere near as good.

You see stunning professional quality vids from MAs in the states, but it’s hard to get that sort of quality in the EU because you start to get video interference when the drone gets 100 - 200m away.

Don’t get me wrong, it still works but you occasionally get a jump in the video or lines ghosting across the screen.

For me the drone is a camera that happens to fly. I’m more interested in getting good video and photos than having a laugh flying around. So the camera is the most important thing.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lots of bits look very similar if not the same to the nightmare piece of shit that flew off on me.

Camera looks identical, as does the controller. Specs are largely similar. I’d bet money on the internals being the same.

I wouldn’t **** it with a stolen dick.

Buy a Tello or a secondhand Spark.

The big difference with cheap drones and decent ones is the camera / gimbal.

Anything under 200-300 quid will not have a gyro stabilised gimbal which means your videos will be shaky.

Likewise you’re unlikely to have remote rotation of the camera. The only way to make the camera look down is to land, manually move the camera with your hands and then take off again.

I posted the difference in camera quality on this thread earlier on.

The camera on a Mavic Air is basically SLR quality, the camera on a cheapo Amazon job is.....well a cheapo Amazon job.

And as I learned before, cheap drones have a tendency to **** off back to China with no warning.

I feel totally at ease and confident flying the MA as it’s completely predictable.

My only criticism is that the transmission range is a bit limited. Without boring you with the details, there are two signals that the MA works on, one works very well but is illegal to use in the EU as it’s a frequency that Emergency Sevices use. The other frequency is nowhere near as good.
The FCC in the USA allows higher power transmission which gives greater range. It's possible with dodgy Chinese drones to fool them into thinking they're in the US by diddling with the GPS temporarily but I suspect that DJI has got that all buttoned up.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The FCC in the USA allows higher power transmission which gives greater range. It's possible with dodgy Chinese drones to fool them into thinking they're in the US by diddling with the GPS temporarily but I suspect that DJI has got that all buttoned up.
No you can do it with DJI products too but not really worth getting caught, especially given some of the “big brother is watching” DJI kit that the police use.

Aussie bloke disseminates pending registration

The nonsense he's spouting at about 6 minutes is just that - nonsense. The new licence is analogous to registering a car. You can be the registered owner but not drive it or you can be both the registered owner and the driver.

They've had drone registration (FAA Part 107) in the USA since 2016.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The nonsense he's spouting at about 6 minutes is just that - nonsense. The new licence is analogous to registering a car. You can be the registered owner but not drive it or you can be both the registered owner and the driver.

They've had drone registration (FAA Part 107) in the USA since 2016.
I had a quick look, and many of the smaller drones are well under that weight, so it wont cover them ?

Latest Threads